Queries on RTOS

Started by a_410_99 April 12, 2004
Usually debuggers like EDB from EPI are RTOS aware. What does 'RTOS
aware' mean ? Does it means they are able to use RTOS APIs or
something ? Can anybody help me out in this?

Also where to find information on the net about RTOS awareness?

Regards
a_410_99
I guess it means it can single step through a thread while the OS in the background runs at full speed. This by keeping the timer interrupt enabled. Rene -- Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net
"a_410_99" <a_410_99@indiatimes.com> wrote in message
> Usually debuggers like EDB from EPI are RTOS aware. What does 'RTOS > aware' mean ? Does it means they are able to use RTOS APIs or > something ? Can anybody help me out in this? > > Also where to find information on the net about RTOS awareness? > > Regards > a_410_99
RTOS awareness usually means that a debugger has knowledge of the RTOS's internal structure and can display information about the state of each task, semaphore, mutex, queue etc. -- David J Edgar Cedaryacht Limited Macclesfield UK. http://www.omega-environment.com/
a_410_99 <a_410_99@indiatimes.com> wrote:
> Usually debuggers like EDB from EPI are RTOS aware. What does 'RTOS > aware' mean ? Does it means they are able to use RTOS APIs or > something ? Can anybody help me out in this? >
Tends to mean that they can show the status of tasks, semaphores, message queues etc.
> Also where to find information on the net about RTOS awareness? >
Have a look for "ORTI" for one standard for RTOS awareness - the OSEK real time OS standard defines a debugger interface. pete -- pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
In article <CDYC414860F08@cd-yacht.demon.co.uk>, david@cd-
yacht.demon.co.uk says...
> "a_410_99" <a_410_99@indiatimes.com> wrote in message > news:dc277f58.0404112332.384c7ea8@posting.google.com... > > Usually debuggers like EDB from EPI are RTOS aware. What does 'RTOS > > aware' mean ? Does it means they are able to use RTOS APIs or > > something ? Can anybody help me out in this? > > > > Also where to find information on the net about RTOS awareness? > > > > Regards > > a_410_99 > > RTOS awareness usually means that a debugger has knowledge of the RTOS's > internal structure and can display information about the state of each task, > semaphore, mutex, queue etc.
Also, conditional breakpoints can be configured to be task-aware; allows you to break when a function is called from Task A, but not when the same function is called from Task B. --Gene
In article <407a7de5$0$704$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>,
 Rene Tschaggelar <none@none.net> wrote:

> I guess it means it can single step through a thread while the OS > in the background runs at full speed. This by keeping the timer > interrupt enabled
Yes, this is important to keep the watchdog timer from tripping when the process is halted in a breakpoint. A good debugger will also allow you to freeze the state of the system, such as while debugging an interrupt handler, and still keep the watchdog from tripping. An RTOS aware debugger may also be able to easily display incoming messages or signals for the process that is currently halted in the debugger. The debugger may need to use temporary memory for tracepoints, register dumps, patches, etc. This memory may be preallocated or use the RTOS's memory management routines. Ideally, the debugger would know all about the RTOS queues, semaphores, mutexes, process states and priorities, threads, shared memory structures, etc. and display those in an easy to read and understand form. -- Tom Sheppard Real-Time Fundamentals instructor-led and web-based training courses http://www.Surreal-Time.com/
This is normaly called run-mode debugging vs. freeze-mode debugging. This does not need an RTOS (see ARMs real-view debugger). --- 42Bastian Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-) Use <same-name>@epost.de instead !
Gene S. Berkowitz <first.last@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1ae52c18cd621f249896e5@news.comcast.giganews.com>...
> In article <CDYC414860F08@cd-yacht.demon.co.uk>, david@cd- > yacht.demon.co.uk says... > > "a_410_99" <a_410_99@indiatimes.com> wrote in message > > news:dc277f58.0404112332.384c7ea8@posting.google.com... > > > Usually debuggers like EDB from EPI are RTOS aware. What does 'RTOS > > > aware' mean ? Does it means they are able to use RTOS APIs or > > > something ? Can anybody help me out in this? > > > > > > Also where to find information on the net about RTOS awareness? > > > > > > Regards > > > a_410_99 > > > > RTOS awareness usually means that a debugger has knowledge of the RTOS's > > internal structure and can display information about the state of each task, > > semaphore, mutex, queue etc. >
How do debuggers get this information from ? do they use APIs or some work is required on the part of the RTOS vendors to help the debugger in getting knowledge of the internal structure of RTOS . Like do they develop any interface as such ? How much detail information on internal structure is required to be fully RTOS aware.
> Also, conditional breakpoints can be configured to be task-aware; allows > you to break when a function is called from Task A, but not when the > same function is called from Task B. > > --Gene
Can this multitasking be carried out with the APIs provided or anything else? Can you suggest any debugger which supports Nucleus from ATI ?
Pete Fenelon <pete@fenelon.com> wrote in message news:<h75e5c.hrf.ln@fenelon.com>...
> a_410_99 <a_410_99@indiatimes.com> wrote: > > Usually debuggers like EDB from EPI are RTOS aware. What does 'RTOS > > aware' mean ? Does it means they are able to use RTOS APIs or > > something ? Can anybody help me out in this? > > > > Tends to mean that they can show the status of tasks, semaphores, > message queues etc. >
How do the debuggers perform these things means how they get information?
> > Also where to find information on the net about RTOS awareness? > > > > Have a look for "ORTI" for one standard for RTOS awareness - the OSEK > real time OS standard defines a debugger interface. > > pete
Can you suggest any books on RTOS which would be concise and written in lucid manner and contain full information on RTOSs. Any materials on Nucleus OS will be helpful ?
a_410_99 wrote:
> Pete Fenelon <pete@fenelon.com> wrote in message news:<h75e5c.hrf.ln@fenelon.com>... > >>a_410_99 <a_410_99@indiatimes.com> wrote: >> >>>Usually debuggers like EDB from EPI are RTOS aware. What does 'RTOS >>>aware' mean ? Does it means they are able to use RTOS APIs or >>>something ? Can anybody help me out in this? >>> >> >>Tends to mean that they can show the status of tasks, semaphores, >>message queues etc. >> > How do the debuggers perform these things means how they get > information? >
By accessing this imformation. Simply by having been written by the same guys, unless this information is public.
There are RTOS which come with source. There usually are also some book available. Not necessarily everything for free. Rene -- Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference