Free C compiler for MOTOROLA HC08

Started by YB April 5, 2004
Hi everybody,
I'm looking for a free C compiler for HC08.
I found SDCC, but the generated code is... bad... VERY bad...
Any ideas ?

Thanks,

--

Yvan
http://www.ybdesign.fr

The Metrowerks Codewarrior people have a special 4k limited free compiler.

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 11:54:34 +0200, "YB" <yvan@no_spam_ybdesign.fr>

>Hi everybody, >I'm looking for a free C compiler for HC08. >I found SDCC, but the generated code is... bad... VERY bad... >Any ideas ?
How about using the Atmel AVR and Imagecraft compiler instead?? I have had very good experience with that combination. The low-cost tools and compilers for AVR make it much cheaper to get started, and the I think performace of AVR is much better also. Imagecraft compilers are not free, but excellent value. They also make one for the HC08 as well, but I never used it. regards, Johnny.
On 2004-04-05, Johnny <john_wr@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:

> How about using the Atmel AVR and Imagecraft compiler instead?? > I have had very good experience with that combination. > > The low-cost tools and compilers for AVR make it much cheaper to get > started, and the I think performace of AVR is much better also. > Imagecraft compilers are not free, but excellent value.
Gcc is free, and if you're going to switch to AVR, then it's an option (with support for all sorts of programming languages you don't care about!). AFAIK, gcc doesn't support the HC08, though it does support the HC11/HC12 (and generates pretty decent code). -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! ... A housewife at is wearing a polypyrene visi.com jumpsuit!!

If you like to see a good HC08 code, try the Cosmic Compiler. 4k Version is free for download http://www.cosmic.fr (appears you speak french and the compiler is a french developement with premium support in french language directly from the developers)

Where did you find the free 4K version on the french site? I only found an outdated demo. http://www.cosmic-software.com/ (with English texts) still offers an outdated 4K free version with some bugs although I'm niggling about this since a long time. Can't understand why they don't offer the recent versions. Oliver -- Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)
"YB" <yvan@no_spam_ybdesign.fr> wrote in message
> Hi everybody, > I'm looking for a free C compiler for HC08. > I found SDCC, but the generated code is... bad... VERY bad... > Any ideas ? > > Thanks, > > -- > > Yvan > http://www.ybdesign.fr > > > > > >
Well ?? you got what you paid for..
"YB" <yvan@no_spam_ybdesign.fr> wrote in message
> Hi everybody, > I'm looking for a free C compiler for HC08. > I found SDCC, but the generated code is... bad... VERY bad... > Any ideas ? >
A year or two ago I found a $25 Nitron Demo board on their site (or in CircuitCellar maybe) and it was a fun little board. It came with Metrowerks CodeWarrior which lets you compile up to 4K bytes and it was FREE with the demo board. Check their Nitron site.
Hi,
I've bought ICC08 in 2002.
But now, I'm looking for a free C compiler (command in line) to include into
an IDE for a hardware product which I'm creating.
The goal is to have a free C compiler to have a low cost product.
But I think there is no other free C compiler... So I will provide with my
product a list with the different C compiler and their prices.

Regards,

Yvan
http://www.ybdesign.fr

"TheDoc" <TheDoc@ev1.net> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message de news:
1073pu6gjq3ei21@corp.supernews.com...
> > "YB" <yvan@no_spam_ybdesign.fr> wrote in message > news:c4rade$5e6$1@news.tiscali.fr... > > Hi everybody, > > I'm looking for a free C compiler for HC08. > > I found SDCC, but the generated code is... bad... VERY bad... > > Any ideas ? > > > > Thanks, > > > > -- > > > > Yvan > > http://www.ybdesign.fr > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Well ?? you got what you paid for.. > >
Hi!
I would like to introduce you a new alternative SDCC port for Motorola
HC08 / HC908.
It generates good and stabil code.
It is different from the main line of the SDCC HC08, and far adead .

http://sdcc-m08.sourceforge.net/

Jozsef Sarosi

SDCC-M08 Port
SDCC-M08 is a free port of the well known SDCC C compiler for Motorola
68HC08/908

Executables:

as-m08.exe : Asxxxx Assembler
link-m08.exe : Asxxxx Linker
sdcc.exe - C compiler
sdcpp.exe - C preprocessor
Features:

"Premier" state
On-hardware-tested demo (>64k)
Integral types: signed/unsigned bit, char, int, short, long and float
Periferial bit accesss
Bit fields in structures
Parameters passed in registers
Memory models: near/far RAM, FLASH
Translates for concurrent enviroment
Reentrant library with float math, sin, cos, etc.
Add-on-s:

Deb08 monitor: assembly source (step, step over, disassembler) (free from
www.silex.hu)
PONY monitor (free from L3 Systems, Inc.)

Downloads

Developers' Notes: Find usefull hints here!

(Page topics: SDCC, Motorola, 68HC08, HC08, HC908, free C compiler, ASxxxx
assembler)
Presented by Jozsef Sarosi
Mail: sdccm08 (AT) freemail.hu
Last updated: 2004.03.22