SPI RTC

Started by Dick Ginther March 31, 2004
Hi,
    Does anyone know of a small smt real-time clock (RTC) that has a SPI
interface?  Ideally, the device could still operate with a very low battery
voltage and would have a very low standby current spec.
    Anybody have a favourite part or know of one?  Thanks.

Dick Ginther wrote:

> Hi, > Does anyone know of a small smt real-time clock (RTC) that has a SPI > interface? Ideally, the device could still operate with a very low battery > voltage and would have a very low standby current spec. > Anybody have a favourite part or know of one? Thanks. > >
( -> Maxim have some very low power RTC ! ) Why not I2C ? Using I2C protocol, you will save some IOs and the read/write register access of your RTC will be just easy. Larry, www.amontec.com
microcontroller only has a spi interface....

"Amontec Team, Laurent Gauch" <laurent.gauch@amontecDELETEALLCAPS.com> wrote
in message news:406B04F5.8090402@amontecDELETEALLCAPS.com...
I was going to recommend DS1302 but that has a bidirectional data pin, not true SPI. Have a look at Dallas (Maxim), they should have something. -- Mike Page BEng(Hons) MIEE www.eclectic-web.co.uk
Dick Ginther schrieb:

> microcontroller only has a spi interface....
You could bit-bang I2C on two port pins. -- Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Ma&#4294967295;. http://www.autometer.de
http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/timers/real_time_clocks.cfm
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm?qv_pk=3029&ln= MAX6902 is only
$1.45.

There are more choices if you have I2C.

Eric
www.RyherdVentures.com

"Dick Ginther" <dick.ginther@vcom.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi, > Does anyone know of a small smt real-time clock (RTC) that has a SPI > interface? Ideally, the device could still operate with a very low
battery
> voltage and would have a very low standby current spec. > Anybody have a favourite part or know of one? Thanks.
Hi We are using Epsom RTC4553 with build in quarz. Its only similar to SPI. But Epsom has got lots of more RTC with differnet interface. Reto
"Mike Page" <mike@SCRUBeclectic-CAPSweb.BLAMEco.SWENuk> wrote in message
> Dick Ginther wrote: > > Hi, > > Does anyone know of a small smt real-time clock (RTC) that has a SPI > > interface? Ideally, the device could still operate with a very low
battery
> > voltage and would have a very low standby current spec. > > Anybody have a favourite part or know of one? Thanks. > > > > > > I was going to recommend DS1302 but that has a bidirectional data pin, > not true SPI. Have a look at Dallas (Maxim), they should have something. > > -- > Mike Page BEng(Hons) MIEE www.eclectic-web.co.uk
Yes, Dallas/Maxim has several SPI models..just check their web site. Pygmi
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:54:21 -0600, "Dick Ginther"
<dick.ginther@vcom.com> wrote:

>Hi, > Does anyone know of a small smt real-time clock (RTC) that has a SPI >interface? Ideally, the device could still operate with a very low battery >voltage and would have a very low standby current spec. > Anybody have a favourite part or know of one? Thanks. >
I am using the DS1305EN. One of the very few SPI RTCs I found when I initially searched. AFAIKR it is avaialble from Digikey. Regards Anton Erasmus