Porting JAM-Player from 8051 to AVR?

Started by Patrik March 18, 2004
hi,

1st did anyone do the portation?
2nd Does anyone knows a document where portation from 8051 (Keil C++) to
AVR (GCC) is described in general?
3rd Can anyone tell me how I port a UART Interface from 8051 to AVR in C?

Thanx,
Patrik

--
"Patrik" <pclad.adr@firemail.de> skrev i meddelandet
> hi, > > 1st did anyone do the portation? > 2nd Does anyone knows a document where portation from 8051 (Keil C++) to > AVR (GCC) is described in general? > 3rd Can anyone tell me how I port a UART Interface from 8051 to AVR in C? > > Thanx, > Patrik >
Look at Atmel Appnotes for the UART ? -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This is a personal view which may or may not be share by my Employer Atmel Nordic AB
I suggest starting with JAM/JBC player that runs in PC. and port that to
another processor, if you do not have 8051 part to test your original code
it can be difficult to debug ported code. I found it helpful to be able to
compare working PC version to embedded one.

-Pasi-

Patrik <pclad.adr@firemail.de> writes:

> 1st did anyone do the portation? > 2nd Does anyone knows a document where portation from 8051 (Keil C++) > to AVR (GCC) is described in general?
Porting the JBC player requires some effort. First of all, the system is rather lasge and it requires significant resources (especially memory). With a slow processor it is not very fast, either. Someone suggested porting the PC-based JAM player. Just to give you some estimate of the system, the main module (jamexec.c) is over 200 kB of source code. The total size of the sources is >400 kB. While a lot of this is just comments and white space, there is a lot of code, as well. The JBC player is a better alternative for embedded systems. (The '51 versio is a JBC player.) But still its PC version is rather large, 100 kB of source. By comparing the object file size (for Pentium), the JBC player is around one half of the JAM player. Also, the player requires a lot of RAM. It has a static RAM allocation system, so it can be used on embedded platforms without malloc(). However, some JAM/JBC files seem to be prone of running out of some part of the memory (stack/heap). I have had some problems with Xilinx CPLD files; a 64-cell CPLD was not programmed before increasing some memory settings and recompiling the JAM player. I am not saying that the program could not be ported to AVR. If it runs in a '51 (even though probably not in the plain vanilla 8051), it will run on some AVR variant. However, do not expect the porting to be very easy. Especially the debugging phase may be interesting... - Ville -- Ville Voipio, Dr.Tech., M.Sc. (EE)

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference