Demise of the COM port?

Started by Viktor Kesler March 18, 2004
First it was notebooks, now even desktop PCs are made with just one or no
RS232 ports.
What's happening?
For us embedded engineers who have developed uC products that communicate
with PCs through COM ports, this situation is getting scary.
I know USB/RS232 converters exist, but they're an added cost, very often
make rebooting necessary and are often the cause of delays which can cause
problems with protocols that worked well on genuine COM ports.

The asynch interface may not be fast, but it's cheap, easy to isolate
galvanically and most uControllers have it built in.

Can we do anything about this trend? Wear 'COM port rulz' or 'USB go home'
t-shirts or something?

"Viktor Kesler" <viktor@REMOVEcardware.co.yu> wrote in message

> Can we do anything about this trend? Wear 'COM port rulz' or 'USB go home' > t-shirts or something?
I like com ports too, and luckily for me, my laptop has one... You could look for a PCMCIA (PCCARD) com port card? I am sure that a PCCARD com port would have the same latency of a real com port... --Keith Brafford
Viktor Kesler wrote:

> First it was notebooks, now even desktop PCs are made with just one or no > RS232 ports. > What's happening? > For us embedded engineers who have developed uC products that communicate > with PCs through COM ports, this situation is getting scary. > I know USB/RS232 converters exist, but they're an added cost, very often > make rebooting necessary and are often the cause of delays which can cause > problems with protocols that worked well on genuine COM ports. > > The asynch interface may not be fast, but it's cheap, easy to isolate > galvanically and most uControllers have it built in. > > Can we do anything about this trend? Wear 'COM port rulz' or 'USB go home' > t-shirts or something?
I think serial cards are still available. Ian
Viktor Kesler wrote:

> First it was notebooks, now even desktop PCs are made with just one or no > RS232 ports. > What's happening?
It has been replaced by the Universal Serial Port. (period)
> For us embedded engineers who have developed uC products that communicate > with PCs through COM ports, this situation is getting scary.
Here is your chance to upgrade all those applications !-)
> I know USB/RS232 converters exist, but they're an added cost, very often > make rebooting necessary and are often the cause of delays which can cause > problems with protocols that worked well on genuine COM ports.
But internal support (i.e. motherboard chip) is cheap.
> The asynch interface may not be fast, but it's cheap, easy to isolate > galvanically and most uControllers have it built in.
Too true.
> Can we do anything about this trend? Wear 'COM port rulz' or 'USB go home' > t-shirts or something?
"tea shirts"? Hmm, probably not. - RM

"Viktor Kesler" <viktor@REMOVEcardware.co.yu> wrote in

> First it was notebooks, now even desktop PCs are made with just one or > no RS232 ports. > What's happening? > For us embedded engineers who have developed uC products that > communicate with PCs through COM ports, this situation is getting > scary. I know USB/RS232 converters exist, but they're an added cost, > very often make rebooting necessary and are often the cause of delays > which can cause problems with protocols that worked well on genuine > COM ports. > > The asynch interface may not be fast, but it's cheap, easy to isolate > galvanically and most uControllers have it built in. > > Can we do anything about this trend? Wear 'COM port rulz' or 'USB go > home' t-shirts or something? > > > > > > >
Usually you can fake it with a USB to serial adapter assuming that you communicate with standard COM calls. I am more worried about the disappearance of the Parallel Port. Most new printers have a USB port. This is going to be a problem with all the simple programmers that we use for programming PLDs, Microcontrollers, etc. -- Al Clark Danville Signal Processing, Inc. -------------------------------------------------------------------- comp.dsp conference July 28 - Aug 1, 2004 details at http://www.danvillesignal.com/index.php?id=compdsp email: compdsp@danvillesignal.com Who says you can't teach an old dog a new DSP trick?
Viktor Kesler <viktor@removecardware.co.yu> wrote:

> First it was notebooks, now even desktop PCs are made with just one > or no RS232 ports. What's happening?
Intel in their infinite wisdom have decided that PCs don't need all those "legacy" ports any more. Instead of PS/2 key/mouse, parallel and serial ports, you get USB. But that initiative has been announced and progressing nicely for *years* now. Where've you been all that time? Actually, I think the situation is relatively benign for serial ports, so far. You try to find a notebook with a fully functional parallel port (EPP/ECP/ISO modes included) and you'll find that's even harder.
> For us embedded engineers who have developed uC products that > communicate with PCs through COM ports, this situation is getting > scary.
Maybe we've just let ourselves be spoilt by the long-standing fact that COTS PCs were quite nice and cheap development machines to do embedded work on. But there's no law saying this must remain so forever. So treat your existing machines well --- they may be the last of their kind. And that's before you even start considering the next wave of "innovations", which rather likely will include a Ball-and-Chain device (a.k.a. TCPM). -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:53:35 GMT, Rick Merrill
<RickMerrill@comTHROW.net> wrote:

>Viktor Kesler wrote: > >> First it was notebooks, now even desktop PCs are made with just one or no >> RS232 ports. >> What's happening? > >It has been replaced by the Universal Serial Port. (period) > > >> For us embedded engineers who have developed uC products that communicate >> with PCs through COM ports, this situation is getting scary. > >Here is your chance to upgrade all those applications !-) > >
The applications are not the problem. There isn't any USB hardware available for many of the smaller processors, even if they could keep up with the transfer rate. I still work with new devices that can't handle more than 1200 bits per second data transfer. And even you couldn't convince my boss to spend the extra money for faster processors with more memory. Bob McConnell N2SPP
Viktor Kesler wrote:
> > First it was notebooks, now even desktop PCs are made with just one or no > RS232 ports. > What's happening? > For us embedded engineers who have developed uC products that communicate > with PCs through COM ports, this situation is getting scary. > I know USB/RS232 converters exist, but they're an added cost, very often > make rebooting necessary and are often the cause of delays which can cause > problems with protocols that worked well on genuine COM ports. > > The asynch interface may not be fast, but it's cheap, easy to isolate > galvanically and most uControllers have it built in. > > Can we do anything about this trend? Wear 'COM port rulz' or 'USB go home' > t-shirts or something?
Yes, you can get used to the change and start working *with* USB instead of fighting it. The mighty oak tree breaks in the wind while the lowly reed bends with it. :) For example, the give away Cypress PSOC invention board uses USB. One chip, likely cheaper than an RS-232 converter, provides the USB interface. The connectors come in two flavors, small and tiny. It was designed from the get-go (not gecko) to be low cost and yet run at 12 Mbps at 5 meters. I like it and I will be getting very used to it. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
Al Clark <dsp@danvillesignal.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94B0B4B091990aclarkdanvillesignal@66.133.130.30>...
> Usually you can fake it with a USB to serial adapter assuming that you > communicate with standard COM calls. > > I am more worried about the disappearance of the Parallel Port. Most new > printers have a USB port. This is going to be a problem with all the > simple programmers that we use for programming PLDs, Microcontrollers, > etc.
Of course USB->parallel adapters exist too (appear to be about $25). Never used one, and I don't know how much low-level control they leave to the application (which may limit their use for some of those applications).
Bob McConnell <rmcconne@NOSPAM.lightlink.com> writes:

> The applications are not the problem.
They are if you don't have the budget :-) The problem is that the PC has become a generic tool for engineering, even though it is being designed and redesigned with the assumption that it is a Windows(tm) memo processor. Ie, the designer wants to market the PC to the typical user, whereas engineers are in a niche market. You can't expect the PC manufacturers to want to support that niche market. However you should be able to expect to find niche manufacturers who'll sell PCI, USB, or ethernet adapters. -- Darin Johnson "Look here. There's a crop circle in my ficus!" -- The Tick

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference