Schematic Edition Tool : Suggestions

Started by Francisco Camarero March 16, 2004

Hello !

We are an academic institution teaching our students VLSI design, from FPGA
to full custom ASIC. We have put great value on teaching VHDL during the
past years with very good results from our students.

However, we have the impression that these students have difficulties
working with  schematics as tools to document and express their
architectural ideas, in part because we did not provide them with such a
schematic edition tool and thus, we are currently thinking about adding
such a tool to our design flow.

Among the requirements that we have collected for such a tool would be:

- real schematic edition tool, and not just a drawing tool, i.e:
   - recognizes and keep the connectivity
   - understands connectors and inversion bubbles
   - can select whole nets and name them
   - is able to work with hierarchical schematics
   - makes a graphic difference between scalars and vectors (buses)

- available for different plattforms: Wintel, Linux, Mac OSX

- from the cost viewpoint, affordable by students, i.e: no high-end tool

- a library with block level (adder, multiplier, ALU, registers, datapath
  elements, memory, etc.) symbols is available, or can easily be buit.

- the tool must be able to netlist any schematic hierarchy into a VHDL
  skeleton with entities declaration, instantiation statements and
  architecture templates so that it support the VHDL code writing.

Any suggestions?

Fran
"Francisco Camarero" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> However, we have the impression that these students have difficulties > working with schematics as tools to document and express their > architectural ideas, in part because we did not provide them with such a > schematic edition tool and thus, we are currently thinking about adding > such a tool to our design flow. > > Among the requirements that we have collected for such a tool would be:
(...)
> Any suggestions?
EagleCAD? It does not fulfill all your needs but it's free (small version suitable for students) and scalable to a full-blown system. Unfortunately it can't easily handle transition to logic/FPGA.
<snip>

> Any suggestions?
"Francisco Camarero" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello ! > > We are an academic institution teaching our students VLSI design, from
FPGA
> to full custom ASIC. We have put great value on teaching VHDL during the > past years with very good results from our students. > > However, we have the impression that these students have difficulties > working with schematics as tools to document and express their > architectural ideas, in part because we did not provide them with such a > schematic edition tool and thus, we are currently thinking about adding > such a tool to our design flow. > > Among the requirements that we have collected for such a tool would be: > > - real schematic edition tool, and not just a drawing tool, i.e: > - recognizes and keep the connectivity > - understands connectors and inversion bubbles > - can select whole nets and name them > - is able to work with hierarchical schematics > - makes a graphic difference between scalars and vectors (buses) > > - available for different plattforms: Wintel, Linux, Mac OSX > > - from the cost viewpoint, affordable by students, i.e: no high-end tool > > - a library with block level (adder, multiplier, ALU, registers, datapath > elements, memory, etc.) symbols is available, or can easily be buit. > > - the tool must be able to netlist any schematic hierarchy into a VHDL > skeleton with entities declaration, instantiation statements and > architecture templates so that it support the VHDL code writing. > > Any suggestions? > > > Fran
There are some integrated schematic and VHDL tools that come with the free Xilinx ISE web edition and free versions of Altera Quartus.
Have a look at www.expressivesystems.com this tool is used by a few
European Uni's to teach language based design.

Regards,

Steve

Francisco Camarero <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<4056A867.9351BC4D@nospam.com>...
> Hello ! > > We are an academic institution teaching our students VLSI design, from FPGA > to full custom ASIC. We have put great value on teaching VHDL during the > past years with very good results from our students. > > However, we have the impression that these students have difficulties > working with schematics as tools to document and express their > architectural ideas, in part because we did not provide them with such a > schematic edition tool and thus, we are currently thinking about adding > such a tool to our design flow. > > Among the requirements that we have collected for such a tool would be: > > - real schematic edition tool, and not just a drawing tool, i.e: > - recognizes and keep the connectivity > - understands connectors and inversion bubbles > - can select whole nets and name them > - is able to work with hierarchical schematics > - makes a graphic difference between scalars and vectors (buses) > > - available for different plattforms: Wintel, Linux, Mac OSX > > - from the cost viewpoint, affordable by students, i.e: no high-end tool > > - a library with block level (adder, multiplier, ALU, registers, datapath > elements, memory, etc.) symbols is available, or can easily be buit. > > - the tool must be able to netlist any schematic hierarchy into a VHDL > skeleton with entities declaration, instantiation statements and > architecture templates so that it support the VHDL code writing. > > Any suggestions? > > > Fran
The Quartus product from Altera will suit your needs, and includes a
schematic editor with netlisting capabilities.. The Quartus design entry
system  allows you to mix and match VHDL, Verilog and Schematics. The
product however does not support the MacOS, but will meet all the other
requirements, and is widely used by universities today. The built in text
editor has support for HDL language templates, and the language parser has
good error location capabilities into the Text Editor.