altenative 32 bit processor

Started by Jerome March 15, 2004
looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high
throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC
or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD,
Motorola, AMD....

any recommendations/experiences ?

thanks!

"Jerome" <jerome_l_horowitz@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
> looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high > throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC > or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD, > Motorola, AMD.... > > any recommendations/experiences ? >
SPARC will get you there if you accept a 64 bitter. Will not let you stay clear of Sun and TI though... Main problem could be that they want to stay clear of you :-) Have no clue if they will sell you chips. My guess is that MIPS will get you there as well. Most ARM do not have FPU, but maybe the new OMAP2 from TI with ARM 11 could do the job if you can get hold of them. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This is a personal view which may or may not be share by my Employer Atmel Nordic AB
jerome_l_horowitz@yahoo.com (Jerome) wrote in

> looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high > throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC > or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD, > Motorola, AMD....
Why not an IBM PowerPC. Failing that, try one of the MIPS CPUs (e.g. PMC-Sierra has a powerful MIPS with FPU). Does ARM have an FPU? -- - Mark -> --
Jerome wrote:
> > looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high > throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC > or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD, > Motorola, AMD.... > > any recommendations/experiences ? > > thanks!
I believe there are ARM9 CPUs around that run that fast. I won't tell you to look at the Intel StrongARM :) But you can start at the ARM web site. If you nose around you will find a vendor list of chip makers. If you can't find it, I can email you a copy. They do hide it pretty well. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
ARM9 normally does not have the FPU and is more typical 200 MIPS. You will need ARM11 and there are not plenty around. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This is a personal view which may or may not be share by my Employer Atmel Nordic AB
Jerome wrote:
> looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high > throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC > or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD, > Motorola, AMD.... > > any recommendations/experiences ?
This list does not include TI, Analog Devices, Philips, Infineon, NEC, Renesas, MIPS, ARM... so plenty to research...
Jerome wrote:

> looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high > throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC > or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD, > Motorola, AMD.... > > any recommendations/experiences ? > > thanks!
How about Renesas (ex. Hitachi) SH4? 300MIPS for the "slowest" part, 430MIPS for the higher end devices. (according to Renesas web site) Jens
Jerome <jerome_l_horowitz@yahoo.com> wrote:
: looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high
: throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC
: or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD,
: Motorola, AMD....

Depending on what you really want the FPU for (if it can be
replaced by DSP fixedpoint instructions) the TriCore might
be interesting:

 http://www.infineon.com/cgi/ecrm.dll/ecrm/scripts/prod_cat.jsp?oid=-8138

Probabely a bit slow on throughput though. But then again,
it _is_ a Triple (independent) Core architecture. Never used
it myself, but it does look intriguing.

--
  Never ever underestimate the power of human stupidity.
  -Robert Anson Heinlein

		GeirFRS@INVALID.and.so.forth
Jim Granville <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> wrote in message news:<Ukr5c.1556$u%1.241075@news02.tsnz.net>...
> Jerome wrote: > > looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high > > throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC > > or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD, > > Motorola, AMD.... > > > > any recommendations/experiences ? > > This list does not include TI, Analog Devices, Philips, > Infineon, NEC, Renesas, MIPS, ARM... so plenty to research...
MIPS sounds like a good alternative ..... will definetely look into that... sounds like ARM does not support FPU.... just a follow up... I have nothing against the IBM,Motorola,Intel,AMD products that I identified... as a matter of fact we use them quite a bit.. its just that this embedded project requires a non PowerPC or Pentium (x86) CPU...... hence my difficulty in finding CPU's that rival them... still need to look for 2nd choice to MIPS...
jerome_l_horowitz@yahoo.com (Jerome) wrote in message news:<3f238731.0403151318.782b0d62@posting.google.com>...
> looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high > throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC > or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD, > Motorola, AMD.... >
VR4133 from NEC. VR7701, if power consumption is not a big concern.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference