ANN: new Pulsonix version 3 PCB software released

Started by Leon Heller March 12, 2004
I've been helping to beta test version 3 of Pulsonix for the last few
months. It has now been released and is available for download from:

http://www.pulsonix.com.

Without a license it's a full working demo (up to 100 pins for schematic
entry and PCB design) and Pulsonix will provide a 30 day license for a
fuller evaluation on request.

Pulsonix support is excellent and bugs get fixed very quickly, unlike some
other products I could name. Support is also available via the Pulsonix
Users Group:

which doesn't get a lot of use as the software is very intuitive and easy to
use.

It comes with comprehensive new libraries including lots of Xilinx and
Altera parts. There are numerous additions and enhancements including an
optional Chip Packaging Toolkit.

Leon

Leon Heller wrote:
> > I've been helping to beta test version 3 of Pulsonix for the last few > months. It has now been released and is available for download from: > > http://www.pulsonix.com. > > Without a license it's a full working demo (up to 100 pins for schematic > entry and PCB design) and Pulsonix will provide a 30 day license for a > fuller evaluation on request. > > Pulsonix support is excellent and bugs get fixed very quickly, unlike some > other products I could name. Support is also available via the Pulsonix > Users Group: > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PulsonixUG/ > > which doesn't get a lot of use as the software is very intuitive and easy to > use. > > It comes with comprehensive new libraries including lots of Xilinx and > Altera parts. There are numerous additions and enhancements including an > optional Chip Packaging Toolkit.
I would suggest that the demo version be upped to 500 pins. Heck, most of the chips I use have more than 100 pins. I find that a lot of vendors are so afraid that someone will actually use their product without paying for that they make it hard to eval the product. I can't speak for others, but I don't even bother to eval products unless I can work it into my work schedule as useful work. Why would I bother to spend a couple of days to play with a new tool when I should be working? It's not like there aren't plenty of PCB packages out there that are easy to use. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
Leon Heller wrote:

> I've been helping to beta test version 3 of Pulsonix for the last few > months. It has now been released and is available for download from: > > http://www.pulsonix.com. > > Without a license it's a full working demo (up to 100 pins for schematic > entry and PCB design) and Pulsonix will provide a 30 day license for a > fuller evaluation on request. >
When advertising commercial software it's a good idea to state which platform(s) and/or operating system(s) it is available for. While this product is no doubt excellent, it appears to be be available only for Windows. Paul
"rickman" <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Leon Heller wrote: > > > > I've been helping to beta test version 3 of Pulsonix for the last few > > months. It has now been released and is available for download from: > > > > http://www.pulsonix.com. > > > > Without a license it's a full working demo (up to 100 pins for schematic > > entry and PCB design) and Pulsonix will provide a 30 day license for a > > fuller evaluation on request. > > > > Pulsonix support is excellent and bugs get fixed very quickly, unlike
some
> > other products I could name. Support is also available via the Pulsonix > > Users Group: > > > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PulsonixUG/ > > > > which doesn't get a lot of use as the software is very intuitive and
easy to
> > use. > > > > It comes with comprehensive new libraries including lots of Xilinx and > > Altera parts. There are numerous additions and enhancements including an > > optional Chip Packaging Toolkit. > > I would suggest that the demo version be upped to 500 pins. Heck, most > of the chips I use have more than 100 pins. > > I find that a lot of vendors are so afraid that someone will actually > use their product without paying for that they make it hard to eval the > product. I can't speak for others, but I don't even bother to eval > products unless I can work it into my work schedule as useful work. Why > would I bother to spend a couple of days to play with a new tool when I > should be working? It's not like there aren't plenty of PCB packages > out there that are easy to use.
Pulsonix will provide a full 30 day license on request. Leon
Leon Heller wrote:
> > "rickman" <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:405214D6.9711C1A3@yahoo.com... > > Leon Heller wrote: > > > > > > I've been helping to beta test version 3 of Pulsonix for the last few > > > months. It has now been released and is available for download from: > > > > > > http://www.pulsonix.com. > > > > > > Without a license it's a full working demo (up to 100 pins for schematic > > > entry and PCB design) and Pulsonix will provide a 30 day license for a > > > fuller evaluation on request. > > > > > > Pulsonix support is excellent and bugs get fixed very quickly, unlike > some > > > other products I could name. Support is also available via the Pulsonix > > > Users Group: > > > > > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PulsonixUG/ > > > > > > which doesn't get a lot of use as the software is very intuitive and > easy to > > > use. > > > > > > It comes with comprehensive new libraries including lots of Xilinx and > > > Altera parts. There are numerous additions and enhancements including an > > > optional Chip Packaging Toolkit. > > > > I would suggest that the demo version be upped to 500 pins. Heck, most > > of the chips I use have more than 100 pins. > > > > I find that a lot of vendors are so afraid that someone will actually > > use their product without paying for that they make it hard to eval the > > product. I can't speak for others, but I don't even bother to eval > > products unless I can work it into my work schedule as useful work. Why > > would I bother to spend a couple of days to play with a new tool when I > > should be working? It's not like there aren't plenty of PCB packages > > out there that are easy to use. > > Pulsonix will provide a full 30 day license on request.
I read that. But unless a tool allows me to do *useful* work, I don't have the time to eval it. Giving me 30 days puts me in a position where I *have* to buy it if I want to maintain a design. I recently used Eagle to design a small board. I don't think it is the best tool around, but it is good enough for many designs. I will be able to maintain this design indefinitely without having to purchase the SW. If I decide that this tool is good enough for the rest of my work, I *will* buy it. But unless I could have done a useful design initially, I would not even have considered it. My point is that for me, the price of my time for evaluating a product is to provide a tool that I can do *useful* work with as part of the eval. This precludes 100 pins or 30 day limits. This is just my opinion. I am sure you will find lots of users who are willing to spend their time and money to eval a tool. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:47:17 -0000, "Leon Heller"
<leon_heller@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Pulsonix will provide a full 30 day license on request.
Wouldn't be any good for me, at least. I've had stacks of 30 day evaluation copies of all sorts of software over the years but the continual problem I face is in not being able to spare enough time in one month between first trying to use the program and its expiry to be able to produce anything useful or even form any constructive opinions. It would be far better IMV if the developer provided say a 72 hour limit on actual use (tallying up several seperate periods of such use) rather than a plain 30 days to expiry where during most of that time, we've more pressing matters to attend to and the clock's ticking away with the program laying idle on hard disk. -- The BBC: Licensed at public expense to spread lies.
> My point is that for me, the price of my time for evaluating a product > is to provide a tool that I can do *useful* work with as part of the > eval. This precludes 100 pins or 30 day limits. This is just my > opinion. I am sure you will find lots of users who are willing to spend > their time and money to eval a tool. >
I've looked at many Layout products over the years. I believe I can assess if a product has possibilities within a couple of hours - many times far less for the horror products. For those passing the 2 hour tests I can assess upto 90% of the capability within 8 hours. For the other 10%, yes maybe you have to layout a decent size board and that might take a week using a full evaluation... I would say the Pulsonix demo and evaluation period is more than adequate to assess the capabilities. Still, I guess I'm biased as I use Pulsonix. IMO it's about the best product around and beats OrCAD, PADS and Protel hands-down. I tried Eagle again this week and what a shock! It looks prehistoric by comparison... Don Prescott
"Don Prescott" <DMBPrescott@aol.com> wrote in message
> > My point is that for me, the price of my time for evaluating a product > > is to provide a tool that I can do *useful* work with as part of the > > eval. This precludes 100 pins or 30 day limits. This is just my > > opinion. I am sure you will find lots of users who are willing to spend > > their time and money to eval a tool. > > > > > I've looked at many Layout products over the years. I believe I can > assess if a product has possibilities within a couple of hours - many > times far less for the horror products. For those passing the 2 hour > tests I can assess upto 90% of the capability within 8 hours. For the > other 10%, yes maybe you have to layout a decent size board and that > might take a week using a full evaluation... I would say the Pulsonix > demo and evaluation period is more than adequate to assess the > capabilities. > > Still, I guess I'm biased as I use Pulsonix. IMO it's about the best > product around and beats OrCAD, PADS and Protel hands-down. I tried > Eagle again this week and what a shock! It looks prehistoric by > comparison...
If you want another shock look at this abortion: http://www.otl.co.uk/ The developer seems to have a very high opinion of it, but it doesn't even have rubber-banding on the connections! Leon
i have downloaded at link for 3.0 ..

but that is always the 2.1 version !!

Pierre

"ABCDEF" <F5BJR@10online.fr> wrote in message
> i have downloaded at link for 3.0 .. > > but that is always the 2.1 version !!
This has been raised on the Pulsonix User Group forum. I've checked and the download is really Version 3.0 Build 1563. They updated the web page in a hurry and got the version number wrong when they rebuilt the software. I've told them about it and they should be rectifying it on Monday. Leon