Home Development Kit and Example SW Project.

Started by Dan March 3, 2004
Hi,

I am currently looking to advance my embedded development skills and would
like to develop some software at home...

Can anybody suggest a development kit that I could use for home
development - Such as a microprocessor with peripheral support such as a
UART, RAM, possibly FLASH etc...  I would also like the device to program
the microprocessor.  Preferably it would support C/C++ and be fairly cheap.

That leads on to my next question - Any ideas what software I could develop?
Something interesting that I could use at home - Possibly with mobile
phones??

Thank you.

Dan.

"Dan" <danielwatkinslearn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > I am currently looking to advance my embedded development skills and would > like to develop some software at home... > > Can anybody suggest a development kit that I could use for home > development - Such as a microprocessor with peripheral support such as a > UART, RAM, possibly FLASH etc... I would also like the device to program > the microprocessor. Preferably it would support C/C++ and be fairly
cheap.

Have a look at Texas Instruments MSP430 series. I recently started using them for hobby projects and for about $20 you'r up and running since the complete development environment is free (mspgcc, mspgdb etc.) Olimex.com has some starter kits and header boards plus a very low price JTAG programmer. Henrik
"Dan" <danielwatkinslearn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > I am currently looking to advance my embedded development skills and would > like to develop some software at home... > > Can anybody suggest a development kit that I could use for home > development - Such as a microprocessor with peripheral support such as a > UART, RAM, possibly FLASH etc... I would also like the device to program > the microprocessor. Preferably it would support C/C++ and be fairly
cheap.
> > That leads on to my next question - Any ideas what software I could
develop?
> Something interesting that I could use at home - Possibly with mobile > phones?? > > Thank you. > > Dan.
Dontronics (Don is frequently - and sometimes justly - accused of blowing his own horn in this group) has some excellent and cheap kits for the AVR, which I'd recommend as a good beginners processor with versions with all the stuff you'd like - except C++ and you'll soon change your mind about that on a limited memory processor. Check out www.dontronics.com. Cheers, Alf --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.601 / Virus Database: 382 - Release Date: 29/02/2004
http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com (kits from $139) http://www.zworld.com http://www.imaginetools.com ($99 dollar kit)
Dan wrote:

>Hi, > >I am currently looking to advance my embedded development skills and would >like to develop some software at home... > >Can anybody suggest a development kit that I could use for home >development - Such as a microprocessor with peripheral support such as a >UART, RAM, possibly FLASH etc... I would also like the device to program >the microprocessor. Preferably it would support C/C++ and be fairly cheap.
My current project involves a Zilog Z8 Encore and I'm doing initial development using their evaluation kit (P/N Z8F08200100KIT). This includes a board, wall wart, "smart" cable to download code from a serial port, and CD with docs, assembler/compiler, and an IDE. The board includes a ZF0822 (includes GPIO, flash controller, four 10-bit ADCs, UART, I2C and SPI controllers, and two counter/timers), a MAX3222 driving a serial port, three LEDs, two pushbutton switches (one is reset), and a prototyping area. The price from DigiKey and Mouser for all of this is a rediculously low $40 and all I needed to get up and running a demo program was a serial cable! This has got to be the best value of its kind I have ever seen! Check it out: http://www.zilog.com/products/partdetails.asp?id=Z8F08200100KIT
>That leads on to my next question - Any ideas what software I could develop? >Something interesting that I could use at home - Possibly with mobile >phones??
Connect a thermistor to one of the ADCs and code a thermometer. Drive a relay with a GPIO line and you've got a thermostat. Write a serial interface and it's a programmable thermostat. There are enough real world problems to solve in there to keep you busy for a while yet it's not so tough that you'll never get there.
>Thank you.
You're welcome.
>Dan.
BTW, I'm no Zilog shill. I'm just amazed at this thing's bang/buck ratio. -- ======================================================================== Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make | two, one and one make one." mkesti@gv.net | - The Who, Bargain

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference