Image processing with DSP's

Started by Martin Euredjian March 2, 2004
Interested in opinions and thoughts as to which DSP's might be good/best for
real-time image processing.  We currently use FPGA's.  It would be
interesting to learn what can be done with DSP's.

Are there any that have efficient ways to implement such things as FIR
filters, for example, or matrix transforms, etc.?  How about dealing with
SDRAM/DDR SDRAM frame stores?  Are there any that can drive RLDRAM?  Maybe
there's one that particularly well supported with imaging libraries or other
IP that can be licensed?

I see such devices as BlackFin, etc. that can hit 800+ MHz.  Surely they can
do a nice amount of image processing, but, how are they optimized for such
tasks and are there some that are a better fit than others.

Thanks,

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martin Euredjian

To send private email:
0_0_0_0_@pacbell.net
where
"0_0_0_0_"  =  "martineu"

"Martin Euredjian" <0_0_0_0_@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Interested in opinions and thoughts as to which DSP's might be good/best
for
> real-time image processing. We currently use FPGA's. It would be > interesting to learn what can be done with DSP's. > > Are there any that have efficient ways to implement such things as FIR > filters, for example, or matrix transforms, etc.? How about dealing with > SDRAM/DDR SDRAM frame stores? Are there any that can drive RLDRAM? Maybe > there's one that particularly well supported with imaging libraries or
other
> IP that can be licensed?
Most classic DSPs have optimized instructions for multiply-and-accumulate so things like FIR filters or other convolution-based algorithms will be speedy. I've used TI DSPs for this in the past and looked at some Analog Devices chips. As to DRAM interfaces - when I used them most DSPs didn't have them but there may be some now. I'd start at http://dspvillage.ti.com/docs/dspvillagehome.jhtml. Andrew
> Interested in opinions and thoughts as to which DSP's might be good/best
for
> real-time image processing. We currently use FPGA's. It would be > interesting to learn what can be done with DSP's.
Same situation as yours, here. Doing same search, also.
> I see such devices as BlackFin, etc. that can hit 800+ MHz. Surely they
can
> do a nice amount of image processing, but, how are they optimized for such > tasks and are there some that are a better fit than others.
Have a look also at the Texas TMS320DM642, very interesting for video applications.

Memfault Beyond the Launch