Dissertation

Started by Dan W February 27, 2004
Hi,

I am currently looking for an embedded research based software project.

Can anybody give me any good ideas as to what I would research.  As part of
the research I was to develop some software as well.

I was looking at algorithm work - Object tracking and identification, but
this has been researched soo much I doubt I will be able to come up with
something original.

Any ideas??

Daniel.

go do a project with a DSP and an FPGA...that will get you good job
prospect...

Kelvin

Dan W <danielwatkinslearn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > I am currently looking for an embedded research based software project. > > Can anybody give me any good ideas as to what I would research. As part
of
> the research I was to develop some software as well. > > I was looking at algorithm work - Object tracking and identification, but > this has been researched soo much I doubt I will be able to come up with > something original. > > Any ideas?? > > Daniel. > >
I want to do something software based if possible...

Dan W wrote:
> I want to do something software based if possible...
For embedded work, be prepared to do hardware systems too. Get experience with ICE systems if at all possible. Get yourself a PDA and reprogram it. - RM
Dan W wrote:
> I was looking at algorithm work - Object tracking > and identification
Here's a shot... in-vehicle route & mileage logging (PDA + GPS input). Prompt driver for trip purpose, log route data, download to a PC for analysis or re-formatting. Potentially many ways to use the data. A simple one is mileage reimbursement - the device could payoff in a matter of days by improving the completeness and accuracy of logs (so it could be commercially viable too). At $0.30+ per mile, it adds up fast. I've known local consultants that log $100's per month in mileage. You could enhance by "learning" inputs pre-filling log data based on coordinates.
"Dan W" <danielwatkinslearn@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<403efc33$1@baen1673807.greenlnk.net>...
> Hi, > > I am currently looking for an embedded research based software project. > > Can anybody give me any good ideas as to what I would research. As part of > the research I was to develop some software as well. > > I was looking at algorithm work - Object tracking and identification, but > this has been researched soo much I doubt I will be able to come up with > something original. > > Any ideas?? > > Daniel.
How about efficient data storage of information from object tracking or identification in a system that learns to predict where objects are going. Imagine the little soccer playing robots but on your team they not only track the ball but learn how the other team's robots work to discover weaknesses. Maybe the other team's goaltender always kicks out to the left or can't spin 180 degrees fast enough to block corner to corner. Your little robots with their little microcontrollers and limitted memory could be learning this stuff and applying it. You would have lots of information streaming it, it would need to be processed, stored, likely compressed somehow and then later recalled quickly. Rob Young rwyoung@ieee.nospamplease.org