Bluetooth module?

Started by Robert Scott February 24, 2004
I'm looking for advice on embedded bluetooth.  I know there are
complete RS-232/Bluetooth modules for use on PCs, but space constaints
in my app requires a smaller form factor.  Ideally, I would like to
interface it to a PIC using the async pins directly (not RS-232).  Any
suggestions?

-Robert Scott
 Ypsilanti, Michigan
(Reply through this forum, not by direct e-mail to me, as automatic reply address is fake.)
Look at www.blu2i.com (TDK) and look for the blu2i module. This is a 'smallish' board of 65 x 24 mm. Meindert

This module is tiny - not cheap though. http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/products/radio_gsm_modems/Bluetooth_BRM01.htm -- Max
"Meindert Sprang" <mhsprang@NOcustomSPAMware.nl> wrote :

> Look at www.blu2i.com (TDK) and look for the blu2i module. This is > a 'smallish' board of 65 x 24 mm.
or look around for MSI Bluetooth addon card (MS 6968), it often comes bundled with MSI motherboard. The main board is also 65 x 24 mm (when you cut off useless trackless arrounding board). The main pain is with interconnect - it comes only with USB, CSR chip is BGA and RS232 lines are not on the board afaik (I tried to trace them with no luck, apparently those pins are not soldered and I dont feel like desoldering BGA). It may sound like not what anyone would like, but this baby is bundled with motherboards for FREE, or can be purchased for symbolic 2-5$. Pozdrawiam. -- RusH // http://pulse.pdi.net/~rush/qv30/ Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery. You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.
address is fake.) I haven't used them, but we were looking at the SMT modules from www.blueradios.com. They are very small (12x18 mm with antenna). I didn't get the final pricing, but I believe that they may be a bit expensive. Also, I believe that they provide a lot of the protocol support so you can't get the full speed of the data link. Adam
no-one@dont-mail-me.com (Robert Scott) wrote in message news:<403bbdb0.9419223@news.provide.net>...
> I'm looking for advice on embedded bluetooth. I know there are > complete RS-232/Bluetooth modules for use on PCs, but space constaints > in my app requires a smaller form factor. Ideally, I would like to > interface it to a PIC using the async pins directly (not RS-232). Any > suggestions?
Zeevo (http://www.zeevo.com) makes a "Blue Stamp" module (ZV3001) based on their TC2001 chip. We have been using them for a couple of years. At design time, they were the only company including prequalified SPP (serial port profile) with their chip. Zeevo is phasing out the TC2001 in favor of its ZV4002, which is the same chip but with external flash. They say off-chip flash is cheaper than trying to integrate everything. Supposedly the ZV4002 goes for ten bucks and you have to add flash, antenna, crystal and some passive components. -- Brad

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference