USB kit FX2 from cypress

Started by Unknown February 23, 2004
Hello,

I am currently trying to develop a firmware on FX2 microcontroller
from cypress, which is able to send continously data to a windows pc.
However I have no idea where to start my doings. Should I first begin
to program a windows application (do I need to write a driver?) or
should I start programming the FX2-firmware. What I need is some kind
of sample, that demonstrate the communication from FX2 -
microcontroller to a self-programmed (with source code) windows
application, so I could adapt it.

Is there anyone who knows where to get these information? Currently I
am using a demo windows driver from "jungo", but if I create a driver
and install it, the CYPRESS EZ-USB Control panel does not work any
more on this port (message "no cypress usb device detected...." after
having clicked on "open all). However I need the control panel to
download monitor program, being able to load and execute the firmware
(keil compiler).

You see I have many problems and no idea where to start. Maybe you
could help with some information ressources.

Thanks in advance.

G. Brunner
G�nther Brunner wrote:
> Hello, > > I am currently trying to develop a firmware on FX2 microcontroller > from cypress, which is able to send continously data to a windows pc. > However I have no idea where to start my doings. Should I first begin > to program a windows application (do I need to write a driver?) or > should I start programming the FX2-firmware. What I need is some kind > of sample, that demonstrate the communication from FX2 - > microcontroller to a self-programmed (with source code) windows > application, so I could adapt it. > > Is there anyone who knows where to get these information? Currently I > am using a demo windows driver from "jungo", but if I create a driver > and install it, the CYPRESS EZ-USB Control panel does not work any > more on this port (message "no cypress usb device detected...." after > having clicked on "open all). However I need the control panel to > download monitor program, being able to load and execute the firmware > (keil compiler). > > You see I have many problems and no idea where to start. Maybe you > could help with some information ressources. > > Thanks in advance. > > G. Brunner
You might try here: http://www.lvr.com/usb.htm -- Joe Legris
Hi again,

now I know that this FX2 microcontroller has to levels of usb device.
The first one is running without special firmware. It acts as loader
for the customized FX2 firmware. After that enumeration and
downloading the real firmware the 2nd step (renumeration) is
performed.
However it seems to be very difficult to develop a USB firmware for
FX2 chip and copy the firmware each time to my windows application to
perform renumeration. How can I verify the correct function of my
firmware without having a USB windows application. I mean: is there a
tool like terminal programs (I know that USB development is rather
different than RS232) with which I could simlpy send and receive data
to FX2?

Thanks in advance.

G. Brunner.

>G�nther Brunner wrote: >> Hello, >> >> I am currently trying to develop a firmware on FX2 microcontroller >> from cypress, which is able to send continously data to a windows pc. >> However I have no idea where to start my doings. Should I first begin >> to program a windows application (do I need to write a driver?) or >> should I start programming the FX2-firmware. What I need is some kind >> of sample, that demonstrate the communication from FX2 - >> microcontroller to a self-programmed (with source code) windows >> application, so I could adapt it. >> >> Is there anyone who knows where to get these information? Currently I >> am using a demo windows driver from "jungo", but if I create a driver >> and install it, the CYPRESS EZ-USB Control panel does not work any >> more on this port (message "no cypress usb device detected...." after >> having clicked on "open all). However I need the control panel to >> download monitor program, being able to load and execute the firmware >> (keil compiler). >> >> You see I have many problems and no idea where to start. Maybe you >> could help with some information ressources. >> >> Thanks in advance. >> >> G. Brunner > >You might try here: > >http://www.lvr.com/usb.htm
Hi,

I have a Cypress EX-USB development kit.  In the documents folder in the
installed path there were several examples.
My team and I used the EZ-USB FX to develop and application.  We used
the Slave fifo app note to help us.  The following link is to an app
note that we used as a basis for our product.
We are still using the driver that came with the development kit.  We
did have to write some C code for the 8051 in the EZ-USB.

http://www.cypress.com/support/app_note.cfm?objectID=F8A343B8-24D5-495C-B306AB47B5EF87D9&fname=USB%20Full%2DSpeed%20Peripherals&tid=A47EC41D-A212-4D8B-B3AA620F3AEB2978

Hope this helps.

Phil

G�nther Brunner wrote:

>Hello, > >I am currently trying to develop a firmware on FX2 microcontroller >from cypress, which is able to send continously data to a windows pc. >However I have no idea where to start my doings. Should I first begin >to program a windows application (do I need to write a driver?) or >should I start programming the FX2-firmware. What I need is some kind >of sample, that demonstrate the communication from FX2 - >microcontroller to a self-programmed (with source code) windows >application, so I could adapt it. > >Is there anyone who knows where to get these information? Currently I >am using a demo windows driver from "jungo", but if I create a driver >and install it, the CYPRESS EZ-USB Control panel does not work any >more on this port (message "no cypress usb device detected...." after >having clicked on "open all). However I need the control panel to >download monitor program, being able to load and execute the firmware >(keil compiler). > >You see I have many problems and no idea where to start. Maybe you >could help with some information ressources. > >Thanks in advance. > >G. Brunner > >
Hi

Use the newer driver from Cypress.
I think it can be found in the reference design section.

It is very easy to install and the documentation is fairly good.

Jungo is a very good tool but for the FX2 the reference design is much
better to get started.

Best regards
Priyend

"Phil Southard" <psouthard@sarnoff.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > I have a Cypress EX-USB development kit. In the documents folder in the > installed path there were several examples. > My team and I used the EZ-USB FX to develop and application. We used > the Slave fifo app note to help us. The following link is to an app > note that we used as a basis for our product. > We are still using the driver that came with the development kit. We > did have to write some C code for the 8051 in the EZ-USB. > > >
http://www.cypress.com/support/app_note.cfm?objectID=F8A343B8-24D5-495C-B306AB47B5EF87D9&fname=USB%20Full%2DSpeed%20Peripherals&tid=A47EC41D-A212-4D8B-B3AA620F3AEB2978
> > Hope this helps. > > Phil > > G&#4294967295;nther Brunner wrote: > > >Hello, > > > >I am currently trying to develop a firmware on FX2 microcontroller > >from cypress, which is able to send continously data to a windows pc. > >However I have no idea where to start my doings. Should I first begin > >to program a windows application (do I need to write a driver?) or > >should I start programming the FX2-firmware. What I need is some kind > >of sample, that demonstrate the communication from FX2 - > >microcontroller to a self-programmed (with source code) windows > >application, so I could adapt it. > > > >Is there anyone who knows where to get these information? Currently I > >am using a demo windows driver from "jungo", but if I create a driver > >and install it, the CYPRESS EZ-USB Control panel does not work any > >more on this port (message "no cypress usb device detected...." after > >having clicked on "open all). However I need the control panel to > >download monitor program, being able to load and execute the firmware > >(keil compiler). > > > >You see I have many problems and no idea where to start. Maybe you > >could help with some information ressources. > > > >Thanks in advance. > > > >G. Brunner > > > > >

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference