Availability of CPLDs

Started by Fred February 18, 2004
At present I am concerned over the lead time of CPLDs.  Both Altera and
Xilinx have had, in the past, very embarrassing lead times which would be
unacceptable in a product I am about to design.

Can anyone give an indication of their experiences?

There is a general problem with availability of components at present. I've just read that even passive components like SM capacitors have long lead times. Leon -- Leon Heller, G1HSM Email: aqzf13@dsl.pipex.com My low-cost Philips LPC210x ARM development system: http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller/lpc2104.html
"Leon Heller" <aqzf13@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > > Fred wrote: > > At present I am concerned over the lead time of CPLDs. Both Altera and > > Xilinx have had, in the past, very embarrassing lead times which would
be
> > unacceptable in a product I am about to design. > > > > Can anyone give an indication of their experiences? > > > There is a general problem with availability of components at present. > I've just read that even passive components like SM capacitors have long > lead times. > > Leon > --
We do seem to work in a boom - bust economy. I recall once, a couple of years ago, taking many weeks just to get 2 samples of Xilinx devices. I just wondered if things were still the same.

You may have to stock a few items. Rene -- Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net
"Fred" <fred@abuse.com> wrote in message news:<40338b06$0$18907$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>...
> At present I am concerned over the lead time of CPLDs. Both Altera and > Xilinx have had, in the past, very embarrassing lead times which would be > unacceptable in a product I am about to design. > > Can anyone give an indication of their experiences?
Howdy Fred, I'd be happy to relay our experience, but I'm afraid that you've left more details out of your message than you've included, and without some context, you could get some wildly varying answers. Here is a list of stuff that would be good to know: 1. What do you consider embarrassingly long? 2. How long ago, and what parts were involved with your "embarrasing long lead times"? 3. Were they moderately mature parts, or recently released ones? 4. What kind of volumes were you asking for? 10? 1k? 100k? The short, generic answer to your question is that over the past six to nine months, lead times have grown considerably on all parts, not just programmable logic. "A few weeks" leadtime is giving way to 6 to 8 weeks for many devices, while a few others are considerably longer. And that's for low quantity (a hundred or two)... it'd probably be even worse for higher volumes. Good luck, Marc
In comp.arch.embedded Fred <fred@abuse.com> wrote:

> We do seem to work in a boom - bust economy.
Well, yeah, that's what you get once the entire playing field is directly or indirectly dependent on the attention time span of Joe Average Shareholder watching his daily dose of stock news over supper. First you get to feel the fiscal year as a slow wave rocking everything gently, then it turns into a quarter-by-quarter rollercoaster ride. Next thing you know, you can't use *any* parts reliably lest you have stocked up a year's supply of them right on your own premises.
> just wondered if things were still the same.
Seems more like they're the same *again*. -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
With the rise in defense spending in the US. There is a higher allocation for these jobs.
Its part specific like tantulum caps etc. So you have to do a little research and hope the distributors dont pull parts allocated
for you.

Cheers

Martin Riddle wrote:
> > With the rise in defense spending in the US. There is a higher allocation for these jobs. > Its part specific like tantulum caps etc. So you have to do a little research and hope the distributors dont pull parts allocated > for you.
Who told you it was due to defense spending? My understanding is that it is all consumer spending. The tiny parts and memories that go into cell phones and the like are what is going on allocation. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
mrand@my-deja.com (Marc Randolph) wrote in message news:<15881dde.0402181116.7956d324@posting.google.com>...
> "Fred" <fred@abuse.com> wrote in message news:<40338b06$0$18907$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>...
[snip]
> The short, generic answer to your question is that over the past six > to nine months, lead times have grown considerably on all parts, not > just programmable logic. "A few weeks" leadtime is giving way to 6 to > 8 weeks for many devices, while a few others are considerably longer. > And that's for low quantity (a hundred or two)... it'd probably be > even worse for higher volumes.
But remember if you get your 'hundred or two' from a disty then the disty is probably very low down on the priority list for the supplier. Customers who placed advance orders on a schedule for 100k pieces are going to get chips before the '2 reels every now and then' that the disty is going to buy. This happened back in 2000 with 100nF decoupling capacitors, we could get lorry loads at my work but all but one type were on 6 weeks leadtime in the catalogue if I just wanted a strip of 50... Sprow.
In article <40338b06$0$18907$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>,
Fred <fred@abuse.com> wrote:
>At present I am concerned over the lead time of CPLDs. Both Altera and >Xilinx have had, in the past, very embarrassing lead times which would be >unacceptable in a product I am about to design.
If a part is adopted by many companies, the demand exceeds the supply so you can't get them in a hurry. If the part is not adopted by many companies, the maker will stop making them and you can't get them at all. Right now you can get Cypress CPLDs shipped the next day from Digikey. Last year Cypress denied and then anounced that they are going out of the CPLD business. I suggest you go with Altera and buy a years supply of the part you design in. -- -- kensmith@rahul.net forging knowledge

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference