interfacing PS/2 voltage levels to CMOS

Started by Laszlo Cser February 17, 2004
I would like to interface the inputs of a CMOS microcontroller with a PS/2
signal. What interface circuitry should I put in between the PS/2 signal and
the microcontroller inputs? It should be able to accept the standard PS/2
input voltages. Supply Voltage is 5V dc.

Standard PS/2 input voltages:

High-Level Input Voltage: 5.0V - Pullup            (minimum)
Low-Level Input Voltage: 0.5V                            (maximum)

DC Characteristics of the CMOS microcontroller:

Input Low voltage: -0.5V...(0.3)*Vcc
Input High Voltage: (0.6)*Vcc...Vcc+0.5V

Not quite sure what you mean by "PS/2 levels" but judging from your
incomplete description I would suggest using copper wires as interface
hardware.

Laszlo Cser wrote:

> I would like to interface the inputs of a CMOS microcontroller with a PS/2 > signal. What interface circuitry should I put in between the PS/2 signal > and the microcontroller inputs? It should be able to accept the standard > PS/2 input voltages. Supply Voltage is 5V dc. > > Standard PS/2 input voltages: > > High-Level Input Voltage: 5.0V - Pullup (minimum) > Low-Level Input Voltage: 0.5V (maximum) > > DC Characteristics of the CMOS microcontroller: > > Input Low voltage: -0.5V...(0.3)*Vcc > Input High Voltage: (0.6)*Vcc...Vcc+0.5V > > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The logic levels should be fine with each other. You can use bare wire. I would put some small resistor values in-line with each signal and perhaps 120pF capacitors to ground to eliminate some noise susceptibility. Noel -- Noel's Lab www.noels-lab.com Chips, firmware, circuits and embedded systems
Thank you for all the replies. Unfortunately I posted the wrong PS/2 levels.
Here are the right ones. It seems TTL to me.

High-Level Input Voltage: 2.0V                           (minimum)
Low-Level Input Voltage: 0.5V                            (maximum)

Could you please suggest some circuitry for this TTL to CMOS problem?

Laszlo

"Noel Henson" <noel@noels-lab.com> wrote in message
> Laszlo Cser wrote: > > > I would like to interface the inputs of a CMOS microcontroller with a
PS/2
> > signal. What interface circuitry should I put in between the PS/2 signal > > and the microcontroller inputs? It should be able to accept the standard > > PS/2 input voltages. Supply Voltage is 5V dc. > > > > Standard PS/2 input voltages: > > > > High-Level Input Voltage: 5.0V - Pullup (minimum) > > Low-Level Input Voltage: 0.5V (maximum) > > > > DC Characteristics of the CMOS microcontroller: > > > > Input Low voltage: -0.5V...(0.3)*Vcc > > Input High Voltage: (0.6)*Vcc...Vcc+0.5V > > > > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. > > The logic levels should be fine with each other. You can use bare wire. I > would put some small resistor values in-line with each signal and perhaps > 120pF capacitors to ground to eliminate some noise susceptibility. > > Noel > -- > Noel's Lab > www.noels-lab.com > Chips, firmware, circuits and embedded systems
Laszlo Cser <cserl@freemail.hu> wrote:
> Thank you for all the replies. Unfortunately I posted the wrong PS/2 > levels. Here are the right ones. It seems TTL to me. > > High-Level Input Voltage: 2.0V (minimum) > Low-Level Input Voltage: 0.5V (maximum) > > Could you please suggest some circuitry for this TTL to CMOS problem?
Could you please tell us what the loading on the PS/2 lines are? And then what the high and low level _output_ voltages for your microcontroller are? You may very well find your microcontroller can output these voltage levels directly -- many today have I/O pins that can, e.g., drive LEDs directly and have far more than enough 'oomph' (drive) to interface with TTL. ---Joel Kolstad
It is unlikley that you will have any problem directly connecting the
PS/2 device to your microcontroller.

It is a good idea to add buffers to your signal though, and you could
guarntee TTL compatiblity by adding a TTL compatible buffer in front
of your CMOS device.  I doubt many cheapo mouse and keyboard makers
even go through the trouble of complying with TTL signal levels. Most
uC's and logic devices are CMOS these days, other than special line
drivers and whatnot.  Try the 7407 or 74132 (schmitt input) buffers.
Good Luck.

-J

Laszlo Cser wrote:
> "Noel Henson" <noel@noels-lab.com> wrote in message > > Laszlo Cser wrote: > > > > > I would like to interface the inputs of a CMOS microcontroller > > > with a PS/2 signal. What interface circuitry should I put in > > > between the PS/2 signal and the microcontroller inputs? It > > > should be able to accept the standard PS/2 input voltages. > > > Supply Voltage is 5V dc. > > > > > > Standard PS/2 input voltages: > > > > > > High-Level Input Voltage: 5.0V - Pullup (minimum) > > > Low-Level Input Voltage: 0.5V (maximum) > > > > > > DC Characteristics of the CMOS microcontroller: > > > > > > Input Low voltage: -0.5V...(0.3)*Vcc > > > Input High Voltage: (0.6)*Vcc...Vcc+0.5V > > > > The logic levels should be fine with each other. You can use > > bare wire. I would put some small resistor values in-line with > > each signal and perhaps 120pF capacitors to ground to eliminate > > some noise susceptibility. > > Thank you for all the replies. Unfortunately I posted the wrong > PS/2 levels. Here are the right ones. It seems TTL to me. > > High-Level Input Voltage: 2.0V (minimum) > Low-Level Input Voltage: 0.5V (maximum) > > Could you please suggest some circuitry for this TTL to CMOS > problem?
The interface is still a wire. The thing you may have to worry about is the current drawn at a low level input. Please DO NOT toppost. I have fixed this one. -- Chuck F (cbfalconer@yahoo.com) (cbfalconer@worldnet.att.net) Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems. <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!
Laszlo,

Essentially, you don't have to worry about it. Your microcontroller will be
using CMOS outputs. These will be able to comfortably meet the PS/2 port
specifications. I've done this quite a bit. I've even used 3V micros to
drive the PS/2 port.

I hope you aren't getting confused with CMOS input and output levels in
trying to drive the TTL inputs. Standard CMOS inputs are 33%VDD and 66%VDD
but you won't find this on most micros. You'll usually find input
requirements of 0.8V (max low) and 2.0V (min high). The CMOS outputs
usually drive a 0.6V (max low) and a VDD-0.7V (min high). Theses definitely
exceed the TTL and CMOS input requirements. Relax.

You're only real issues concerning input buffer circuitry will be static
protection and noise elimination. Both of these can usually be resolved
with a single resistor and capacitor for each signal.

Noel

"CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > The interface is still a wire.
...and possibly a network to provide some protection against static discharge.
Hi,

I have to design the interconnection of an assembly interrupt handler the
rest of the C language software.  The handler performs some speed sensitive
portread+process operations. The results (a few 8-bit variables) should be
passed on to the rest of the software. Implementation is done by an Atmel
AVR microcontroller and the WinAVR port of the AVRGCC compiler.

What approach should I take?

The interrupt handler could be written either as a separate .s module or in
inline assembler.  I don't see how the interconnection could be done by the
latter one.)

#1 - interrupt handler is implemented in a separate assembly module. Fixed
SRAM addresses reserved by the linker command file form an interface towards
the rest of the software. (What't the best way to do this?)
#3 - assigning a variable to a specific register (I'm not sure of this one.
Can it be guaranteed, that the variable is placed into the register. Even if
it can, the compiler still may use the register for other purposes?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Laszlo

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference