Forums

Bluetooth modules

Started by Spehro Pefhany January 28, 2004
Have a LOW-volume mobile data acquisition application that requires
Bluetooth. Not sure yet whether it will be Class I or II. Any
suggestions as to good, reliable OEM modules? Unit cost is not a big
factor. What's the situation with FCC/Industry Canada? I presume that
type approval is required?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
"Spehro Pefhany >" <Spehro Pefhany <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote
in message news:j3lf10lfflo0hvaededa30njlfce7b5k44@4ax.com...
> > Have a LOW-volume mobile data acquisition application that requires > Bluetooth. Not sure yet whether it will be Class I or II. Any > suggestions as to good, reliable OEM modules? Unit cost is not a big > factor. What's the situation with FCC/Industry Canada? I presume that > type approval is required?
Hi Spehro, Take a look at these: http://www.blu2i.com , especially the bare module. You can download datasheets from their ftp site: ftp://tdkuser:tdktdk@217.205.152.66/ The modules are certified as an end product and therefore do not need any extra approvals. Just plug them into your application and you're ready. The modules can be programmed by modem style AT commands and can be setup as a 'serial-wire' replacement. You make the right settings with a few AT commands and then two paired modules operate autonomously as a fully transparent serial channel. In Europe, they sell for about 85 euro/unit, which compares to appr. $100. I have used them to put BT functionality into a data multiplexer, so any Bluetooth device (PDA, PC or what have you) using the serial profile could talk to the multiplexer. Meindert
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:05:58 +0100, the renowned "Meindert Sprang"
<mhsprang@NOcustomSPAMware.nl> wrote:

>"Spehro Pefhany >" <Spehro Pefhany <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote >in message news:j3lf10lfflo0hvaededa30njlfce7b5k44@4ax.com... >> >> Have a LOW-volume mobile data acquisition application that requires >> Bluetooth. Not sure yet whether it will be Class I or II. Any >> suggestions as to good, reliable OEM modules? Unit cost is not a big >> factor. What's the situation with FCC/Industry Canada? I presume that >> type approval is required? > >Hi Spehro, > >Take a look at these: http://www.blu2i.com , especially the bare module. >You can download datasheets from their ftp site: >ftp://tdkuser:tdktdk@217.205.152.66/ > >The modules are certified as an end product and therefore do not need any >extra approvals. Just plug them into your application and you're ready. The >modules can be programmed by modem style AT commands and can be setup as a >'serial-wire' replacement. You make the right settings with a few AT >commands and then two paired modules operate autonomously as a fully >transparent serial channel. In Europe, they sell for about 85 euro/unit, >which compares to appr. $100. > >I have used them to put BT functionality into a data multiplexer, so any >Bluetooth device (PDA, PC or what have you) using the serial profile could >talk to the multiplexer.
Yes, that's just the sort of thing I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion, Meindert. They are made by TDK, I presume. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
In article <j3lf10lfflo0hvaededa30njlfce7b5k44@4ax.com>,
You can get SDIO cards that do bluetooth. That's a device in the SD/MMC form factor. I'm not sure what's involved in driving one. -- Ben Jackson <ben@ben.com> http://www.ben.com/
"Spehro Pefhany >" <Spehro Pefhany <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote
in message news:v3cg10hqmvbial3ln0f1anb8dtujfcmdm4@4ax.com...
> Yes, that's just the sort of thing I'm looking for. Thanks for the > suggestion, Meindert. They are made by TDK, I presume.
Yes. And they contain (as many others) a radio chipset from Cambridge Silicon Radio. Also the support for these modules is very good. You can mail directly with one of the software developers of the module and he is very responsive. But he is in the UK so mind the time difference. Meindert
Spehro Pefhany <Spehro Pefhany <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat>> wrote in message news:<j3lf10lfflo0hvaededa30njlfce7b5k44@4ax.com>...
> Have a LOW-volume mobile data acquisition application that requires > Bluetooth. Not sure yet whether it will be Class I or II. Any > suggestions as to good, reliable OEM modules? Unit cost is not a big > factor. What's the situation with FCC/Industry Canada? I presume that > type approval is required?
You may also want to check out Wilcoxon Research (www.wilcoxon.com). They have an industrial Bluetooth module with a 100m range. I have a couple sitting on my desk, but have not had the time to test them, yet. Their engineers were very helpful as well. Bradley
Since nobody else has pointed this out, I will.  RF does not go through
aluminum, so you will need to have an external antenna, or have sufficiently
large enough cutouts in the box that the RF will "leak" out.

Mike Anton

"Spehro Pefhany >" <Spehro Pefhany <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote
in message news:j3lf10lfflo0hvaededa30njlfce7b5k44@4ax.com...
> > Have a LOW-volume mobile data acquisition application that requires > Bluetooth. Not sure yet whether it will be Class I or II. Any > suggestions as to good, reliable OEM modules? Unit cost is not a big > factor. What's the situation with FCC/Industry Canada? I presume that > type approval is required? > > Best regards, > Spehro Pefhany > -- > "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" > speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:
http://www.trexon.com
> Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:
http://www.speff.com
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:44:28 -0700, the renowned "Michael Anton"
<manton@nocompusmart.abspam.ca> wrote:

>Since nobody else has pointed this out, I will. RF does not go through >aluminum, so you will need to have an external antenna, or have sufficiently >large enough cutouts in the box that the RF will "leak" out. > >Mike Anton
Thanks. ;-) It's a plastic (polycarbonate) enclosure, but I could imagine someone making that mistake. Once. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
Some plastics will absorb RF energy and will seriously attenuate your
signal, so you still want to be carefull of what type of material you
use for your box.  I don't know about polycarbonate.  I have heard the
way to find out if a plastic will work well is to put it in a
microwave oven with a glass of water, and see if the plastic gets hot.

Both microwave ovens and Bluetooth are at 2.4GHz so the plastic will
absorb energy from both in the same way.

Ethan