Q: Best Microcontroller for this job

Started by --|-- January 26, 2004
Hello i was looking at using a atmel 8515 or a pic (not sure which variant
yet) for a project.

The microcontroller will be connected to a max186 for analog aquisitions
which will be stored in an eeprom, also looking at a keypad ,lcd,x10  and
serial pc interface to configure the unit and download data from the
eeprom..

one of my concerns on the 8515 is the price @10$ but i can use gcc, i don't
want to get into assembly so i'd be looking at c / basic options for the pic
(lowest cost possible <g>)

Any suggestions?

TI MSP430? Can have the 12-bit ADC on-chip. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
>Hello i was looking at using a atmel 8515 or a pic (not sure which variant >yet) for a project.
Unless you are aiming at high-volume production (in which case you should look wider than just 8515 and PIC): why bother about a few $? My first advice for a PIC/uC newbie is to choose a chip for which you can get help, that is far more valuable than the few $ price difference between het varous uC's. PS don't take me wrong, I am a convinced PIC user. But I am not convinecd other people are wrong when they use AVR, 8051 or whatever. Wouter van Ooijen -- ------------------------------------ http://www.voti.nl PICmicro chips, programmers, consulting
Hi Chris,
I think you can use Z8 encore microcontroller from zilog.
It has 8 channel ADC , uart, 64Kb flash, price from 4$ to 12$,
evaluation kit(C compiler & debug included) 30$.
Check www.zilog.com site for further info.
You can find price info at www.digikey.com and www.mouser.com

Regards.
Viron Papadopoulos.

"--|--" <chrispol@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:<kthRb.92999$yF.1171393@wagner.videotron.net>...
> Hello i was looking at using a atmel 8515 or a pic (not sure which variant > yet) for a project. > > The microcontroller will be connected to a max186 for analog aquisitions > which will be stored in an eeprom, also looking at a keypad ,lcd,x10 and > serial pc interface to configure the unit and download data from the > eeprom.. > > one of my concerns on the 8515 is the price @10$ but i can use gcc, i don't > want to get into assembly so i'd be looking at c / basic options for the pic > (lowest cost possible <g>) > > Any suggestions?
"--|--" <chrispol@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:<kthRb.92999$yF.1171393@wagner.videotron.net>...
> Hello i was looking at using a atmel 8515 or a pic (not sure which variant > yet) for a project. > > The microcontroller will be connected to a max186 for analog aquisitions > which will be stored in an eeprom, also looking at a keypad ,lcd,x10 and > serial pc interface to configure the unit and download data from the > eeprom..
The PICDEM Plus (or is that the PICDEM-2 Plus?) development kit has the following: * serial eeprom * LCD * MAX232 serial interface Then connect the Max186 to the SPI of the PIC. Then again, pretty much any microcontroller family you mentioned can do what you want. I don't know how much more powerful is the MAX186, but haven't you considered using internal eeproms and a/d channels that these microcontrollers have?
> > one of my concerns on the 8515 is the price @10$ but i can use gcc, i don't > want to get into assembly so i'd be looking at c / basic options for the pic > (lowest cost possible <g>) > > Any suggestions?
"--|--" <chrispol@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> Hello i was looking at using a atmel 8515 or a pic (not sure which variant > yet) for a project. > > The microcontroller will be connected to a max186 for analog aquisitions > which will be stored in an eeprom, also looking at a keypad ,lcd,x10 and > serial pc interface to configure the unit and download data from the > eeprom.. > > one of my concerns on the 8515 is the price @10$ but i can use gcc, i
don't
> want to get into assembly so i'd be looking at c / basic options for the
pic
> (lowest cost possible <g>) > > Any suggestions? >
Looks like single unit pricing. Try to get a free sample ? You should also look at the ATmega8515.... -- Best Regards Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference