Codewright Failure

Started by rickman February 16, 2017
Newsgroups are my last ditch resource for bugs with old software.  I
know Codewright is old and no longer supported.  But I have it and I'm
not ready to switch.  Meanwhile, something happend while I was running
in safe mode and now Codewright is messed up when running in standard
windows mode.

I can open files, but I can't select anything in them or do any edits.
I can't even position the cursor with the mouse.  All the great chroma
formatting is gone.

Any ideas?  Is it finally time to bail on Codewright and switch to
Emacs?  I tried that once and the initial Emacs screen scared me!  It
was totally non-intuitive.

--

Rick C
On 2/16/2017 2:17 PM, rickman wrote:
> Newsgroups are my last ditch resource for bugs with old software. I > know Codewright is old and no longer supported. But I have it and I'm > not ready to switch. Meanwhile, something happend while I was running > in safe mode and now Codewright is messed up when running in standard > windows mode. > > I can open files, but I can't select anything in them or do any edits. I > can't even position the cursor with the mouse. All the great chroma > formatting is gone. > > Any ideas? Is it finally time to bail on Codewright and switch to > Emacs? I tried that once and the initial Emacs screen scared me! It > was totally non-intuitive.
I'm a CW user too. My version is 4.0e from 1996 (Win95 days). Over the past year, I've seen my version having problems starting in 64-bit windows. Occasionally it will self corrupt some of its binaries. I keep a zip file of my entire CW32 tree, basically a known good restore archive. When I suspect a corruption problem, I save the cwright.ini file somewhere else. Then I delete the CW32 directory tree (safer to rename and delete later). Then I unzip my restore archive and copy in the saved cwright.ini file only after I've verified that it's not corrupted too (which hasn't happened yet). Then things always work. Of course, you might be experiencing a different set of problems. I hope I was able to help. Now I digress: My CW seems to have some problem starting with 64 bit windows. It will just freeze on the splash screen. I'd love to know why that happens. Experimenting with various compatibility modes doesn't solve the problem. CW hates long directory paths and very long file names. I am certain that long names cause internal memory corruption. When it happens, CW reports an out-of-memory error and then disappears. Sometimes after the same stressing, the edit windows show garbage and I need to restart it. I find I need to treat her gently occasionally. I have a bunch of custom DLLs that I use that makes it hard to switch editors. I haven't found an editor yet that gives me the same productivity I get with CW. A 20 year relationship with an editor is hard to walk away from. I acknowledge that there are many great editors with many advanced features. But my productivity in keyboard-to-code is always way better with CW. JJS
On 2/16/2017 9:18 PM, John Speth wrote:
> On 2/16/2017 2:17 PM, rickman wrote: >> Newsgroups are my last ditch resource for bugs with old software. I >> know Codewright is old and no longer supported. But I have it and I'm >> not ready to switch. Meanwhile, something happend while I was running >> in safe mode and now Codewright is messed up when running in standard >> windows mode. >> >> I can open files, but I can't select anything in them or do any edits. I >> can't even position the cursor with the mouse. All the great chroma >> formatting is gone. >> >> Any ideas? Is it finally time to bail on Codewright and switch to >> Emacs? I tried that once and the initial Emacs screen scared me! It >> was totally non-intuitive. > > I'm a CW user too. My version is 4.0e from 1996 (Win95 days). Over the > past year, I've seen my version having problems starting in 64-bit > windows. Occasionally it will self corrupt some of its binaries. I > keep a zip file of my entire CW32 tree, basically a known good restore > archive. When I suspect a corruption problem, I save the cwright.ini > file somewhere else. Then I delete the CW32 directory tree (safer to > rename and delete later). Then I unzip my restore archive and copy in > the saved cwright.ini file only after I've verified that it's not > corrupted too (which hasn't happened yet). Then things always work. > > Of course, you might be experiencing a different set of problems. I > hope I was able to help. > > Now I digress: > > My CW seems to have some problem starting with 64 bit windows. It will > just freeze on the splash screen. I'd love to know why that happens. > Experimenting with various compatibility modes doesn't solve the problem. > > CW hates long directory paths and very long file names. I am certain > that long names cause internal memory corruption. When it happens, CW > reports an out-of-memory error and then disappears. Sometimes after the > same stressing, the edit windows show garbage and I need to restart it. > I find I need to treat her gently occasionally. > > I have a bunch of custom DLLs that I use that makes it hard to switch > editors. I haven't found an editor yet that gives me the same > productivity I get with CW. A 20 year relationship with an editor is > hard to walk away from. > > I acknowledge that there are many great editors with many advanced > features. But my productivity in keyboard-to-code is always way better > with CW.
I've got the latest, 7.5. You used to be able to find it on the web because it was orphaned. But it seems someone bought the rights and is selling it for $300+. Not sure who would be buying it, but it was popular with mainframe support people (meaning it was sold with their other tools so they just bought it too) and maybe there are still those who just buy the package in order to support some ancient systems (meaning 20 years old). If you'd like to update to 7.5, contact me offline. redsp@yahoo.com. I'm in the middle of a web site port... a terrible time for my editor to be down. I may need to dig out my backups. -- Rick C
> If you'd like to update to 7.5, contact me offline. redsp@yahoo.com. > I'm in the middle of a web site port... a terrible time for my editor to > be down. I may need to dig out my backups.
I tried 7.5 when it came out. Premia changed the API that custom DLLs would use in that version. It made upgrading impossible for me. I'm glad to finally find out that somebody else is using ancient CW. I thought I was the only person in the world. JJS

-- Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 5:17:49 PM UTC-5, rickman wrote:
> Newsgroups are my last ditch resource for bugs with old software. I > know Codewright is old and no longer supported. But I have it and I'm > not ready to switch. Meanwhile, something happend while I was running > in safe mode and now Codewright is messed up when running in standard > windows mode. > > I can open files, but I can't select anything in them or do any edits. > I can't even position the cursor with the mouse. All the great chroma > formatting is gone. > > Any ideas? Is it finally time to bail on Codewright and switch to > Emacs? I tried that once and the initial Emacs screen scared me! It > was totally non-intuitive. > > -- > > Rick C
I still have my CW CD. Memories... I switched to Eclipse CDT a few years back. Works the same on Linux/Windows/Mac. Good enough. Slick Edit is more like CW if you want to pay for it.
On 2/16/2017 9:36 PM, rickman wrote:
> On 2/16/2017 9:18 PM, John Speth wrote: >> On 2/16/2017 2:17 PM, rickman wrote: >>> Newsgroups are my last ditch resource for bugs with old software. I >>> know Codewright is old and no longer supported. But I have it and I'm >>> not ready to switch. Meanwhile, something happend while I was running >>> in safe mode and now Codewright is messed up when running in standard >>> windows mode. >>> >>> I can open files, but I can't select anything in them or do any edits. I >>> can't even position the cursor with the mouse. All the great chroma >>> formatting is gone. >>> >>> Any ideas? Is it finally time to bail on Codewright and switch to >>> Emacs? I tried that once and the initial Emacs screen scared me! It >>> was totally non-intuitive. >> >> I'm a CW user too. My version is 4.0e from 1996 (Win95 days). Over the >> past year, I've seen my version having problems starting in 64-bit >> windows. Occasionally it will self corrupt some of its binaries. I >> keep a zip file of my entire CW32 tree, basically a known good restore >> archive. When I suspect a corruption problem, I save the cwright.ini >> file somewhere else. Then I delete the CW32 directory tree (safer to >> rename and delete later). Then I unzip my restore archive and copy in >> the saved cwright.ini file only after I've verified that it's not >> corrupted too (which hasn't happened yet). Then things always work. >> >> Of course, you might be experiencing a different set of problems. I >> hope I was able to help. >> >> Now I digress: >> >> My CW seems to have some problem starting with 64 bit windows. It will >> just freeze on the splash screen. I'd love to know why that happens. >> Experimenting with various compatibility modes doesn't solve the problem. >> >> CW hates long directory paths and very long file names. I am certain >> that long names cause internal memory corruption. When it happens, CW >> reports an out-of-memory error and then disappears. Sometimes after the >> same stressing, the edit windows show garbage and I need to restart it. >> I find I need to treat her gently occasionally. >> >> I have a bunch of custom DLLs that I use that makes it hard to switch >> editors. I haven't found an editor yet that gives me the same >> productivity I get with CW. A 20 year relationship with an editor is >> hard to walk away from. >> >> I acknowledge that there are many great editors with many advanced >> features. But my productivity in keyboard-to-code is always way better >> with CW. > > I've got the latest, 7.5. You used to be able to find it on the web > because it was orphaned. But it seems someone bought the rights and is > selling it for $300+. Not sure who would be buying it, but it was > popular with mainframe support people (meaning it was sold with their > other tools so they just bought it too) and maybe there are still those > who just buy the package in order to support some ancient systems > (meaning 20 years old). > > If you'd like to update to 7.5, contact me offline. redsp@yahoo.com. > I'm in the middle of a web site port... a terrible time for my editor to > be down. I may need to dig out my backups.
Things aren't looking so good for Codewright. I figured my issue was file corruption, so I finally dug up my old laptop disk. I copied the CW directory over to the new laptop and it runs the same. So I guess the problem is in the registry maybe? Anyone know how to figure that out? -- Rick C
> Things aren't looking so good for Codewright. I figured my issue was > file corruption, so I finally dug up my old laptop disk. I copied the > CW directory over to the new laptop and it runs the same. So I guess > the problem is in the registry maybe? Anyone know how to figure that out?
I wonder if the registry is even used with CW 7.5. I know for certain that my older 4.0e version does not touch the registry. JJS
On 3/24/2017 3:54 PM, John Speth wrote:
>> Things aren't looking so good for Codewright. I figured my issue was >> file corruption, so I finally dug up my old laptop disk. I copied the >> CW directory over to the new laptop and it runs the same. So I guess >> the problem is in the registry maybe? Anyone know how to figure that >> out? > > I wonder if the registry is even used with CW 7.5. I know for certain > that my older 4.0e version does not touch the registry.
Then what else could it be? I found a number of web pages telling you how to uninstall CW including deleting registry entries. But then when I bring up Programs and Features I don't see it at all. Maybe my problem is it has been removed from the registry? I don't think it is an .ini file problem as it still opens all the files it had open before the problem started. I would like to work with Emacs, but it seems so hard to learn. I'll give it another go today. -- Rick C

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference