Forums

Automatically reset after freeze

Started by Gary January 8, 2004
I need to automatically detect when the computer running Windows freezes and
reset it.  I've found one product called watchdog, a pci card that does just
that.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this product or can recommend
another.

Thanks,

Gary

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:16:20 GMT, "Gary" <sailzigzag@verizon.net>
wrote in comp.arch.embedded:

> I need to automatically detect when the computer running Windows freezes and > reset it. I've found one product called watchdog, a pci card that does just > that. > > Just wondering if anyone has experience with this product or can recommend > another. > > Thanks, > > Gary
Consider that there might be more than one PCI card that has watchdog functionality, and you didn't mention the manufacturer of the one you mention, it would be difficult to say if it is good or bad, or if some other manufacturer makes a better one. -- Jack Klein Home: http://JK-Technology.Com FAQs for comp.lang.c http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html comp.lang.c++ http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/ alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~ajo/docs/FAQ-acllc.html
Sorry.  Here is a link to the only one I've found so far.

http://www.decision-computer.com/sonst/watchdog1(e).htm

Thanks,

Gary

"Gary" <sailzigzag@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I need to automatically detect when the computer running Windows freezes
and
> reset it. I've found one product called watchdog, a pci card that does
just
> that. > > Just wondering if anyone has experience with this product or can recommend > another.
Gary, once you realize that "watchdog" is the generic name for the functionality you desire, and google on "Windows watchdog", a world of interesting possibilities will open up to you. Cheers, Alf --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.558 / Virus Database: 350 - Release Date: 2/01/2004
Alf,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  It's so simple if you know
what to search for.

Gary

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:16:20 +0000, Gary wrote:

> I need to automatically detect when the computer running Windows freezes and > reset it. I've found one product called watchdog, a pci card that does just > that. > > Just wondering if anyone has experience with this product or can recommend > another.
Not with that one but an alternative is to move to Red Hat, Suse or FreeBSD. I have one box with over 230 days of uptime, rarely crash a system and have never lost a byte of data. Yeah, I know, people want to run Windows but putting bandaids on crippleware is just aethestically displeasing. -- Regards, Albert ---------------------------------------------------------------------- AM Research, Inc. The Embedded Systems Experts http://www.amresearch.com 916.780.7623 ----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Albert Lee Mitchell" <albmit@albert.amresearch.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:16:20 +0000, Gary wrote: > > Not with that one but an alternative is to move to Red Hat, Suse or > FreeBSD. I have one box with over 230 days of uptime, rarely crash a > system and have never lost a byte of data. > > Yeah, I know, people want to run Windows but putting bandaids on > crippleware is just aethestically displeasing. > > -- Regards, Albert
I've seen an NT box running for a year and a half and was rebooted just because. It's easy to be stable when the variance in what is executed is minimal. I can crash a Linux box in less than 3 hours even today, playing games. Windows XP runs much more stably than this doing the same thing. Also, I once saw a CPU lock up completely. This had nothing to do with the OS and any OS is vulnerable to this condition which is why there are watchdog boards for PCs.