Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4

Started by G_swidwin December 29, 2003
Hi all,
I have a problem finding any information on how to set HI-TECH PICC8.02
compiler and MPLab 6.4 (under WinXP).
Especially I need directions how to set project under MPLAB using a
Project\Build Options.

When I try to compile project which has only one file  xxx.c I don't have
any problem.
But when my project includes more source files (xxxx.c, yyyy.c ) and yyy.h
I get an error:
Error[000]: undefined symbol
Error[000]: _main (c:\HT-PIC\Lib\picrt42c.obj
Build Failed ....

I am assuming that this type of error usually results from a project setting
in MPLAB.
It means that MPLAB is ready to link my project but it can't
locate the object files that were just compiled. It will then proceed
to link without any files and will result in the above error.

When I am creating my project I include my source files and header files
(I am adding them to the project).
Do I also need an extra set Library and Include Paths in MPLAB Project\Build
Options. ?

Can somebody give me a link or a good description how to set
HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4 ?

Gerry
Thanks in advance,

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:52:40 -0500, "G_swidwin" <swidwin@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

===SNIP===
>Can somebody give me a link or a good description how to set >HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4 ?
http://www.htsoft.com/software/updates/mplab/mplab6/update.htm -- Dan Henry

MPLAB update for PICC v8.02  did not solve my problem.

Gerry

"Dan Henry" <dhenry@sprynet.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:52:40 -0500, "G_swidwin" <swidwin@sympatico.ca> > wrote: > > ===SNIP=== > >Can somebody give me a link or a good description how to set > >HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4 ? > > http://www.htsoft.com/software/updates/mplab/mplab6/update.htm > > -- > Dan Henry
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:46:27 -0500, the renowned "G_swidwin"
<swidwin@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> > >MPLAB update for PICC v8.02 did not solve my problem. >Gerry
IIRC, there's some kind of an issuse with the length of file paths on that compiler (which is still DOS-y at the core). You might try moving your files to a directory closer to the root, especially if you're using Win2K etc. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
Spehro Pefhany <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in

>>MPLAB update for PICC v8.02 did not solve my problem. >>Gerry > > IIRC, there's some kind of an issuse with the length of file paths on > that compiler (which is still DOS-y at the core). You might try moving > your files to a directory closer to the root, especially if you're > using Win2K etc.
Yes, this may be it. I found that using short path and filenames *without* spaces allowed me to use MPLAB and PICC. E.g. c:\proj\foo\foo.c instead of c:\program files\long pathname with spaces\fooBarBazBuzz.c -- - Mark -> --
On 30 Dec 2003 15:32:10 GMT, the renowned "Mark A. Odell"
<nospam@embeddedfw.com> wrote:

>c:\proj\foo\foo.c > >instead of > >c:\program files\long pathname with spaces\fooBarBazBuzz.c
You can fool it into working with the latter by running something like this at startup: subst M: "c:\program files\long pathname with spaces\fooBarBazBuzz.c" Then you can use M:\fooBarBazBuzz.c Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com

> On 30 Dec 2003 15:32:10 GMT, the renowned "Mark A. Odell" > <nospam@embeddedfw.com> wrote: > >>c:\proj\foo\foo.c >> >>instead of >> >>c:\program files\long pathname with spaces\fooBarBazBuzz.c > > You can fool it into working with the latter by running something like > this at startup: > > subst M: "c:\program files\long pathname with spaces\fooBarBazBuzz.c" > > Then you can use M:\fooBarBazBuzz.c
Excellent tip. In fact I do something similar so that I always develop from the P: drive (P for Projects) no matter where I am. E.g. at home I have c:\projects mapped as p: and when I go to clients' networks I just need to map my source tree appropriately to ensure that p: starts at my project root dir. -- - Mark -> --
On 30 Dec 2003 16:37:37 GMT, the renowned "Mark A. Odell"
<nospam@embeddedfw.com> wrote:

>Spehro Pefhany <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in >news:s4a3vvogpqb64ju13lrieqtijk9no4h0ok@4ax.com: > >> On 30 Dec 2003 15:32:10 GMT, the renowned "Mark A. Odell" >> <nospam@embeddedfw.com> wrote: >> >>>c:\proj\foo\foo.c >>> >>>instead of >>> >>>c:\program files\long pathname with spaces\fooBarBazBuzz.c >> >> You can fool it into working with the latter by running something like >> this at startup: >> >> subst M: "c:\program files\long pathname with spaces\fooBarBazBuzz.c" >> >> Then you can use M:\fooBarBazBuzz.c > >Excellent tip. In fact I do something similar so that I always develop >from the P: drive (P for Projects) no matter where I am. E.g. at home I >have c:\projects mapped as p: and when I go to clients' networks I just >need to map my source tree appropriately to ensure that p: starts at my >project root dir.
Thanks. BTW, I should not have pasted his file name into the subst line though. ;-) Sheesh! More cappuccino, please. subst M: "c:\program files\long pathname with spaces" Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
> "Mark A. Odell" <nospam@embeddedfw.com> wrote: > >Spehro Pefhany <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in > > > >> You can fool it into working with the latter by running something > >> like this at startup: > >> > >> subst M: "c:\program files\long pathname with spaces\fooBarBazBuzz.c" > >> > >> Then you can use M:\fooBarBazBuzz.c > > > > Excellent tip. In fact I do something similar so that I always > > develop from the P: drive (P for Projects) no matter where I am. > > E.g. at home I have c:\projects mapped as p: and when I go to > > clients' networks I just need to map my source tree appropriately > > to ensure that p: starts at my project root dir. > > Thanks. BTW, I should not have pasted his file name into the subst > line though. ;-) Sheesh! More cappuccino, please. > > subst M: "c:\program files\long pathname with spaces"
Another caution: If you set that up in autoexec.bat you will have to use the short filenames in the subst command, because long filename support does not exist when autoexec is executed. At least for W9x. -- Chuck F (cbfalconer@yahoo.com) (cbfalconer@worldnet.att.net) Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems. <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:31:07 GMT, the renowned CBFalconer
<cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Another caution: If you set that up in autoexec.bat you will have >to use the short filenames in the subst command, because long >filename support does not exist when autoexec is executed. At >least for W9x.
It's not necessary under Win2K. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference