AT89C51SND2C / AT83SND2C

Started by Pete December 31, 2004
Has anyone here got any experience with these chips? I'm looking into trying
to make a Compact Flash mp3 player using:-

1. AT89C51SND2C / AT83SND2C - Microcontroller with MP3 decoder, DAC and
amplifier, as well as compact flash interface and USB facility to update
firmware - http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_card.asp?part_id=3527
2. Nokia 3310 Display (Philips PCD8544) - 84x48 B/W screen -
http://www.myplace.nu/mp3/nokialcd.htm
3. 5way Joystick -
http://www.jelu.se/shop/product_info.php?currency=EUR&products_id=93
4. LTC3429 - Boost Convertor -
http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.do?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,P2346&action=viewall

However, I'm finding several problems. Firstly those microcontrollers seem
completely unavailable from any shops because they're completely new, also
they don't have a development kit yet. Another problem will be their
package, BGA100 and I can't seem to find any applicable adapters for this.

Any thoughts, comments, answers? Thanks in advance

Pete

"Pete" <competer_uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Has anyone here got any experience with these chips? I'm looking into
trying
> to make a Compact Flash mp3 player using:- > > 1. AT89C51SND2C / AT83SND2C - Microcontroller with MP3 decoder, DAC and > amplifier, as well as compact flash interface and USB facility to update > firmware - http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_card.asp?part_id=3527 > 2. Nokia 3310 Display (Philips PCD8544) - 84x48 B/W screen - > http://www.myplace.nu/mp3/nokialcd.htm > 3. 5way Joystick - > http://www.jelu.se/shop/product_info.php?currency=EUR&products_id=93 > 4. LTC3429 - Boost Convertor - >
http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.do?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,P2346&acti on=viewall
> > However, I'm finding several problems. Firstly those microcontrollers seem > completely unavailable from any shops because they're completely new, also > they don't have a development kit yet. Another problem will be their > package, BGA100 and I can't seem to find any applicable adapters for this. > > Any thoughts, comments, answers? Thanks in advance >
Are you sure you want to make this? For not too much money you can buy a complete mp3 player that's likely much smaller that what you can achieve, at least not for the same money. It will save you a lot of hassle I think. You can't really mount BGA's yourself, and you need a fine line multilayer PCB (e.g. expensive) to even get it routed in a reasonable space. Getting hold of these chips will be difficult, especially as a private person. And they will be expensive. Have you looked into the SND1? This one comes in a TQFP144 package I believe, which is far easier to work with. I have a little player with this chip and a development kit; though I don't have any experience with it, it's collecting dust in a box. The golden days of DIY MP3 players are gone I guess. Jeroen

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference