Forums

E-COS development

Started by Alfredo Astori December 16, 2003
Hello,

I'm looking for a good OS to use with a new project that, probably, will be
builded around an ATMEL AT91 processor; the project is intended to develop
an acquisition system device with an Internet connectivity.

I haven't any experience with Linux & Co., so can this OS be very hard to
understand respect other choices?

Someone has some feelings about the development with this OS? There are
others good alternatives to it?

Thank you,

Alfredo

Alfredo Astori <alfredo@lsi-lastem.it> wrote:
: Hello,
:
: I'm looking for a good OS to use with a new project that, probably, will be
: builded around an ATMEL AT91 processor; the project is intended to develop
: an acquisition system device with an Internet connectivity.
:

<snip>

Linux != eCos. They are very very different.

eCos is associated with linux, usually, because it is currently owned by
Redhat.

So, are you wanting embedded linux advice or eCos advice?

--buddy

--
Remove '.spaminator' and '.invalid' from email address
when replying.

	I'd be very interested in what you hear as well. I've been working with
two different AT91 based systems, one is an ARM 7 EB55 board, the other
is an ARM 9 based board.
	At this point I've learned much more than I thought I would have to
about the internals of ARM chips.
	Before you try to pick an OS, find out what BSP's are available for the
platform  you want to develop on. Then match that to the available OS's
vs your pocket book.
	....JW

Alfredo Astori wrote:
> Hello, > > I'm looking for a good OS to use with a new project that, probably, will be > builded around an ATMEL AT91 processor; the project is intended to develop > an acquisition system device with an Internet connectivity. > > I haven't any experience with Linux & Co., so can this OS be very hard to > understand respect other choices? > > Someone has some feelings about the development with this OS? There are > others good alternatives to it? > > Thank you, > > Alfredo > >
We sell both Sciopta RTOS (very fast and small due to Assembler based
kernel) as well as SMX (traditional C Kernel) - both offer support for ARM
and a wide variety of processors.  BSP's are included at no cost.

Contact me at: Eric@emRep.com and I can share more details with you.
Eric

"Alfredo Astori" <alfredo@lsi-lastem.it> wrote in message
> Hello, > > I'm looking for a good OS to use with a new project that, probably, will
be
> builded around an ATMEL AT91 processor; the project is intended to develop > an acquisition system device with an Internet connectivity. > > I haven't any experience with Linux & Co., so can this OS be very hard to > understand respect other choices? > > Someone has some feelings about the development with this OS? There are > others good alternatives to it? > > Thank you, > > Alfredo > >
> I'm looking for a good OS to use with a new project that, probably, will be > builded around an ATMEL AT91 processor; the project is intended to develop > an acquisition system device with an Internet connectivity. > I haven't any experience with Linux & Co., so can this OS be very hard to > understand respect other choices?
Linux is too heavyweight for an AT91-based system (yes, I'm sure someone will argue with me). Anyway the AT91s [that I know] do not have MMUs, so you would be using ucLinux, not "real" Linux. eCos is a completely unrelated operating system. I would describe it as very well suited to your type of application - it is lightweight and highly configurable, and has a very functional TCP/IP stack. And it is free.
"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> wrote in message
> > I'm looking for a good OS to use with a new project that, probably, will
be
> > builded around an ATMEL AT91 processor; the project is intended to
develop
> > an acquisition system device with an Internet connectivity. > > I haven't any experience with Linux & Co., so can this OS be very hard
> > understand respect other choices? > > Linux is too heavyweight for an AT91-based system (yes, I'm sure > someone will argue with me). Anyway the AT91s [that I know] do not > have MMUs, so you would be using ucLinux, not "real" Linux.
Im pretty sure that 2.6 kernel supports MMU-less processors...
On 16 Dec 2003 14:12:57 -0800, larwe@larwe.com (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards)
wrote in comp.arch.embedded:

> > I'm looking for a good OS to use with a new project that, probably, will be > > builded around an ATMEL AT91 processor; the project is intended to develop > > an acquisition system device with an Internet connectivity. > > I haven't any experience with Linux & Co., so can this OS be very hard to > > understand respect other choices? > > Linux is too heavyweight for an AT91-based system (yes, I'm sure > someone will argue with me). Anyway the AT91s [that I know] do not > have MMUs, so you would be using ucLinux, not "real" Linux.
There is the AT91RM9200, ARM 920T, 180 MHz with MMU and "real" Linux downloadable from Atmel's web site. And the part is real, we're working with prototype boards right now, although we're not using Linux.
-- Jack Klein Home: http://JK-Technology.Com FAQs for comp.lang.c http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html comp.lang.c++ http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/ alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ ftp://snurse-l.org/pub/acllc-c++/faq
> > I'm looking for a good OS to use with a new project that, probably, will
be
> > builded around an ATMEL AT91 processor; the project is intended to
develop
> > an acquisition system device with an Internet connectivity. > > I haven't any experience with Linux & Co., so can this OS be very hard
> > understand respect other choices? > > Linux is too heavyweight for an AT91-based system (yes, I'm sure > someone will argue with me). Anyway the AT91s [that I know] do not > have MMUs, so you would be using ucLinux, not "real" Linux. >
So it is time to learn about the AT91RM9200 Lewin ;-) (Has a USB host controller as well !)
> eCos is a completely unrelated operating system. I would describe it > as very well suited to your type of application - it is lightweight > and highly configurable, and has a very functional TCP/IP stack. And > it is free.
-- Best Regards Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.
> > Linux is too heavyweight for an AT91-based system (yes, I'm sure > > someone will argue with me). Anyway the AT91s [that I know] do not > > have MMUs, so you would be using ucLinux, not "real" Linux. > > There is the AT91RM9200, ARM 920T, 180 MHz with MMU and "real" Linux > downloadable from Atmel's web site. And the part is real, we're
Fair enough. When people talk about Atmel's AT91 series, they usually seem to be talking about the ARM7 beasts, though, which is why I made the assumption.
"AVRFreak" <avrfreak@avr.co.nz> wrote in message
> > "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> wrote in message > news:608b6569.0312161412.793788b8@posting.google.com... > > > I'm looking for a good OS to use with a new project that, probably,
will
> be > > > builded around an ATMEL AT91 processor; the project is intended to > develop > > > an acquisition system device with an Internet connectivity. > > > I haven't any experience with Linux & Co., so can this OS be very hard > to > > > understand respect other choices? > > > > Linux is too heavyweight for an AT91-based system (yes, I'm sure > > someone will argue with me). Anyway the AT91s [that I know] do not > > have MMUs, so you would be using ucLinux, not "real" Linux. > > Im pretty sure that 2.6 kernel supports MMU-less processors... >
Yes - basically, the key kernel patches of ucLinux have been merged into the main tree in 2.6.