Forums

E-COS development

Started by Alfredo Astori December 16, 2003
"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:608b6569.0312161412.793788b8@posting.google.com...
> > I'm looking for a good OS to use with a new project that, probably, will
be
> > builded around an ATMEL AT91 processor; the project is intended to
develop
> > an acquisition system device with an Internet connectivity. > > I haven't any experience with Linux & Co., so can this OS be very hard
> > understand respect other choices? > > Linux is too heavyweight for an AT91-based system (yes, I'm sure > someone will argue with me). Anyway the AT91s [that I know] do not > have MMUs, so you would be using ucLinux, not "real" Linux. > > eCos is a completely unrelated operating system. I would describe it > as very well suited to your type of application - it is lightweight > and highly configurable, and has a very functional TCP/IP stack. And > it is free.
Thank you for the indications about e-cos. Do you know about some hi-level development environments that are compatible with e-cos (compiler, debugger, etc.)? Alfredo
"Alfredo Astori" <alfredo@lsi-lastem.it> wrote in message
> > "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> ha scritto nel messaggio > news:608b6569.0312161412.793788b8@posting.google.com... > > > I'm looking for a good OS to use with a new project that, probably,
will
> be > > > builded around an ATMEL AT91 processor; the project is intended to > develop > > > an acquisition system device with an Internet connectivity. > > > I haven't any experience with Linux & Co., so can this OS be very hard > to > > > understand respect other choices? > > > > Linux is too heavyweight for an AT91-based system (yes, I'm sure > > someone will argue with me). Anyway the AT91s [that I know] do not > > have MMUs, so you would be using ucLinux, not "real" Linux. > > > > eCos is a completely unrelated operating system. I would describe it > > as very well suited to your type of application - it is lightweight > > and highly configurable, and has a very functional TCP/IP stack. And > > it is free. > > Thank you for the indications about e-cos. Do you know about some hi-level > development environments that are compatible with e-cos (compiler,
debugger,
> etc.)? > > Alfredo >
The standard tools are the gnu development tools. That means gcc as your compiler (for c, c++, ada, or whatever), and gdb as the debugger (using Insight, gvd, ddd or whatever for a front-end gui). I guess it's possible to use other tools, but I don't know.
On 2003-12-18, David Brown <david@no.westcontrol.spam.com> wrote:

>> Thank you for the indications about e-cos. Do you know about >> some hi-level development environments that are compatible >> with e-cos (compiler, debugger, etc.)? > > The standard tools are the gnu development tools. That means > gcc as your compiler (for c, c++, ada, or whatever), and gdb > as the debugger (using Insight, gvd, ddd or whatever for a > front-end gui). I guess it's possible to use other tools, but > I don't know.
There are rumors of one guy who got eCos built for some oddball platform using something other than gcc, but for all of the common architectures, gnu is the only practical choice. If you want a pointy-clicky IDE, there are quite a few to choose from (KDevelop, CodeWarrior, etc.) -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! PUNK ROCK!! DISCO at DUCK!! BIRTH CONTROL!! visi.com
> > Thank you for the indications about e-cos. Do you know about some hi-level > > development environments that are compatible with e-cos (compiler, > > Insight, gvd, ddd or whatever for a front-end gui). I guess it's possible > to use other tools, but I don't know.
Over time, people have asked in the eCos mailing lists how to get eCos built using other compilers. ISTR at least one person got it built or at least linked together with code generated by ADS (this would have been a couple of years ago; things have almost certainly changed since then). Trying to use anything other than the GNU toolchain is, however, an exercise in applied masochism.
"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > Thank you for the indications about e-cos. Do you know about some
hi-level
> > > development environments that are compatible with e-cos (compiler, > > > > Insight, gvd, ddd or whatever for a front-end gui). I guess it's
possible
> > to use other tools, but I don't know. > > Over time, people have asked in the eCos mailing lists how to get eCos > built using other compilers. ISTR at least one person got it built or > at least linked together with code generated by ADS (this would have > been a couple of years ago; things have almost certainly changed since > then). Trying to use anything other than the GNU toolchain is, > however, an exercise in applied masochism.
eCos uses some GNU specific extensions, that will not be easy to port. Furthermore linker script and the like (which are generated by their config tool ) would need to be modified. Unless you have a lot of spare time I would forget about porting to another toolchain. Anyway I found it rather painless to use the gcc toolchain (PPC) running under Windows (requires Cygwin). Yours - Rene