Forums

Cypress PSOC 6

Started by Unknown May 26, 2018
It has been a while since I looked at anything Cypress.  I have a couple of PSOC something sticks that were fun to play with a bit, but I never used the CPU for a project.  Now they have come out with a PSOC 6 with asymmetric dual processors, and M4 and a M0+ with an optional BLE radio and stack.  Looks like they are using the M0+ to control the BLE and the M4 is for user code.  I think this could be an interesting Forth target.  

There is a "PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit", part number CY8CKIT-062-BLE, using the CY8C6347BZI-BLD53 which has the BLE but not the programmable logic blocks.  Darn!  I don't get why they wouldn't have used the device with the most capability.  But the parts are new, so maybe that one isn't out yet.  Yeah, no pricing available for it.  Oh well.  I expect I can play with the tools to see what the programmable blocks can do.  Last time I used their tools though, they tried to isolate you from any details which I don't care for.  We'll see.  

This kit uses a USB-C connector to connect to the host.  I think they wanted to promote their USB-C chip.  They provide an adapter cable, so that's good, but now I have to keep track of this one cable! 

The kit also comes with an e-Ink display which is the real reason why I want this.  I've been wanting to play with one for some time to measure how much energy is required to update the display.  Details like this are hard to find and there are modes where a portion of the display can be updated to save on energy use.  Lots of experimenting to do! 

Rick C.
On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 12:44:23 PM UTC-4, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
> It has been a while since I looked at anything Cypress. I have a couple of PSOC something sticks that were fun to play with a bit, but I never used the CPU for a project. Now they have come out with a PSOC 6 with asymmetric dual processors, and M4 and a M0+ with an optional BLE radio and stack. Looks like they are using the M0+ to control the BLE and the M4 is for user code. I think this could be an interesting Forth target. > > There is a "PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit", part number CY8CKIT-062-BLE, using the CY8C6347BZI-BLD53
Seems I got myself confused over the part number. They say to use one part number in PSOC Creator but a different part number is used on the board. Further that part number leaves out the speed indicator so I thought it was invalid. But it seems to be reported elsewhere such as in the OpenOCD files so it must be right. The PN they say to use in their tools is CY8C6347BZI-BLD53, but the true part number is CY8C637BZI-BLD74 which appears to be a fully featured part. I expect this is a PN for an early release part just for evaluation since it doesn't show in the data sheets. Rick C.
gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com wrote:
> Seems I got myself confused over the part number. They say to use one > part number in PSOC Creator but a different part number is used on the > board. Further that part number leaves out the speed indicator so I > thought it was invalid. But it seems to be reported elsewhere such as in > the OpenOCD files so it must be right. The PN they say to use in their > tools is CY8C6347BZI-BLD53, but the true part number is CY8C637BZI-BLD74 > which appears to be a fully featured part. I expect this is a PN for an > early release part just for evaluation since it doesn't show in the data > sheets.
Generally the deal with Cypress parts is they're all the same silicon, they just run a 'supervisor ROM' that turns off various features to suit the price point. I wouldn't be surprised if this shows through occasionally. http://dmitry.gr/index.php?r=05.Projects&proj=23.%20PSoC4 Theo
On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 7:39:31 PM UTC-4, Theo wrote:
> gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com wrote: > > Seems I got myself confused over the part number. They say to use one > > part number in PSOC Creator but a different part number is used on the > > board. Further that part number leaves out the speed indicator so I > > thought it was invalid. But it seems to be reported elsewhere such as in > > the OpenOCD files so it must be right. The PN they say to use in their > > tools is CY8C6347BZI-BLD53, but the true part number is CY8C637BZI-BLD74 > > which appears to be a fully featured part. I expect this is a PN for an > > early release part just for evaluation since it doesn't show in the data > > sheets. > > Generally the deal with Cypress parts is they're all the same silicon, they > just run a 'supervisor ROM' that turns off various features to suit the price > point. I wouldn't be surprised if this shows through occasionally. > > http://dmitry.gr/index.php?r=05.Projects&proj=23.%20PSoC4
This is one of the most interesting things I've read on embedded processors in a while. I am not surprised they use a single die for multiple devices, even the FPGA manufacturers have done that. But I am surprised the disabling is done via software and that a rootkit can be implanted. So even your toaster is subject to viruses!? Rick C.