802.11b Wireless Chip?

Started by Clif February 6, 2005
Where can I get some inexpensive WiFi chips with good documentations and
perhaps a development kit?

"Clif" <__cliftonk77@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Where can I get some inexpensive WiFi chips with good documentations and > perhaps a development kit? >
You cannot get inexpensive "WiFi" chips. You can get 802.11a/b/g etc chips, and getting your design through WiFi qulification is going to cost you. Without a volume of 200ku. you are better off with a WiFi approved module. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This message is intended to be my own personal view and it may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
I assumed that a WiFi chip was the same as a 802.11 a/be/go. I'm still not
clear about the distinction you're making?

Where can I get 802.11a/be/go chips?
Where can I find prequalified modules with documentation?

"Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote in message
> "Clif" <__cliftonk77@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet > news:etadnR785pFWJpjfRVn-sw@comcast.com... >> Where can I get some inexpensive WiFi chips with good documentations and >> perhaps a development kit? >> > > You cannot get inexpensive "WiFi" chips. > You can get 802.11a/b/g etc chips, and getting > your design through WiFi qulification is going to cost you. > Without a volume of 200ku. you are better off with a > WiFi approved module. > > -- > Best Regards, > Ulf Samuelsson > ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com > This message is intended to be my own personal view and it > may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB > >
If your target volume is under 10000 to 50000, then just buy standard Wifi
PCMCIA adapters (may be 20-25$ in volume). Using prism chipset based modules
is easier as source code for drivers is available from Linux, as a starting
point...
Good luck,
Yours,

--
Robert Lacoste
ALCIOM - The mixed signal experts

To contact us, thanks to click on the antispam link below :
http://www.cerbermail.com/?dCSHUxvwpw

"Clif" <__cliftonk77@hotmail.com> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message de news:
nsSdnaVARdZVzpXfRVn-pQ@comcast.com...
>I assumed that a WiFi chip was the same as a 802.11 a/be/go. I'm still not >clear about the distinction you're making? > > Where can I get 802.11a/be/go chips? > Where can I find prequalified modules with documentation? > > > "Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote in message > news:36m7odF52u08aU1@individual.net... >> "Clif" <__cliftonk77@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet >> news:etadnR785pFWJpjfRVn-sw@comcast.com... >>> Where can I get some inexpensive WiFi chips with good documentations and >>> perhaps a development kit? >>> >> >> You cannot get inexpensive "WiFi" chips. >> You can get 802.11a/b/g etc chips, and getting >> your design through WiFi qulification is going to cost you. >> Without a volume of 200ku. you are better off with a >> WiFi approved module. >> >> -- >> Best Regards, >> Ulf Samuelsson >> ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com >> This message is intended to be my own personal view and it >> may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB >> >> > >
As a complement : If your target volume is under some hundred of units, then
have a look at the Wiport solution (from Lantronix).

Cheers,
Robert

"Robert Lacoste" <see-www-alciom-com-for-email-adress> a &#4294967295;crit dans le
message de news: 42087252$0$26212$7a628cd7@news.club-internet.fr...
> If your target volume is under 10000 to 50000, then just buy standard Wifi > PCMCIA adapters (may be 20-25$ in volume). Using prism chipset based > modules is easier as source code for drivers is available from Linux, as a > starting point... > Good luck, > Yours, > > -- > Robert Lacoste > ALCIOM - The mixed signal experts > www.alciom.com > > To contact us, thanks to click on the antispam link below : > http://www.cerbermail.com/?dCSHUxvwpw > > > "Clif" <__cliftonk77@hotmail.com> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message de news: > nsSdnaVARdZVzpXfRVn-pQ@comcast.com... >>I assumed that a WiFi chip was the same as a 802.11 a/be/go. I'm still not >>clear about the distinction you're making? >> >> Where can I get 802.11a/be/go chips? >> Where can I find prequalified modules with documentation? >> >> >> "Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote in message >> news:36m7odF52u08aU1@individual.net... >>> "Clif" <__cliftonk77@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet >>> news:etadnR785pFWJpjfRVn-sw@comcast.com... >>>> Where can I get some inexpensive WiFi chips with good documentations >>>> and >>>> perhaps a development kit? >>>> >>> >>> You cannot get inexpensive "WiFi" chips. >>> You can get 802.11a/b/g etc chips, and getting >>> your design through WiFi qulification is going to cost you. >>> Without a volume of 200ku. you are better off with a >>> WiFi approved module. >>> >>> -- >>> Best Regards, >>> Ulf Samuelsson >>> ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com >>> This message is intended to be my own personal view and it >>> may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB >>> >>> >> >> > >
"Clif" <__cliftonk77@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I assumed that a WiFi chip was the same as a 802.11 a/be/go. I'm still not > clear about the distinction you're making?
The chips follow the 802.11(a/b/g) standard. Once you build a product, then you can run through a set of tests and if you pass, then you can put the WiFi stamp on your product. Those tests cost money. It is difficult to get the RF part running properly without expertise, so most companies would be very reluctant in supporting you or even sell you chips.
> > Where can I get 802.11a/be/go chips?
> Where can I find prequalified modules with documentation?
google, or ask your local friendly distributors?

-- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This message is intended to be my own personal view and it may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
I'd also add this one to the list:

http://www.digi.com/products/embeddeddeviceservers/digiconnectwime.jsp

Never tried. No idea of cost, either.

messaggio news:420872aa$0$26205$7a628cd7@news.club-internet.fr...
Ulf Samuelsson wrote in message <36ssq2F55mnepU2@individual.net>...
>"Clif" <__cliftonk77@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet >news:nsSdnaVARdZVzpXfRVn-pQ@comcast.com... >> I assumed that a WiFi chip was the same as a 802.11 a/be/go. I'm still
not
>> clear about the distinction you're making? > >The chips follow the 802.11(a/b/g) standard. >Once you build a product, then you can run through a set of tests >and if you pass, then you can put the WiFi stamp on your product. >Those tests cost money. >It is difficult to get the RF part running properly without expertise, >so most companies would be very reluctant in supporting >you or even sell you chips. > >> >> Where can I get 802.11a/be/go chips? > >> Where can I find prequalified modules with documentation? > >google, or ask your local friendly distributors? > >> > > > >-- >Best Regards, >Ulf Samuelsson >ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com
I recently finished the design of an 802.11 transceiver . Just the hardware took a half year to design and get through FCC testing+approval just the FCC takes from 3 months and up usually) , and there was another guy doing the firmware in parallel . I used relatively exotic and mucho expensive equipment such as a vector network analyzer, synthesised spectrum analyzer , modulation analyzer , to mention just a few. So better buy a ready made solution from China , it's just so much easier these days . best regards, Matt Tudor
Thanks for the information. It seems that one of the above solutions or a
WiFi CF card might be the next step.

"Antonio Pasini" <NOSPAM_pasini.a@tin.it> wrote in message
> I'd also add this one to the list: > > http://www.digi.com/products/embeddeddeviceservers/digiconnectwime.jsp > > Never tried. No idea of cost, either. > > "Robert Lacoste" <see-www-alciom-com-for-email-adress> ha scritto nel > messaggio news:420872aa$0$26205$7a628cd7@news.club-internet.fr... > > As a complement : If your target volume is under some hundred of units, > > then have a look at the Wiport solution (from Lantronix). > > >
I know that in Finland Digi Connect WiMe is around 150-160 EUR. Digi Connect Me around 50-60 EUR While WLAN adapters (PCMCIA/PCI/USB/...) are around 20 EUR. I can accept that WiMe is clearly more expensive than high volume consumer stuff. But 8x is more than acceptable. I the space is not an issue, for 150 EUR it is possible to buy low spec SBC card with ethernet and separate WLAN HW. And you get the SBC to do the actual job.... Does anyone know of reasonably priced alternatives to Digi Connect WiMe?? Pygmi

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference