AT91rm9200 Devel. Board (Student Project): Choice of OS??

Started by Mayank Kaushik February 7, 2005
Hi,

Im a senior undergrad working on a project to develop an
AT91RM9200-based development board, which will be my final undergrad
project. Till now, i have been working on interfacing stuff to this
controller, setting up its internal peripherals to build interfaces for
a final development board.

Nows the time to start thinking about having an OS running on the final
product. To this end, ive been looking for an OS which would fit the
bill.

Obviously, the first choice was ARM-Linux. It is whole-heartedly
supported by Atmel for this particular uC im using. But the quandry im
faced with now is that it looks like theyve already done everything
thats needed for the OS to be run on this uC..seems like i just have to
add enough storage for the OS to breathe in, theyv taken care of the
drivers etc for the peripherals..theres nothing left for me to do! am i
right in thinking so?

Comments on the above are invited.

Thanx,
Mayank

> Im a senior undergrad working on a project to develop an > AT91RM9200-based development board, which will be my final undergrad > project. Till now, i have been working on interfacing stuff to this > controller, setting up its internal peripherals to build interfaces for > a final development board. > > Nows the time to start thinking about having an OS running on the final > product. To this end, ive been looking for an OS which would fit the > bill. > > Obviously, the first choice was ARM-Linux. It is whole-heartedly > supported by Atmel for this particular uC im using. But the quandry im > faced with now is that it looks like theyve already done everything > thats needed for the OS to be run on this uC..seems like i just have to > add enough storage for the OS to breathe in, theyv taken care of the > drivers etc for the peripherals..theres nothing left for me to do! am i > right in thinking so? > > Comments on the above are invited. > > Thanx, > Mayank
The devil is in the details. Thinks that could be nice to look into is: 1) Linux 2.6 support is there but does not have as many drivers as the 2.4 2) USB Device support (especially in U-Boot) It would be cool, if you could have S/W in U.-Boot that made the part emulate a USB disk 3) Support for external ADCs 4) Codec support for Audio handling 5) Get QT-Embedded to run easily (www.trolltech.com). -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This message is intended to be my own personal view and it may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>>Im a senior undergrad working on a project to develop an >>AT91RM9200-based development board, which will be my final undergrad >>project. Till now, i have been working on interfacing stuff to this >>controller, setting up its internal peripherals to build interfaces for >>a final development board. >> >>Nows the time to start thinking about having an OS running on the final >>product. To this end, ive been looking for an OS which would fit the >>bill. >> >>Obviously, the first choice was ARM-Linux. It is whole-heartedly >>supported by Atmel for this particular uC im using. But the quandry im >>faced with now is that it looks like theyve already done everything >>thats needed for the OS to be run on this uC..seems like i just have to >>add enough storage for the OS to breathe in, theyv taken care of the >>drivers etc for the peripherals..theres nothing left for me to do! am i >>right in thinking so? >> >>Comments on the above are invited. >> >>Thanx, >>Mayank > > > The devil is in the details. > > Thinks that could be nice to look into is: > 1) Linux 2.6 support is there but does not have as many drivers as the 2.4 > 2) USB Device support (especially in U-Boot) > It would be cool, if you could have S/W in U.-Boot that made the part > emulate a USB disk > 3) Support for external ADCs > 4) Codec support for Audio handling > 5) Get QT-Embedded to run easily (www.trolltech.com).
So there is no u-boot for the at91rm9200 board yet from Atmel? Hmm...if you sponsor a board I can make it within 1/2 days (o; rick
We have U-Boot, but no U-Boot with a USB Client that supports a USB Mass Storage Device. Where are you located? Finland? -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This message is intended to be my own personal view and it may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>>>Thinks that could be nice to look into is: >>>1) Linux 2.6 support is there but does not have as many drivers as the > > 2.4 > >>>2) USB Device support (especially in U-Boot) >>> It would be cool, if you could have S/W in U.-Boot that made the > > part > >>>emulate a USB disk >>>3) Support for external ADCs >>>4) Codec support for Audio handling >>>5) Get QT-Embedded to run easily (www.trolltech.com). >> >>So there is no u-boot for the at91rm9200 board yet from Atmel? >> >>Hmm...if you sponsor a board I can make it within 1/2 days (o; >> >> >>rick > > > We have U-Boot, but no U-Boot with a USB Client that supports a USB Mass > Storage Device. > > Where are you located? Finland?
Exactly (o; rick
Jedi wrote:
> Ulf Samuelsson wrote: > >>>> Thinks that could be nice to look into is: >>>> 1) Linux 2.6 support is there but does not have as many drivers as the >> >> >> 2.4 >> >>>> 2) USB Device support (especially in U-Boot) >>>> It would be cool, if you could have S/W in U.-Boot that made the >> >> >> part >> >>>> emulate a USB disk >>>> 3) Support for external ADCs >>>> 4) Codec support for Audio handling >>>> 5) Get QT-Embedded to run easily (www.trolltech.com). >>> >>> >>> So there is no u-boot for the at91rm9200 board yet from Atmel? >>> >>> Hmm...if you sponsor a board I can make it within 1/2 days (o; >>> >>> >>> rick >> >> >> >> We have U-Boot, but no U-Boot with a USB Client that supports a USB Mass >> Storage Device.
Don't find the price for te DK in EBV's online inventory...only chips for around 20 Euros which are not in stock anyway... But I think there are already too many AT92RM9200 boards around (o; No need to develop new one (o; rick
Jedi wrote:
> Jedi wrote: > >> Ulf Samuelsson wrote: >> >>>>> Thinks that could be nice to look into is: >>>>> 1) Linux 2.6 support is there but does not have as many drivers as the >>> >>> >>> >>> 2.4 >>> >>>>> 2) USB Device support (especially in U-Boot) >>>>> It would be cool, if you could have S/W in U.-Boot that made the >>> >>> >>> >>> part >>> >>>>> emulate a USB disk >>>>> 3) Support for external ADCs >>>>> 4) Codec support for Audio handling >>>>> 5) Get QT-Embedded to run easily (www.trolltech.com). >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> So there is no u-boot for the at91rm9200 board yet from Atmel? >>>> >>>> Hmm...if you sponsor a board I can make it within 1/2 days (o; >>>> >>>> >>>> rick >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> We have U-Boot, but no U-Boot with a USB Client that supports a USB Mass >>> Storage Device. > > > Don't find the price for te DK in EBV's online inventory...only chips > for around 20 Euros which are not in stock anyway...
Okay...ONLY 1700 Euros! rick
> > But I think there are already too many AT92RM9200 boards around (o; > No need to develop new one (o; > > rick > > >>> >>> Where are you located? Finland? >> >> >> >> Exactly (o; >> >> >> rick >>
Mr Samuelsson,

Could you please ask the guys in ur company why atmel has virtually no
presense in India? Getting high end parts like the ARM7 or ARM9
varieties is a pain, often the shipping costs are greater than that of
the part itself !

Regards

Mayank

I will forward your comment to the appropriate persons. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This message is intended to be my own personal view and it may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Mass
There are three distributors in Finland: EBV, Arrow and Acte. I think you may find stock at the other two. EBV is quite new as an Atmel F&#4294967295;nland distributor, and this affects what they have in stock. It has been in production for almost 2 years. The AT91RM9200DK is now obsolete, so you are not likely to get hold of one unless you are very lucky. The pricing of 1700 Euros is out of line so you should shop around. The AT91RM9200EK which replaces the DK will be about 10% cheaper. You can get even cheaper boards like the www.cogcomp.com CSB337. www.at91.com has other links to boards. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This message is intended to be my own personal view and it may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB

Memfault Beyond the Launch