Low cost TCP/IP platform

Started by Gavin Jacobs February 19, 2005
I'm about to do some work with UPnP. The platform I need is described below. Any suggestions?

The specs are:
a) Any small embedded microprocessor c/w a multitasking OS and a TCP/IP stack
b) 10BaseT Ethernet interface
c) A few discrete I/O and a 1Wire interface for the Dallas temperature sensor

The development specs are:
i) Any free or open source compiler (C preferred, but will consider C++ or Java)
ii) Open source UPnP stack (SSDP, GENA, HTTP, etc.)

So far, I have found several possible hardware platforms. They are:

Modtronix (http://www.modtronix.com).
PIC micro, Ethernet, TCP/IP all for about $60.
Good price, but doesn't appear to have a multitasking OS.

Gumstix (http://www.gumstix.com)
CPU, Ethernet, TCP/IP, and Linux for about $160

TINI (http://www.maxim-ic.com/TINIplatform.cfm)
CPU, Ethernet, TCP/IP, and OS for about $110

Gavin

http://developer.axis.com You'll probably have to do the 1-Wire interface on your own, which ever way you go.
> The specs are: > a) Any small embedded microprocessor c/w a multitasking OS and a TCP/IP stack > b) 10BaseT Ethernet interface > c) A few discrete I/O and a 1Wire interface for the Dallas temperature sensor > > The development specs are: > i) Any free or open source compiler (C preferred, but will consider C++ or Java) > ii) Open source UPnP stack (SSDP, GENA, HTTP, etc.) >
[...]
Gavin,
      The Zilog Acclaim (ez80F91) has all of this except the
1-wire interface.  The 1-wire can be done in software, or by
using a Maxim bridge to I2C.

http://www.zilog.com/products/family.asp?fam=226

Dennis,

Gavin Jacobs wrote:

> I'm about to do some work with UPnP. The platform I need is described below. Any suggestions? > > The specs are: > a) Any small embedded microprocessor c/w a multitasking OS and a TCP/IP stack > b) 10BaseT Ethernet interface > c) A few discrete I/O and a 1Wire interface for the Dallas temperature sensor > > The development specs are: > i) Any free or open source compiler (C preferred, but will consider C++ or Java) > ii) Open source UPnP stack (SSDP, GENA, HTTP, etc.) > > So far, I have found several possible hardware platforms. They are: > > Modtronix (http://www.modtronix.com). > PIC micro, Ethernet, TCP/IP all for about $60. > Good price, but doesn't appear to have a multitasking OS. > > Gumstix (http://www.gumstix.com) > CPU, Ethernet, TCP/IP, and Linux for about $160 > > TINI (http://www.maxim-ic.com/TINIplatform.cfm) > CPU, Ethernet, TCP/IP, and OS for about $110 > > Gavin > > >
-- If sending a reply you will need to remove "7UP".
If you consider TINI (a Java based solution) you should also check: JOP - a Java Processor core for FPGAs: http://www.jopdesign.com/ Martin :)
"Gavin Jacobs" <notasnoball@inhell.com> wrote in message
> I'm about to do some work with UPnP. The platform I need is described > below. Any suggestions?
[-snip-] What is UPnP? -Neo
Neo wrote:
> "Gavin Jacobs" <notasnoball@inhell.com> wrote in message > news:BgRRd.11738$NN.3235@edtnps89... > >>I'm about to do some work with UPnP. The platform I need is described >>below. Any suggestions? > > [-snip-] > > What is UPnP? > > -Neo > >
Universal Plug-n-Play, a laughable, silly and ridiculous notion if there ever was one. I don't know who came up with this. Probably on a dare.
"Bryan Hackney" <no@body.home> wrote in message
> Neo wrote: >> "Gavin Jacobs" <notasnoball@inhell.com> wrote in message >> news:BgRRd.11738$NN.3235@edtnps89... >> >>>I'm about to do some work with UPnP. The platform I need is described >>>below. Any suggestions? >> >> [-snip-] >> >> What is UPnP? >> >> -Neo >> >> > > Universal Plug-n-Play, a laughable, silly and ridiculous notion if > there ever was one. I don't know who came up with this. Probably on > a dare.
Is this about USB? -Neo
Neo <timeless_illusion@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Bryan Hackney" <no@body.home> wrote in message > news:61ASd.29912$911.21349@fe2.texas.rr.com...
[...]
> > Universal Plug-n-Play, a laughable, silly and ridiculous notion if > > there ever was one. I don't know who came up with this. Probably on > > a dare.
> Is this about USB?
No. Given the name, it probably should be, because that's what USB is supposedly about. But it's not. Roughly put, it's MS's re-invention of JINI: a TCP/UDP-based protocol that purports to do for small home-grown networks what SNMP does for huge corporate ones: make networked gadgets remote-serviceable via that same network, (somewhat) independent of the vendor. UPnP is thus among those ports every default installation of Windows 2K or XP will listen to unless firewalled, but hardly anyone actually uses. In other words, it's a security breach waiting to happen. -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:33:26 +0000, Hans-Bernhard Broeker wrote:

> Neo <timeless_illusion@yahoo.com> wrote: >> "Bryan Hackney" <no@body.home> wrote in message >> news:61ASd.29912$911.21349@fe2.texas.rr.com... > > [...] >> > Universal Plug-n-Play, a laughable, silly and ridiculous notion if >> > there ever was one. I don't know who came up with this. Probably on >> > a dare. > >> Is this about USB? > > No. Given the name, it probably should be, because that's what USB is > supposedly about. But it's not. > > Roughly put, it's MS's re-invention of JINI: a TCP/UDP-based protocol > that purports to do for small home-grown networks what SNMP does for > huge corporate ones: make networked gadgets remote-serviceable via > that same network, (somewhat) independent of the vendor. > > UPnP is thus among those ports every default installation of Windows > 2K or XP will listen to unless firewalled, but hardly anyone actually > uses. In other words, it's a security breach waiting to happen.
You make it sound like the security breach has not yet occurred - there have (IIRC) been several exploits of holes in UPnP on windows. There have also been plenty of exploits of UPnP on equipment - things like UPnP-enabled firewall/routers being so user-friendly that they'll let anyone configure them, even the bad guys. Basically, UPnP is yet another wonderful MS triumph of user-friendliness over user-usefulness. Make it easier for people who want to install new equipment but are incapable of reading even a single page "quick start" guide, regardless of how much easier they make it for unwanted "guests".
I have found this mod to be very use full, so it mite help you out

Ether I/O 24  from Elexol in Australia
http://www.elexol.com/IO_Modules

Price was $150.00 AU

Memfault Beyond the Launch