ISP programming and code prrotection

Started by eeh March 11, 2005
"R Adsett" <radsett@junk.aeolusdevelopment.cm> wrote in message
news:-aSdnW7QnfeNfazfRVn-iA@rogers.com...
> In article <z6KdnUEOHo4VTazfRVn-pA@golden.net>, marycoy4@execyulinky.comy > says... >> Maybe he's thinking of this... >> >> http://www.atmel.com/products/SecureAVR/Default.asp > > Beg pardon? Context man, context. Who's thinking of it in respect to > what?
I'm sorry for your confusion Robert. I was referring to SFC's post where he suggested searching for DES on Atmel's website. -- MT To reply directly, please remove all 5 occurrences of the letter 'y' from my address.
In article <N92dnc8ISKvVja_fRVn-oA@golden.net>, marycoy4@execyulinky.comy
says...
> "R Adsett" <radsett@junk.aeolusdevelopment.cm> wrote in message > news:-aSdnW7QnfeNfazfRVn-iA@rogers.com... > > In article <z6KdnUEOHo4VTazfRVn-pA@golden.net>, marycoy4@execyulinky.comy > > says... > >> Maybe he's thinking of this... > >> > >> http://www.atmel.com/products/SecureAVR/Default.asp > > > > Beg pardon? Context man, context. Who's thinking of it in respect to > > what? > > > I'm sorry for your confusion Robert. I was referring to SFC's post where he > suggested searching for DES on Atmel's website. >
Thanks Mark, that makes a lot more sense. Robert
mark thomas wrote:
> "R Adsett" <radsett@junk.aeolusdevelopment.cm> wrote in message >> marycoy4@execyulinky.comy says... > >>> Maybe he's thinking of this... >>> >>> http://www.atmel.com/products/SecureAVR/Default.asp >> >> Beg pardon? Context man, context. Who's thinking of it in >> respect to what? > > I'm sorry for your confusion Robert. I was referring to SFC's > post where he suggested searching for DES on Atmel's website.
You should realize that there is no reason that previous posts should be available at a given location, nor that they ever were there in the past. Thus quotations should include all the germane material, and excise everything that is not germane to a reply. An article should stand by itself. -- Chuck F (cbfalconer@yahoo.com) (cbfalconer@worldnet.att.net) Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems. <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!
how _exactly_ did this:

1: "I was referring to SFC's post where he suggested searching for DES on
Atmel's website."

help _you_ to understand this:

2: "Maybe he's thinking of this...
http://www.atmel.com/products/SecureAVR/Default.asp"

For me (and I'm going to make a wild assumption that it's the case for the
vast majority of people), it's plainly obvious what the context is in the
second example: i.e someone (It makes no difference to me who it was) was
referring to something to do with 'secure avr' on Atmel's website - a link
was provided for anyone that was interested.

In other words what part of "Maybe, he's thinking, Atmel, Secure, AVR" did
you not understand?  (Because, it really looks to me like you were just
making a point of the fact that the poster in question didn't quote - and if
you were making a point, why were you not honest about it and just say so,
rather than pretending to be baffled?).

What is it that I'm failing to see here?

Joe

> In article <N92dnc8ISKvVja_fRVn-oA@golden.net>, marycoy4@execyulinky.comy > says... > > "R Adsett" <radsett@junk.aeolusdevelopment.cm> wrote in message > > news:-aSdnW7QnfeNfazfRVn-iA@rogers.com... > > > In article <z6KdnUEOHo4VTazfRVn-pA@golden.net>,
marycoy4@execyulinky.comy
> > > says... > > >> Maybe he's thinking of this... > > >> > > >> http://www.atmel.com/products/SecureAVR/Default.asp > > > > > > Beg pardon? Context man, context. Who's thinking of it in respect to > > > what? > > > > > > I'm sorry for your confusion Robert. I was referring to SFC's post
where he
> > suggested searching for DES on Atmel's website. > > > > Thanks Mark, that makes a lot more sense. > > Robert
In article <d0thij$jib$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, ffffh.no.spam@hotmail-
spammers-paradise.com says...
> how _exactly_ did this: > > 1: "I was referring to SFC's post where he suggested searching for DES on > Atmel's website." > > help _you_ to understand this: > > 2: "Maybe he's thinking of this... > http://www.atmel.com/products/SecureAVR/Default.asp" >
Strangely enough it did provide enough extra information for it to make sense. This thread did start off on ISP code protection and the link made no sense (to me anyway) in that context but there was a branch off to Atmel providing DES support and that was enough extra information to bring the context back. Now someone who read those two responses without getting and remembering the branch could certainly be forgiven for being completly bamboozled at this point. And we've veered off topic well into the woods. <snip>
> In other words what part of "Maybe, he's thinking, Atmel, Secure, AVR" did > you not understand?
Mainly, what its relation to ISP was and what line of thought was being followed up.
>(Because, it really looks to me like you were just > making a point of the fact that the poster in question didn't quote - and if > you were making a point, why were you not honest about it and just say so, > rather than pretending to be baffled?).
Hey, just because you're baffled doesn't mean you can't make a point ;) I really wasn't following the line of thought though. Robert
> You can put an AVR in a state where you cannot read out and verify
but you
> can still erase it.
How? I only know there are 3 kinds of lock bits. 1: Mode 2: Application Protection mode 3: Boot Loader Protection mode