Free RTOS

Started by Ricardo Malerba December 21, 2004
Anybody knows a portable and free RTOS. Thanks in advance.
"Ricardo Malerba" <r_malerba@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Anybody knows a portable and free RTOS. Thanks in advance.
For what device? small http://www.FreeRTOS.org larger http://sources.redhat.com/ecos + others
uC/OS-II ( www.ucos-ii.com ) is free for learning purposes.  A royalty is associated
with commercial applications, however.  I recommend getting the book, "MicroC/OS-II: The
Real-Time Kernel", that goes along with it.  It teaches the inner workings of an RTOS -
very informative.  It can usually be found on Half.com for around $40.

Alex Parkinson
"Alex Parkinson" ...
> uC/OS-II ( www.ucos-ii.com ) is free for learning purposes. A royalty is
associated
> with commercial applications, however. I recommend getting the book,
"MicroC/OS-II: The
> Real-Time Kernel", that goes along with it. It teaches the inner workings
of an RTOS -
> very informative. It can usually be found on Half.com for around $40.
AFAIK: the OS is not free, it comes with the book and cannot be downloaded separately. Only the port dependent parts are freely available on the website. When you buy the book, using it for study and private purposes is free. To use it in a product you need to buy a license. The book + CD is highly recommended study material and really worth the money. Be sure to get the most recent version, you do not get free updates anymore and the recent versions have added a lot of functionality! Regards, Arie de Muynck
Ricardo Malerba wrote:
> Anybody knows a portable and free RTOS. Thanks in advance.
Try XMK (http://www.shift-right.com/xmk). It is targeted specifically for microcontrollers and is BSD licensed (free as in beer).
RTEMS

DJ
--