Electric valves?

Started by Buddy Smith March 25, 2005
Hi,

I posted this earlier on comp.robotics.misc, but thought I might get
more insight here. Sorry if you read both groups...

I'm looking to build something for myself and would like some input.  I
want a device I can hook up to my household plumbing to allow me to
control temperature and pressure of my shower instead of just Hot and
Cold. Ideally it would have temperature sensors and motor-controlled
valves.  The temperatures sensors would try to hold temperature somewhat
constant. Of course a few safetys would be needed as well, ie if the
device fails it should not allow water to pass etc.

Any suggestions or pointers for the mechanical part of this design?

Thanks,

--buddy

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 02:42:12 +0000 (UTC), Buddy Smith
<nullset.spamtrap@dookie.net> wrote:

>Hi, > >I posted this earlier on comp.robotics.misc, but thought I might get >more insight here. Sorry if you read both groups... > >I'm looking to build something for myself and would like some input. I >want a device I can hook up to my household plumbing to allow me to >control temperature and pressure of my shower instead of just Hot and >Cold. Ideally it would have temperature sensors and motor-controlled >valves. The temperatures sensors would try to hold temperature somewhat >constant. Of course a few safetys would be needed as well, ie if the >device fails it should not allow water to pass etc. > >Any suggestions or pointers for the mechanical part of this design? >
Electricaly controlled water valves are use quite bit with sprinkler systems. The normal ones are normally only fully-open, or fully closed. I am sure there would be valves available for sprinkler systems which can be controlled between fully open, and fully closed. Whether these valves can hnadle the temperature of the hot side I am not sure. For the temperature sensor, you can quite easily use a thermo-couple of one of the silicon temperature sensors. Regards Anton Erasmus
You'll want a motorised mixing valve like this one... http://hbctechlit.honeywell.com/request.cfm?form=95C-10887 On the safety side you need something to shut off the flow if the power fails. The cheapest valve for this can be found on washing machine inlets. They are simple solenoids and snap shut when the power is removed. If you want to spend some more money these valves are also designed for hot water and have a fail safe. If the power fails then you can hear a clockwork mechanism winding the valve back to the unpowered position, open or closed, your choice. http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/motorise.htm Peter
Peter <moocowmoo@newprovidence.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> You'll want a motorised mixing valve like this one... > http://hbctechlit.honeywell.com/request.cfm?form=95C-10887
Ahh, I think motorised mixing valve was the search term I couldn't come up with :) Much thanks! --buddy
In article <d22i62$gti$1@news-int2.gatech.edu>,
nullset.spamtrap@dookie.net says...
> Hi, > > I posted this earlier on comp.robotics.misc, but thought I might get > more insight here. Sorry if you read both groups... > > I'm looking to build something for myself and would like some input. I > want a device I can hook up to my household plumbing to allow me to > control temperature and pressure of my shower instead of just Hot and > Cold. Ideally it would have temperature sensors and motor-controlled > valves. The temperatures sensors would try to hold temperature somewhat > constant. Of course a few safetys would be needed as well, ie if the > device fails it should not allow water to pass etc. > > Any suggestions or pointers for the mechanical part of this design? >
Do you realize that this has already been done without any do-it- yourself wiring? Look up "thermostatically controlled faucet" I would guess that they use a bimetallic element to control the proportions of hot and cold water to the shower head. Once you've got the temperature right through the faucet, you can control the pressure with a valve on the shower head. I can sympathize with your problem though. Our house has a well system where the pressure varies from 40 to 70 psi, and the washing machine is closer to the hot water tank than the shower. If someone starts up the washer while you're in the shower, look out! It's particularly annoying at low pressure when the washer is in the part of the cycle where it sprays the spinning clothes for about 5 seconds out of every 10. Mark Borgerson
Mark Borgerson <mborgerson@comcast.net> wrote:

> Do you realize that this has already been done without any do-it- > yourself wiring? Look up "thermostatically controlled faucet" > I would guess that they use a bimetallic element to control > the proportions of hot and cold water to the shower head. > Once you've got the temperature right through the faucet, > you can control the pressure with a valve on the shower > head.
In this case I could use a motor controlled valve for flow adjustment plus a thermostatic mixing valve for temperature. Is there an electronically adjustable thermostatic valve? ttyl, --buddy

Memfault Beyond the Launch