non-PCI 10/100 Ethernet Controller on the cheap

Started by sansuikyo December 20, 2004
We are developing a TCP/IP enabled embedded product and are looking for
a 10/100 non-PCI Ethernet Controller for as close to $3 (budgetary
pricing) as possible. We've found SMSC and Asix products as low as $8.
Is there anything out there that might be cheaper?

I'm curious - how was your budgetary pricing decided? Based on what volume? FYI, ASIX direct price starts at $7 @ qty25 (MOQ) and go to $5 @ qty1000. Are you getting prices from a distributor? See also Davicom, though they seem to be the least common: http://www.davicom.com.tw/eng/products/dm9000.htm Good luck, Richard
On 20 Dec 2004 15:43:02 -0800, "sansuikyo" <sansuikyo@gmail.com>
wrote:

>We are developing a TCP/IP enabled embedded product and are looking for >a 10/100 non-PCI Ethernet Controller for as close to $3 (budgetary >pricing) as possible. We've found SMSC and Asix products as low as $8. >Is there anything out there that might be cheaper?
Which SMSC part is that?
"sansuikyo" <sansuikyo@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> We are developing a TCP/IP enabled embedded product and are looking for > a 10/100 non-PCI Ethernet Controller for as close to $3 (budgetary > pricing) as possible. We've found SMSC and Asix products as low as $8. > Is there anything out there that might be cheaper? >
Davicom is quite cheap, but I doubt $3. Which MCU are you using today? It is probably cheaper with an integrated MCU+Ethernet. Next year you will see single chip ARM+Flash+SRAM+Ethernet so you might want to prepare for this.... -- Best Regards Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.
[.....]
Polish branch of Acte sells them for $5.55 + VAT @ 180pcs (2 trays - MOQ). For about $3.5 one can buy a 10Mbps controller eg. RTL8019AS or Davicom's DM9008; CS8900 is more expensive AFAIR.
> > Which MCU are you using today? > It is probably cheaper with an integrated MCU+Ethernet.
But usually you have to add an external PHY - about $3 + space on PCB.
> Next year you will see single chip ARM+Flash+SRAM+Ethernet > so you might want to prepare for this....
Will it have also a built-in Ethernet PHY? Regards, /J.D.

"Jan Dubiec" <jdx@SPAMTRAP.slackware.pl> skrev i meddelandet
> Ulf Samuelsson wrote on Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:58:53 +0100: > [.....] > > Davicom is quite cheap, but I doubt $3. > Polish branch of Acte sells them for $5.55 + VAT @ 180pcs (2 trays - MOQ). > For about $3.5 one can buy a 10Mbps controller eg. RTL8019AS or Davicom's > DM9008; CS8900 is more expensive AFAIR. > > > > > Which MCU are you using today? > > It is probably cheaper with an integrated MCU+Ethernet. > But usually you have to add an external PHY - about $3 + space on PCB. > > > Next year you will see single chip ARM+Flash+SRAM+Ethernet > > so you might want to prepare for this.... > Will it have also a built-in Ethernet PHY? >
Maybe, Maybe not, Atmel just licensed a Gigabit Ethernet PHY and I am trying to find out if it is applicable to 10/100 as well, and then if it is cost effective. Would be nice, wouldn't it? -- Best Regards Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.
The LAN9118-MT and LAN9118-MD

Actually I just heard back from the folks at ASIX and they did quote me
$5 for 1000 pieces. Thanks.

We are looking at the Atmel AT91SAM7S256 and the Philips LPC2138. The
Atmel AT91SAM7X128 looks ideal but will not be available in time for us.

It's probably cheaper to use a part with built in MAC.

I like the Motorola MCF5270, 32 bits, 95 mips, 10/100 phy, 64K of SRAM and  $7.50 at 10K

You need to add a Phy and  some flash, SDRAM if you want more than 64k,

We use a Davicom 10/100 PHY it can be had for less than $2 in 10K quantity
I've also seen the ADMTek/Infineon  phy quoted in this price range...

All in all  one could get a semiconductior BOM significantly less than $15.00

Netburner has Modules, a reference  design and a full set of RTOS, tcp and tools for this part
that will be availible in Q1.

Paul