apparantly been in use since the second world war but a description of the
mathematics involved is hiding. Maybe a text on navagation methods?

Hul

On 11/19/21 2:28 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:
> Anyone know the method for calculating a reciever's position from the time > difference between three rf pulse transmiters of known positions? This has > apparantly been in use since the second world war but a description of the > mathematics involved is hiding. Maybe a text on navagation methods? > > Hul >
The search term is LORAN. I think the last ones were decommissioned years ago - replaced by GPS.
On 2021-11-19, Hul Tytus <ht@panix.com> wrote:

> Anyone know the method for calculating a reciever's position from the time > difference between three rf pulse transmiters of known positions?
Yes. If you know the delta between the distances to two known locations, that places you on a hyperbola whose focii are those two known points. Plot the hyperbola on your map. Repat for the other two pairs of points. Hopefully there's one point where all three intersect.
https://www.sparknotes.com/math/precalc/conicsections/section4/ You can do it analytically instead of graphically if you want: https://www.analyzemath.com/HyperbolaProblems/hyperbola_intersection.html https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1920147/intersection-of-two-hyperbolas
On 2021-11-19, Grant Edwards <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-11-19, Hul Tytus <ht@panix.com> wrote: > >> Anyone know the method for calculating a reciever's position from the time >> difference between three rf pulse transmiters of known positions? > > Yes. If you know the delta between the distances to two known > locations, that places you on a hyperbola whose focii are those two > known points. Plot the hyperbola on your map.
Actually coastal navigational maps had/have those LORAN hyperbolas printed on them. So all you really had to do was read the delta value off the receiver, and then interpolate between two lines with dividers... rinse, repeat. https://www.penobscotmarinemuseum.org/pbho-1/collection/loran-lines-penobscot-bay-chart Modern LORAN receivers know where the transmitters are, do all the math internally, and just show you longitude/lattitude or display a map just like a GPS receiver. -- Grant
On 11/19/2021 1:28 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:
> Anyone know the method for calculating a reciever's position from the time > difference between three rf pulse transmiters of known positions? This has > apparantly been in use since the second world war but a description of the > mathematics involved is hiding. Maybe a text on navagation methods?
You will be dealing with families of "concentric" hyperbolae (as the equation for a hyperbola involves maintaining a constant difference between lengths of vectors to foci). LORAN was renowned for using this -- on a global scale. It has since been decommissioned in the wild but there's an abundance of information regarding its use and deployment. Note, however, that there are many subtleties buried in the LORAN implementation that make it differ from a theoretical approach. E.g., there are intentional delays introduced to make the numbers cleaner. If you are truly looking to navigate on a *large* scale (hundreds of miles), then you will have to consider things like changes in propagation delays over different types of terrain and the "shape" of that terrain (e.g., the Earth is an oblate sphere). Again, LORAN has these covered but you'll have to dig for details. Similar problems exist "in the small" for position resolution within a structure! (I use similar technology to determine where, in an "arena" -- home or office, in my case -- the user is sited) [If you look at a preprinted maritime map augmented with LORAN "lines of constant time difference", you'd see that they differ from what you would otherwise expect from a more naive mathematical/geometric treatment]
On 11/19/2021 3:54 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2021-11-19, Hul Tytus <ht@panix.com> wrote: > >> Anyone know the method for calculating a reciever's position from the time >> difference between three rf pulse transmiters of known positions? > > Yes. If you know the delta between the distances to two known > locations, that places you on a hyperbola whose focii are those two > known points. Plot the hyperbola on your map. > > Repat for the other two pairs of points. Hopefully there's one point where all three > intersect.
There may be *two* places where the hyperbolae intersect. If you understand the geometry of the pairs of foci, you may be able to rule out one case as "not possible" (in your application).
See if this helps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True-range_multilateration
On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 20:28:37 -0000 (UTC), Hul Tytus <ht@panix.com>
wrote:

>Anyone know the method for calculating a reciever's position from the time >difference between three rf pulse transmiters of known positions?
The word to look for is multilateration. Wikipedia has an article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multilateration Calculating the time differences based on a known position is relatively simple. Once you try to solve the equations to go the other way, the math gets ugly. Years ago, when I was playing with this, I resorted to a numerical solution. -- RoRo
Thanks Dennis. That points me in the right direction.

Hul

Dennis <dennis@none.none> wrote:
> On 11/19/21 2:28 PM, Hul Tytus wrote: > > Anyone know the method for calculating a reciever's position from the time > > difference between three rf pulse transmiters of known positions? This has > > apparantly been in use since the second world war but a description of the > > mathematics involved is hiding. Maybe a text on navagation methods? > > > > Hul > > > The search term is LORAN. I think the last ones were decommissioned > years ago - replaced by GPS.
Thanks Grant - that's whats needed.

Hul