Eclipse IDE based on what OS?

Started by Unknown May 9, 2005
I downloaded Eclipse IDE onto PC using Cross compiler for ARM based
board, I wanted to know this Eclipse is based on what OS?. If I write
some prog using Eclipse and downloaded into ARM, Does it use some OS?.
Thanks. I need to run under OS on ARM board. Please suggest me.

I need to write some socket based C prog and download onto ARM.

I would like to download Linux OS onto this ARM, does it possible, I am

looking for some link which provides Linux environment (using cross
compiler) fro ARM. Appreciated for your time.

Thanks.

On 9 May 2005 19:37:46 -0700, santa19992000@yahoo.com wrote in
comp.arch.embedded:

> I downloaded Eclipse IDE onto PC using Cross compiler for ARM based > board, I wanted to know this Eclipse is based on what OS?. If I write > some prog using Eclipse and downloaded into ARM, Does it use some OS?. > Thanks. I need to run under OS on ARM board. Please suggest me.
Eclipse is not based on any OS. It is a Java application and runs on any OS that has a JVM. Writing a program in the Eclipse IDE and compiling it with some compiler does not add any OS to the program you make. You have to do that yourself.
> I need to write some socket based C prog and download onto ARM. > > > I would like to download Linux OS onto this ARM, does it possible, I am
That depends. To run a regular version of Linux you need an ARM with memory management hardware on chip. Some versions of ARM have this, some do not. You also need enough memory. And you need a BSP, board support package, for your hardware configuration.
Other places to look for information: http://www.linuxembedded.com news:comp.sys.arm If you are using a commercial off-the-shelf board with an ARM on it, you should ask the board manufacturer if they have any information. -- Jack Klein Home: http://JK-Technology.Com FAQs for comp.lang.c http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html comp.lang.c++ http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/ alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~ajo/docs/FAQ-acllc.html
<santa19992000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded Eclipse IDE onto PC using Cross compiler for ARM based > board, I wanted to know this Eclipse is based on what OS?. If I write > some prog using Eclipse and downloaded into ARM, Does it use some OS?. > Thanks. I need to run under OS on ARM board. Please suggest me. > > > I need to write some socket based C prog and download onto ARM. > > > I would like to download Linux OS onto this ARM, does it possible, I am > > looking for some link which provides Linux environment (using cross > compiler) fro ARM. Appreciated for your time. > > > Thanks.
Eclipse is just a IDE to write your programs in (an editor) It is writen in java and there are different versions for each os you can use it on. You still need to download the cdt plugin and the arm gcc compiler (or other version of gcc) to use with it. For using it on windows see http://www.newmicros.com/download/appnotes/ARM/TiniARM_Dev_Eclipse.pdf Alex
Alex,

I have this controller only (New Micros ARM microcontroller), I would
like to load some Real time OS/Linux onto it. Please suggest me. I
would like to develop some Socket based program and also more robust
based application code. I would like to develop CLI (command line
interface) and multi task application for this ARM controller.

Thanks in advance.

On 10 May 2005 18:51:25 -0700, santa19992000@yahoo.com wrote:

>Alex, > >I have this controller only (New Micros ARM microcontroller), I would >like to load some Real time OS/Linux onto it. Please suggest me. I >would like to develop some Socket based program and also more robust >based application code. I would like to develop CLI (command line >interface) and multi task application for this ARM controller.
If you do not know how to achive this goal via commandline and a makefile I wouldn't try Eclipse in the first place (unless the OS you want to use on the ARM comes with an Eclipse plugin). I guess are missing the basic knowledge about all this. IIWY I wouldn't start with linux anyway, as this can get you into troubles that are hard to oversee. -- 42Bastian Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-) Use <same-name>@monlynx.de instead !

Memfault Beyond the Launch