Embedded Video module

Started by Don May 20, 2005
Hi All,

I am looking for recommendations for an embedded video module which I
can talk to with an 8 bit MPU (AVR).  I need to be able to control the
electronic shutter to grab a frame at a particular instant. Lighting
varies but is reasonably controlled by LED's.  Resolution needs to be
640x480 monochrome or better. Camera can be integral or seperate.
Communication can be serial or parallel.

Other option is to design from scratch, any existing proven circuits
which fill the bill?

I looked at an MVS device but they don't take mastercard & don't have an
email address.

Any ideas?

Don
hmm.. just yesterday I did make a camera to VGA unit, using 1) micron MT9T111 Camera SoC 2) xilinx s3-1000+sdram as video converter that was surprisingly easy, just used sdram+vga ip core from www.xess.com and added camera input unit. the MT9T111 Camera SoC is really coool thing! it is controlled over I2C and can do lots of things on chip. But you probably need to convert the camera data as it can not directly connected to VGA. That could be done with AL310, well I prefer the xilinx FPGA solution as the AL310 is large BGA and gets too hot. if you need complete module then the MT9T111 is not enough as it is only the sensor and processing + digital video output. Antti
"Don" <donatled@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi All, > > I am looking for recommendations for an embedded video module which I > can talk to with an 8 bit MPU (AVR). I need to be able to control the > electronic shutter to grab a frame at a particular instant. Lighting > varies but is reasonably controlled by LED's. Resolution needs to be > 640x480 monochrome or better. Camera can be integral or seperate. > Communication can be serial or parallel. > > Other option is to design from scratch, any existing proven circuits > which fill the bill? > > I looked at an MVS device but they don't take mastercard & don't have an > email address. > > Any ideas? > > Don
uups! You checked out MVS series from Cognex ?? Those are pretty much high-end things, your posting was about the use with AVR so I assumed lower cost range requirements. Cognex is pretty much one of the leaders in machine vision. Been once at their office in France and used their products also. They have lots of email addresses on their website, but if they dont have one-click on-line-order for credit cards then that is understandable as their main clients are not paying with credit cards. If you are looking into camera from Cognex they sure will sell it too you :) Antti
No, the MVS to which I refer is a hobbyist supplier in the US.  Would
love to be able to use Cognex on the project but that will trash the budget.

Cheers

Don
> > > uups! You checked out MVS series from Cognex ?? > Those are pretty much high-end things, your posting was about the use with > AVR so I assumed lower cost range requirements. Cognex is pretty much one of > the leaders in machine vision. Been once at their office in France and used > their products also. They have lots of email addresses on their website, but > if they dont have one-click on-line-order for credit cards then that is > understandable as their main clients are not paying with credit cards. If > you are looking into camera from Cognex they sure will sell it too you :) > > > Antti > >

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference