Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

Started by David T. Ashley May 23, 2005
Can anyone recommend a text editor they are very hapy with (and why)?

I'm tired of both Visual Studio and Metroworks CodeWarrior (for different
reasons).

Thanks, Dave.

"David T. Ashley" <dashley@cequentgroup.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a text editor they are very hapy with (and why)? > > I'm tired of both Visual Studio and Metroworks CodeWarrior (for different > reasons).
I use PFE. It doesn't do all the clever stuff many other editors do, but works well, is fast, and is free. Leon
On Mon, 23 May 2005 08:29:54 -0400, David T. Ashley
<dashley@cequentgroup.com> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a text editor they are very hapy with (and why)?
In the order of preference: Slickedit, Multiedit, vi.
> I'm tired of both Visual Studio and Metroworks CodeWarrior (for different > reasons).
IMHO, they both suck (for different reasons :) Vadim
"David T. Ashley" wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a text editor they are very hapy with (and why)?
I use Lemmy, a vi for Windows, because I still find that I can turn ideas into text more quickly with vi than with any other editor and because Lemmy is an excellent Windown implementation of vi. Check it out at http://www.softwareonline.org/products.html -- ======================================================================== Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make | two, one and one make one." mrkesti at comcast dot net | - The Who, Bargain
I am using Source Insight. This is certainly the best editor you can find. I used both Visual Studio (with Visual Assist) and CodeWarrior - and Source Insight is MUCH MUCH better!!! look at www.sourceinsight.com

David T. Ashley wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a text editor they are very happy with (and why)?
I really like UltraEdit, especially the ease of dong a search and replace in multiple files, including a CR/LF in a search and replace term, and - most important of all - a really good column mode. Any editor that doesn't have a good column mode isn't really suitable for coding. Other nice features are the insert row of incrementing/decrementing numbers (with/without leading zeros), Sum collumn, and easy conersion between DOS/Mac/Unix formats. I have been doing more and more Linux programming lately; does anyone know of a good text editor for linux that does collumns well?
On Mon, 23 May 2005 14:36:16 +0000, Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/>
wrote:

> I have been doing more and more Linux programming lately; does anyone > know of a good text editor for linux that does collumns well?
Slickedit. It runs in Linux and Windows. Vadim

gvim . Incredibly powerful. A bit of a learning curve but well worth it: http://www.vim.org Larry Gagnon

Looks interesting, but unfortunately it's Windows only. -- Al Balmer Balmer Consulting removebalmerconsultingthis@att.net
"David T. Ashley" wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a text editor they are very hapy with (and why)? > > I'm tired of both Visual Studio and Metroworks CodeWarrior (for > different reasons).
Try textpad, available at textpad.com. You can try it as long as you like, and the price is very reasonable. For windoze only, though, so if you want to become system independent you should look at emacs and vim. -- Some informative links: news:news.announce.newusers http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/ http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference