FTDI driver installation problems

Started by James M. Knox May 30, 2005
<james.knox@l-3com.com> wrote in message
news:1117632201.710685.22510@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> For test purposes, I have been using Procomm Plus. Straight terminal > program, just to display the data being sent over the line from the > device. If I let everything settle down between the host and the > device, then set Procomm Plus to serial port 3 (the "VCP" port), then > tell the device to start sending data - works fine. But if I then turn > off the device (the FTDI chip is self powered, which means it goes off > as well) and back on, not only does Procomm Plus appear to lock up, but > Win98 comes up with an internal error that won't go away without a > reboot. Haven't tried it under Win2K or XP yet.
That is a problem of Procomm, which doesn''t handle the disappearing port properly and Win98 might also crash for the same reason. Win2K and XP handle this much better, at least without a crash.
> One thing I suspect is that the driver is not happy if the device > starts sending data (or trying to) before all the enumeration is > completed.
That indeed points into the PnP direction. In our application, navigation instruments are connected to our device, constantly sending data, which is sent continuously to the FTDI chip, also when Windows starts. This has never been a problem. Strip every line that has "serenum" in it. Meindert