Want insight on Compact Flash Standard

Started by Johnson Liuis December 16, 2004
The compactflash standard a( or compactflash + standard which is more
appropriate), is a standard for the ultra-small, removable data storage
system and additional card functionality including magnetic disk drive data
storage and I/O cards such as ethernet, serial, fax/modem, digital phone
card, USB, barcode scanner, Bluetooth, 802.11b wireless LAN, wireless
digital cell phone cards, etc.
http://www.compactflash.org/

For now the compactflash peripherals seem quite popular for PDA device, like
PCMCIA for a few years ago, despite they are very similar.

I would like to get your opinions on the following questions:
Do you think in the next couple of years,  the compactflash standard is
likely to get more popular, or to become obsolete and being replaced by
another standard? Do you know any opponents of CF standard, either current
or potential, can replace CF standard in the future?

It is a very open-mind question, and any opinion will be highly regarded.

Thanks.

Johnson

> I would like to get your opinions on the following questions: > Do you think in the next couple of years, the compactflash standard
is
> likely to get more popular, or to become obsolete and being replaced
by
> another standard? Do you know any opponents of CF standard, either
current
> or potential, can replace CF standard in the future?
It seems to me that the USB memory stick will be the prevalent memory device in the coming five or ten years. CF has too many pins, which makes it more expensive and more vulnerable. Also USB will fit anywhere, while CF will always need special add-ons. CF was good for digital cameras, but there it is now replaced by SD-Cards. I would'nt expect any substantial growth for CF.
Nice view!

<mike102de@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I would like to get your opinions on the following questions: > > Do you think in the next couple of years, the compactflash standard > is > > likely to get more popular, or to become obsolete and being replaced > by > > another standard? Do you know any opponents of CF standard, either > current > > or potential, can replace CF standard in the future? > > It seems to me that the USB memory stick will be the prevalent memory > device in the coming five or ten years. CF has too many pins, which > makes it more expensive and more vulnerable. Also USB will fit > anywhere, while CF will always need special add-ons. CF was good for > digital cameras, but there it is now replaced by SD-Cards. I would'nt > expect any substantial growth for CF. >
Hello, Mike,

Could you please let me know why most of current PDAs do not support USB
port?

Thanks.

Johnson

Johnson Liuis wrote:

> Could you please let me know why most of current PDAs do not support USB > port? > > Thanks. > > Johnson >
Johnson, This is the type of question that is asked by someone who has never looked into what a USB anything is. So a simple answer: USB is a master / slave interface. The PC/MAC is a master and everything else is a slave. ( this includes disk drives and scanner/camera devices) So a PDA has to be a master. Until very recently, master chips for embedded application did not exist. Now, go look up USB. hamilton
hamilton wrote:
> > > Johnson Liuis wrote: > >> Could you please let me know why most of current PDAs do not support USB >> port? >> >> Thanks. >> >> Johnson >> > > Johnson, > > This is the type of question that is asked by someone who has never > looked into what a USB anything is. > > So a simple answer: > > USB is a master / slave interface. > > The PC/MAC is a master and everything else is a slave. > ( this includes disk drives and scanner/camera devices) > > So a PDA has to be a master. > > Until very recently, master chips for embedded application did not > exist. > > > Now, go look up USB. > > > hamilton
Posting a question on a newsgroup *is* looking it up. -- Joe Legris
Not entirely correct. USB-on-the-go (http://www.usb.org/developers/onthego/) provides a peer-to-peer connection between what otherwise would be slave devices.

steven wrote:
> > > Not entirely correct. USB-on-the-go (http://www.usb.org/developers/onthego/) > provides a peer-to-peer connection between what otherwise would be slave > devices. > >
I wonder how many embedded devices use this technology ?? Does anyone know what devices use which chips ? hamilton
Johnson Liuis wrote:
> Hello, Mike, > > Could you please let me know why most of current PDAs do not support
USB
> port? >
Hello Johnson, good question. It might be too early. I still use a Palm IIIx, even without CF or SD card slot, but if I were looking for a new PDA, I would certainly want one or two USB ports. It would allow to connect keyboard and mouse, it would permit to copy images from a camera, connect a printer and transfer data to a PC. Also intelligent peripherals like a GPS receiver could be easily connected. Maybe it is just wishful thinking, but I don't see any better alternative for PDAs. Michael
"Johnson Liuis" <gpsabove@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello, Mike, > > Could you please let me know why most of current PDAs do not support USB > port? > > Thanks. > > Johnson >
USB slaves are easy to make/program and require few resources on the target. USB hosts (masters) are complex and resource hungry. (Read: expensive) Microsoft doesn't mind squandering your computers resources on the host protocol, which is probably the main reason it (USB) became so ubiquitous. Rufus