I2C - Chip not responding

Started by Gavin Jacobs June 13, 2005
I have an I2C bus with a PIC6621 master and a 24LC512 EEPROM slave. It is
working. I am trying to add a DS1307 and a DS2482 to the I2C bus, but I can't
get any response from either of the latter. I can see the SCL and SDA lines on
my Optascope (and admittedly, the Optascope just barely has the power to see a
100 kHz signal). When I send the I2C address, I can verify the 8 bit pattern of
SDA, but when the slave is supposed to send an ACK by holding SDA low, all I see
is a high NACK pulse instead. It appears that the slave is not responding, or
choosing to send a NACK. I have verified the addressing of the DS1307 (0xD0) and
the DS2482 (0x30), so I'm stuck. Any suggestions are welcome.

On Monday, in article <GXkre.47768$wr.42953@clgrps12>
     nochancey@mrwhalen.com "Gavin Jacobs" wrote:
>I have an I2C bus with a PIC6621 master and a 24LC512 EEPROM slave. It is
What clock speed as this device can go up to 400KHz?
>working. I am trying to add a DS1307 and a DS2482 to the I2C bus, but I can't >get any response from either of the latter. I can see the SCL and SDA lines on >my Optascope (and admittedly, the Optascope just barely has the power to see a >100 kHz signal). When I send the I2C address, I can verify the 8 bit pattern of
So I wonder what clock speed you are trying to run at as DS1307 at least is 100KHz MAX I2C clock rate (SCL).
Paul Carpenter wrote:
> On Monday, in article <GXkre.47768$wr.42953@clgrps12> > nochancey@mrwhalen.com "Gavin Jacobs" wrote: >> I have an I2C bus with a PIC6621 master and a 24LC512 EEPROM slave. It is > > What clock speed as this device can go up to 400KHz?
It was initially set at 400 kHz, but now it is running at 100kHz; which I did manage to verify on the Optascope.
"Gavin Jacobs" <nochancey@mrwhalen.com> wrote in message news:GXkre.47768$wr.42953@clgrps12...
>I have an I2C bus with a PIC6621 master and a 24LC512 EEPROM slave. It is > working. I am trying to add a DS1307 and a DS2482 to the I2C bus, but I can't > get any response from either of the latter. I can see the SCL and SDA lines on > my Optascope (and admittedly, the Optascope just barely has the power to see a > 100 kHz signal). When I send the I2C address, I can verify the 8 bit pattern of > SDA, but when the slave is supposed to send an ACK by holding SDA low, all I see > is a high NACK pulse instead. It appears that the slave is not responding, or > choosing to send a NACK. I have verified the addressing of the DS1307 (0xD0) and > the DS2482 (0x30), so I'm stuck. Any suggestions are welcome. >
I now have it working. I had two problems: 1) The DS1307 absolutely MUST have a battery connected 2) The very last read of the device must be NACKed by the Master
"Gavin Jacobs" <notasnoball@inhell.com> wrote in message
> > 2) The very last read of the device must be NACKed by the Master
Darn. I almost suggested this [1], but it didn't seem to fit the symptoms you described. Sorry. [1] I also wasted a day or so staring at 'scope traces due to having missed this point in the specs... Steve http://www.fivetrees.com

Memfault Beyond the Launch