Tiny and cheap little USB to UART bridge

Started by PICUser June 30, 2005
Check out:

http://www.customidea.com/hr-usbuart.php

VCP drivers for windows work great and its stand alone you just need to
connect TX/RX and ground.

On 30 Jun 2005 10:45:16 -0700, "PICUser" <reubenwilcock@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Check out: > >http://www.customidea.com/hr-usbuart.php > >VCP drivers for windows work great and its stand alone you just need to >connect TX/RX and ground.
___ Pretty neat! Will it work under 98SE?
Charles Jean wrote:

> > Pretty neat! Will it work under 98SE? >
I suspect it's an FTDI chip on a neat little PCB- so the answer is probably yes. Paul Burke
Yes I think it does work with Win 98SE. Its not an FTDI chip - you
couldnt fit one in that small size I dont think.

Paul Burke wrote:
> Charles Jean wrote: > > > > > Pretty neat! Will it work under 98SE? > > > > I suspect it's an FTDI chip on a neat little PCB- so the answer is > probably yes. > > Paul Burke
>> Pretty neat! Will it work under 98SE? > > I suspect it's an FTDI chip on a neat little PCB- so the answer is > probably yes.
Its a Silicon Labs CP2101 according to the datasheet in an MLP form factor (5mm square). Neat though - minimal external components required. Andrew
Yeah it works on its own - you dont have to have anything else there,
just the HR-USBUART connected to your micro via TX/RX and ground.

Yes, kind of like we did making a board that has pads and holes in the same pattern as a DE9 so we could retrofit our RS-232: http://www.industrologic.com/usbprod.htm -- Gary Peek mailto:mylastname@mycompanyname.com Industrologic, Inc. http://www.industrologic.com Phone: (636) 723-4000 Fax: (636) 724-2288
PICUser <reubenwilcock@gmail.com> wrote:
> Check out:
> http://www.customidea.com/hr-usbuart.php
> VCP drivers for windows work great and its stand alone you just need to > connect TX/RX and ground.
Before using that chip, think about the company politics about not releasing a linux open source driver (http://www.kroah.com/log/2004/11/18/). Bye -- Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
yea, it has a internal 48Mhz oscillator, I wonder if thats just a
trimmed R/C oscillator, usually they aren't good enough for serial
timing,

All I can say is that I have used them with the 921600baud rate and it
works perfectly. I have had only bad experiences with the DLP ones
based on the FTDI chip and their support was terrible. I am sure Si
Labs will address the Linus issue in time...

joep wrote:
> yea, it has a internal 48Mhz oscillator, I wonder if thats just a > trimmed R/C oscillator, usually they aren't good enough for serial > timing,

Memfault Beyond the Launch