What devices will run Java bytecode?

Started by Luc The Perverse July 27, 2005
I'd like to design some software in java and have it work, without
any headaches, on a portable device (I'm envisioning a palm pilot,
Ipod, Cell phone,. the playstation thing . . or something similar)

I can't seem to find a list of devices which take bytecode.   I
imagine I would be doing mostly text based stuff.

--
"When you have to choose between a first-rate company with a
second-rate product and a second-rate company with a first-rate

"Luc The Perverse" <sll_noSpamlicious_z_XXX_m@cc.usu.edu> wrote in message
> I'd like to design some software in java and have it work, without any > headaches, on a portable device (I'm envisioning a palm pilot, Ipod, Cell > phone,. the playstation thing . . or something similar) > > I can't seem to find a list of devices which take bytecode. I imagine I > would be doing mostly text based stuff. >
The devices themselves won't take bytecode directly, you still need a JVM (java virtual machine) bytecode interpreter or JIT (just in time) bytecode compiler for your target system. I know it's available for the Palm Pilot. Rufus
Slow ones ?

"Scott Moore" <samiamsansspam@Sun.COM> wrote in message
> Slow ones ?
Well they don't have to be slow! -- "When you have to choose between a first-rate company with a second-rate product and a second-rate company with a first-rate product, it's never an ideal choice. " -Ed (www.overclockers.com)
Sun used to make a Java chip. I don't know what happened to that.

Generally your write a Java interpreter or a Just-In-Time Compiler for
the platform you are running on. For smaller, embedded platforms you
might want to look into J2ME.

In article <42e7eeef$0$72413$3a2ecee9@news.csolutions.net>,
 "Luc The Perverse" <sll_noSpamlicious_z_XXX_m@cc.usu.edu> wrote:

> "Scott Moore" <samiamsansspam@Sun.COM> wrote in message > news:dc8muo$opo$2@news1nwk.SFbay.Sun.COM... > > Slow ones ? > > > Well they don't have to be slow!
JStamp? I can't name a whole bunch of them but I've used JStamp and its pretty easy. I never benchmarked it, but at 74 Mhz it is pretty fast. -- |\/| /| |2 |< mehaase(at)sas(dot)upenn(dot)edu
"Mark Haase" <mehaase@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Well they don't have to be slow! > > JStamp? > > I can't name a whole bunch of them but I've used JStamp and its > pretty > easy. I never benchmarked it, but at 74 Mhz it is pretty fast.
Well . .. maybe everything is relative. I'm just imagining encrypting or dycrypting with a 4096 bit PGP key -- "When you have to choose between a first-rate company with a second-rate product and a second-rate company with a first-rate product, it's never an ideal choice. " -Ed (www.overclockers.com)
Correlious" <arvinf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sun used to make a Java chip. I don't know what happened to that. > > Generally your write a Java interpreter or a Just-In-Time Compiler > for > the platform you are running on. For smaller, embedded platforms > you > might want to look into J2ME.
LOL I obviously don't know enough about java to write to right questions. -- "When you have to choose between a first-rate company with a second-rate product and a second-rate company with a first-rate product, it's never an ideal choice. " -Ed (www.overclockers.com) "