Wireless Power Transfer

Started by Eric August 16, 2005
Paul Carpenter wrote:
> On 16 Aug, in article
> The main things you don't say > > 1/ Do both sides vibrate synchronously or asynchrously
Synchronously for the most part
> > 2/ Is vibration constant due to operation of environment or like > driving a car over a pot hole?
Like a car driving over a pot hole... the Vibration is a function of the environment this vehicle is in.
> 3/ What temperature range
-20 to +60 C
> > 4/ Size/volume constraints
Not really... smaller than a bread box.
> > 5/ Inside or external environment or other special environments like > aviation, automotive.
it is to be mounted on a peice of industrial equipment
> There are many ways to transfer or generate power but it depends on the > environment, becuase if this is constantly vibrating you could even consider > a 'shaker' genarator and rechargeable battery, like the shaker torches > that can be got. Similar in energy saving to clockwork radios, wind up > battery chargers etc.. >
The 140mW doesn't have to be constant... because I was planning on using this power to trickle charge a battery.
Eric wrote:
> Have have an interesting problem. > > I need to transfer power (7V @ 20mA approx. 140mW) across a 2-3 inch > air gap without using a wire. > > It will be in a high vibration and dirty (ie. greasy, oilly) > evironment. > > Here are my ideas: > > 1) create an air gap transformer > > 2) use super bright LED's and a Solar panel > > Does any one have any experience or knowledge in this area that could > offer some ideas and literature sources on implementing this. > > Thanks, > > Eric >
I think that by the time you get done with some exotic power coupling system you would be way ahead to use a rechargable battery pack that is easy to replace. A typical laptop battery is 4000 mAH or more and 10 to 12 volts. A battery like this would meet the requirement for a week. Not nearly as interesting. Dave Rooney

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference