Camera on RS232 =? Micro-USB module + WebCam

Started by Kouso Wieaka August 25, 2005
Hi,

I recently saw a Micro-USB module on Dontronics's web site
(http://www.dontronics.com/micro-usb.html). Appearently it convert RS232 to
USB and vice versa.

Would it possible (how) to use this Micro-USB module con connect and an
off-the shelf USB webcam  to a micro controller such as ATMega or PIC?
(I do not need high speed or high resolution images)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:31:19 +1000, Kouso Wieaka <kw@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it possible (how) to use this Micro-USB module con connect and an > off-the shelf USB webcam to a micro controller such as ATMega or PIC?
No. Because Micro-USB module and a webcamera are both USB devices, and you would need a USB host. Vadim
In article <opsv2hqthly1ubid@news>,
 Vadim Borshchev <vadim.borshchev@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:31:19 +1000, Kouso Wieaka <kw@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Would it possible (how) to use this Micro-USB module con connect and an > > off-the shelf USB webcam to a micro controller such as ATMega or PIC? > > No. Because Micro-USB module and a webcamera are both USB devices, and > you would need a USB host. > > Vadim
Does anyone make a USB host module? I couldn't find one the last time I looked. -- sig goes here
Kouso Wieaka napisa&#4294967295;(a):
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=2987
Kouso Wieaka wrote:
> Would it possible (how) to use this Micro-USB module con connect and an > off-the shelf USB webcam to a micro controller such as ATMega or PIC? > (I do not need high speed or high resolution images)
Take a look at the CMUcam, it already outputs serial and may fit your needs. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~cmucam/ I've not used this product, but it resembles some designed-in-house camera boards I've used that worked rather nicely. Later, Daniel
In message <opsv2hqthly1ubid@news> - Vadim Borshchev
<vadim.borshchev@127.0.0.1>Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:12:19 +0100 writes:
:>
:>On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:31:19 +1000, Kouso Wieaka <kw@gmail.com> wrote:
:>
:>> Would it possible (how) to use this Micro-USB module con connect and an
:>> off-the shelf USB webcam  to a micro controller such as ATMega or PIC?
:>
:>No.  Because Micro-USB module and a webcamera are both USB devices, and
:>you would need a USB host.
:>
:>   Vadim

OTOH, if you need a serially-connected camera, look at the Wincam Live from
StarDot technologies - http://www.stardot-tech.com/wincam_live/

I've had one for ages, and did a port of support software to OS/2 - StarDot
was
very good about providing specs, protocol information etc.

-Derek

"Kouso Wieaka" <kw@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > I recently saw a Micro-USB module on Dontronics's web site > (http://www.dontronics.com/micro-usb.html). Appearently it convert RS232
> USB and vice versa. > > Would it possible (how) to use this Micro-USB module con connect and an > off-the shelf USB webcam to a micro controller such as ATMega or PIC? > (I do not need high speed or high resolution images) >
The STV0680B chip from ST that is used in numerous cheapo webcams has an RS232 interface, although not for tethered video. You may have to dismantle a webcam and add a RS232 driver. Wim

Memfault Beyond the Launch