UML Diagranming Tool Recommendations

Started by Mr. C October 12, 2005
Does anybody in this group recommend any good diagramming tool for UML
(Unified Modelling Language)?  I have tried Smartdraw and it looks OK.
MS Word, although no extra cost, is pretty clunky when things need to
be moved and re-arranged.  I am looking at something dedicated to UML
that does not contain capability for floor plans and other un-related
things.

I know there are some packages for several thousand that do all kinds
of things but they do more than I want and are completely out of my
price range.  I am willing to spend $100-200 or so for a package that
is good - good at just drawing and maintaining the various UML
diagrams.  Any recommendations?  Thanks.

Lou
Mr. C wrote:
>Does anybody in this group recommend any good diagramming tool for UML >(Unified Modelling Language)? I have tried Smartdraw and it looks OK. >MS Word, although no extra cost, is pretty clunky when things need to >be moved and re-arranged. I am looking at something dedicated to UML >that does not contain capability for floor plans and other un-related >things.
>I know there are some packages for several thousand that do all kinds >of things but they do more than I want and are completely out of my >price range. I am willing to spend $100-200 or so for a package that >is good - good at just drawing and maintaining the various UML >diagrams. Any recommendations? Thanks.
If all you want is an UML drawing tool, without any code generation, analysis, etc. capabilities, any good vector drawing program that allows you to define shapes as "blocks" or "templates" should be OK. Microsoft's Visio comes with a set of predefined UML symbols. Any low-end CAD system (Autosketch, Turbocad, Quickcad, etc.) should also be usable for this purpose. For something beyond that, check http://argouml.tigris.org/ Roberto Waltman [ Please reply to the group, ] [ return address is invalid. ]
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:45:16 -0400, Mr. C wrote:

>Does anybody in this group recommend any good diagramming tool for UML >(Unified Modelling Language)? I have tried Smartdraw and it looks OK. >MS Word, although no extra cost, is pretty clunky when things need to >be moved and re-arranged. I am looking at something dedicated to UML >that does not contain capability for floor plans and other un-related >things. > >I know there are some packages for several thousand that do all kinds >of things but they do more than I want and are completely out of my >price range. I am willing to spend $100-200 or so for a package that >is good - good at just drawing and maintaining the various UML >diagrams. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Don't know if this will help http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8334
Try eclipse

This query is more suited to comp.object.

ArgoUML is a freeware UML tool that might work for you.

--
EventStudio System Designer 2.5 - http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
Sequence Diagram Based Real-time and Embedded System Design Tool

"Mr. C" <fakeemail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anybody in this group recommend any good diagramming tool for UML
<snip> I use Enterprise Architect. It's pitched towards IT but I've used it successfully in embedded work. It does more than you want, including code generation (class framework only) to Java and C++ (among others), and the associated "reverse engineering", which is very good for generating diagrams from existing C++ code. It can also work with common revision control systems and - most importantly - is in your quoted price range. The link is: www.sparxsystems.com.au -- Peter Bushell http://www.software-integrity.com/
Mr. C wrote:
> Does anybody in this group recommend any good diagramming tool for UML > (Unified Modelling Language)? I have tried Smartdraw and it looks OK. > MS Word, although no extra cost, is pretty clunky when things need to > be moved and re-arranged. I am looking at something dedicated to UML > that does not contain capability for floor plans and other un-related > things. > > I know there are some packages for several thousand that do all kinds > of things but they do more than I want and are completely out of my > price range. I am willing to spend $100-200 or so for a package that > is good - good at just drawing and maintaining the various UML > diagrams. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Take a look to http://www.jeckle.de/umltools.htm regards Martin
Just to add another one to the list:
ProxyDesigner - http://www.proxysource.com/

Nice freeware thingie, has some quirks but works really fine most of
the time.

// Erik N=E4slund

Umbrello http://uml.sourceforge.net/index.php Regards Heinz
Mr. C schrieb:
> Does anybody in this group recommend any good diagramming tool for UML > (Unified Modelling Language)? I have tried Smartdraw and it looks OK. > MS Word, although no extra cost, is pretty clunky when things need to > be moved and re-arranged. I am looking at something dedicated to UML > that does not contain capability for floor plans and other un-related > things. > > I know there are some packages for several thousand that do all kinds > of things but they do more than I want and are completely out of my > price range. I am willing to spend $100-200 or so for a package that > is good - good at just drawing and maintaining the various UML > diagrams. Any recommendations? Thanks. > > Lou
Maybe the Cadifra UML Editor could be something for you. Its a small and simple tool to draw UML diagrams. See www.cadifra.com. The tool does not generate code. There is fully functional free evaluation version (no time limit) available: www.cadifra.com/download. Dave

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference