IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

Started by rziak October 23, 2005
Hello,

I wonder if anyone makes something like Parallax did with PIC, but
populated with ARM ?

Anyone selling DIP40 device with ARM and FPGA and ethernet? With
bootloader, RTOS and interpreter for fast prototyping?

Digi has Connect ME device, but it is not DIP and anly 5 I/Os and UART
from the ARM device is accessible. Lantronix has Xport with 3 I/O and
UART and they are releasing new Xport AR in November with 3 UARTs and
around 13 I/Os (if I am not mistaken).

Did anyone put together an SBC size of DIP40 with modern embedded
controller? Or maybe there is an open design or open source project
runing?

Well, in case there is not, I estimate the parts for such device may be
around $10 for ARM with integrated SDRAM/FLASH and $10 for FPGA plus
few $ for PCB, labour, connectors. The ethernet is a nice connectivity
option but definitely not a must.

The prototyping could have RS232/TTL converter, DIP40 socket, 1 or 2
A/D, few LEDs and prototyping area.

With Lua interpreter the prototyping would be a breeze.

I will apreaciate ideas, links, advices, concerns and parts suggestions
(high integration low pin-count types).

Thanks

rziak wrote:
> Hello, > > I wonder if anyone makes something like Parallax did with PIC, but > populated with ARM ? > > Anyone selling DIP40 device with ARM and FPGA and ethernet? With > bootloader, RTOS and interpreter for fast prototyping? > > ... > > Did anyone put together an SBC size of DIP40 with modern embedded > controller? Or maybe there is an open design or open source project > runing?
We posted an update of the 100mmx100mm open source board at "pcb dot linnix dot com / sbc1 dot html". But we need work on the Compact Flash and FPGA config flash. The board is headed in the right direction, but incomplete.
> > Well, in case there is not, I estimate the parts for such device may be > around $10 for ARM with integrated SDRAM/FLASH and $10 for FPGA plus > few $ for PCB, labour, connectors. The ethernet is a nice connectivity > option but definitely not a must.
The ARM (AT91RM9200) is around $20. 64M SDRAM is around $10. Xilinx FPGA is arounf $15. Ethernet and USB Phy are around $10. It could be build for less than $100.
> > The prototyping could have RS232/TTL converter, DIP40 socket, 1 or 2 > A/D, few LEDs and prototyping area.
There are two pin headers for expansion, i.e. 80 for FPGA and 50 for memory.
> > With Lua interpreter the prototyping would be a breeze. > > I will apreaciate ideas, links, advices, concerns and parts suggestions > (high integration low pin-count types).
Contact us if you are good at gSchem (schematic capture) and pcb (layout).

You mean, like this? http://www.micromint.com/products/bolt.htm -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
You can look here: http://www.olimex.com/dev/lpc-h40.html - Dejan
dejan wrote:
> "rziak" <news@ziak.com> wrote in message > news:1130036594.626061.194370@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > Hello, > > > > I wonder if anyone makes something like Parallax did with PIC, but > > populated with ARM ?
> You can look here: > > http://www.olimex.com/dev/lpc-h40.html > > - Dejan
This is almost it, also price seems to be closer. Thanks!
Rich Webb wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2005 20:03:14 -0700, "rziak" <news@ziak.com> wrote: > > >Hello, > > > >I wonder if anyone makes something like Parallax did with PIC, but > >populated with ARM ? > > You mean, like this? http://www.micromint.com/products/bolt.htm > > -- > Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
This one is good, but $99 feels too much. Thanks for the link!
I found another one: http://www.dontronics.com/pasat.html although on the higher price range.
You might want to look at this one. http://www.newmicros.com/ $29
rziak wrote:
> Hello, > > > Did anyone put together an SBC size of DIP40 with modern embedded > controller? Or maybe there is an open design or open source project > runing? > > Well, in case there is not, I estimate the parts for such device may > be around $10 for ARM with integrated SDRAM/FLASH and $10 for FPGA > plus few $ for PCB, labour, connectors. The ethernet is a nice > connectivity option but definitely not a must. > > The prototyping could have RS232/TTL converter, DIP40 socket, 1 or 2 > A/D, few LEDs and prototyping area. > > With Lua interpreter the prototyping would be a breeze. > > I will apreaciate ideas, links, advices, concerns and parts > suggestions (high integration low pin-count types). >
I am sure we can arrange a few AT91SAM7 samples for such a project. This would give you USB power as well.
-- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This message is intended to be my own personal view and it may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
rziak wrote:
> Hello, > > I wonder if anyone makes something like Parallax did with PIC, but > populated with ARM ? > > Well, in case there is not, I estimate the parts for such device may be > around $10 for ARM with integrated SDRAM/FLASH and $10 for FPGA plus > few $ for PCB, labour, connectors. The ethernet is a nice connectivity > option but definitely not a must.
Olimex with their LPC2106 is the closest (especially as the price goes). But all the units mentioned here are modest. I thought about putting the CPU (ARM or ??) with XC2S15 (452 cells, 15k gates FPGA). Just wondering if barebone Ethernet can be implemented in XC2S15 ? Or CAN transceiver ? Started actually considering Lantronix DSTni-EX, has all the bells and whistles of networking processor. But have bad feeling about the power needs. And there was this discussion on this board few weeks ago about 186 being non "modern" CPU. Someone would be interested to contribute their knowhow to such opensource project ? Seems Atmel wants to provide some samples, although I was thinking more Philips LPC2100 series, but options are open. I would be willing to dedicate some resources to such project, but I prefer crunching algorithms on keyboard before soldering. Hopefully such device can be done for under $30 CDN parts and labour.

Memfault Beyond the Launch