Started by bsder November 9, 2005
Hi

I found the LPC2138 ARM7TDMI-S from Philips is a very low-cost board can
be used as an embedded router. Can anyone tell me how to install Linux
or FreeBSD on to this board's Flash memory?

http://www.embeddedartists.com/products/boards/lpc2138_100eth.php

Thanks
Sam
>Hi > >I found the LPC2138 ARM7TDMI-S from Philips is a very low-cost board can >be used as an embedded router. Can anyone tell me how to install Linux >or FreeBSD on to this board's Flash memory? > >http://www.embeddedartists.com/products/boards/lpc2138_100eth.php > >Thanks >Sam
Sam, While this is a nice board, I don't think you manage to install any of the OS you mention. The problem is that those Philips ARM incarnations don't have an external databus. You would need it to connect enough RAM and probably also some kind of mass storeage like a CompactFlash to store the filesystem etc. The cheapest platfomrs to mess around with uC Linux and the like are IMHO certain off the shelf routers which you hack and load with your own code. But since you are after creating a router.... HTH Markus
If you are after a tiny ARM7 RTOS then you might like to take a look at FreeRTOS.org (http://www.FreeRTOS.org). There are plenty of demos (including TCP/IP) for ARM7 devices, but not unfortunately for this particular board. Regards, Richard. http://www.FreeRTOS.org
"Richard" <nospam@thanks.com> schreef in bericht
>> While this is a nice board, I don't think you manage to install any of >> the OS you mention. The problem is that those Philips ARM incarnations >> don't have an external databus. You would need it to connect enough >> RAM and probably also some kind of mass storeage like a CompactFlash >> to store the filesystem etc. > > If you are after a tiny ARM7 RTOS then you might like to take a look at > FreeRTOS.org (http://www.FreeRTOS.org). There are plenty of demos > (including TCP/IP) for ARM7 devices, but not unfortunately for this > particular board.
It says on the webpage that it comes with an RTOS, but they don't say which one.
On 2005-11-09, bsder <snort_sam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I found the LPC2138 ARM7TDMI-S from Philips is a very low-cost > board can be used as an embedded router.
Possibly.
> Can anyone tell me how to install Linux > or FreeBSD on to this board's Flash memory?
There's no way to run Linux or *BSD. The board would need a lot more memory. You might be able to get a smaller RTOS like eCos or uC/OS-II and LWIP running. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm meditating on at the FORMALDEHYDE and the visi.com ASBESTOS leaking into my PERSONAL SPACE!!

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference