Forums

Need DSP Board with Ethernet and Audio

Started by Okay Alex November 9, 2005
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for an SBC with on-board 100Mbps Ethernet, a stereo 16-bit, 48-kHz audio 
codec, and a DSP for MP3 encoding/decoding.  Available software libraries for a TCP/IP 
stack and MP3 codec would be a bonus.  I'm currently only in the research stage, so I'm 
not tied to any particular processor.  As far as DSP speed is concerned, I'm not quite 
sure.  The device will need to be capable of encoding a stereo audio feed and streaming 
it to a remote computer in real-time.  Does anyone know of any companies that 
manufacture such a board?  I've tried searching on Google, but I've found it difficult 
to get results based on my specifications.  Are there any other sites I could use to 
find a board with these specifications?

Thanks,
Alex

> I'm looking for an SBC with on-board 100Mbps Ethernet, a stereo 16-bit, 48-kHz audio > codec, and a DSP for MP3 encoding/decoding. Available software libraries for a TCP/IP
Why does it have to be a DSP? If you just want to encode an MP3 stream onto Ethernet, you can use a general-purpose SBC.
larwe wrote:
> Why does it have to be a DSP? If you just want to encode an MP3 stream > onto Ethernet, you can use a general-purpose SBC.
Thanks for the suggestion. Any recommendations on a general-purpose SBC?

> > Why does it have to be a DSP? If you just want to encode an MP3 stream > > onto Ethernet, you can use a general-purpose SBC. > > Thanks for the suggestion. Any recommendations on a general-purpose SBC?
Depends on your form factor. If you are just playing around at this stage of the game, I'd suggest using whatever spare PC you have lying about. Otherwise look at one of the Eden-based SBCs like EBC-3610 from www.bcmcom.com or the equivalent product (the part# eludes me) from Advantech.
larwe wrote:
> >>>Why does it have to be a DSP? If you just want to encode an MP3 stream >>>onto Ethernet, you can use a general-purpose SBC. >> >>Thanks for the suggestion. Any recommendations on a general-purpose SBC? > > > Depends on your form factor. If you are just playing around at this > stage of the game, I'd suggest using whatever spare PC you have lying > about. Otherwise look at one of the Eden-based SBCs like EBC-3610 from > www.bcmcom.com or the equivalent product (the part# eludes me) from > Advantech. >
Any of these boards cost under 100 USD? If not I rather get one from Soekie.com Sam.
bsder wrote:

> Any of these boards cost under 100 USD? If not I rather get one from > Soekie.com
What will you get from them for $100 that has the necessary peripherals and the required CPU horsepower to encode MP3 audio in realtime?
larwe wrote:
> Depends on your form factor. If you are just playing around at this > stage of the game, I'd suggest using whatever spare PC you have lying > about. Otherwise look at one of the Eden-based SBCs like EBC-3610 from > www.bcmcom.com or the equivalent product (the part# eludes me) from > Advantech.
I'm not really playing around at this point, I'm just doing the initial research for a commercial product we plan on creating. I'm trying to find out what's available for our application, so I can determine the cheapest/easiest/quickest solution(s). It seems like the Eden-based SBCs from BCM would be overkill. I'm looking for a fairly minimalist baord containing as few "extras" as possible. By that, I mean that I don't need a ton of memory, USB, wireless, firewire, IDE, Compact Flash, or any of those features. I really just need a microcontroller with enough power for real-time MP3 encoding and a TCP/IP stack, an AC97 codec, ethernet, and a UART. Although I was initially considering using ucLinux, I'm starting to think that an OS might not even be necessary and may needlessly increase my hardware requirements. Any thoughts or suggestions? Alex
Okay Alex wrote:

> I'm not really playing around at this point, I'm just doing the initial research for a > commercial product we plan on creating. I'm trying to find out what's available for our > application, so I can determine the cheapest/easiest/quickest solution(s). It seems > like the Eden-based SBCs from BCM would be overkill. I'm looking for a fairly > minimalist baord containing as few "extras" as possible. By that, I mean that I don't > need a ton of memory, USB, wireless, firewire, IDE, Compact Flash, or any of those
The problem is that if you buy an off-the-shelf board with enough CPU horsepower to do your bulk task, these extras are going to come along for the ride, because most users of such boards require them. If you want something that has _exactly_ what you need and no more, you'll need to custom-build it. This is why I asked if you are playing about. As a prototype for a commercial product, you can prove the design concept and perhaps much of the software on an overkill SBC. You can then develop your real hardware platform, or contract the development out.
> initially considering using ucLinux, I'm starting to think that an OS might not even be > necessary and may needlessly increase my hardware requirements. Any thoughts or > suggestions?
You really don't want to be reinventing wheels like a TCP/IP stack. De facto or de jure, you're going to be running an OS on this device.
I think there is some really cool stuff going on with the Blackfin.

There is a low cost board called the stamp and it can be used with all the 
free stuff (compile, debug, uClinux) until your application needs something 
more (or less, depending on how you look at it).

ADSP-BF533 STAMP - http://www.camsig.co.uk/datasheets/DSPStamp.pdf the board 
is about 1 inch square with all th epinouts you need.

"Okay Alex" <nospam@forme.com> wrote in message 
news:5TKcf.7454$AS6.2323@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> larwe wrote: >> Depends on your form factor. If you are just playing around at this >> stage of the game, I'd suggest using whatever spare PC you have lying >> about. Otherwise look at one of the Eden-based SBCs like EBC-3610 from >> www.bcmcom.com or the equivalent product (the part# eludes me) from >> Advantech. > > I'm not really playing around at this point, I'm just doing the initial > research for a commercial product we plan on creating. I'm trying to find > out what's available for our application, so I can determine the > cheapest/easiest/quickest solution(s). It seems like the Eden-based SBCs > from BCM would be overkill. I'm looking for a fairly minimalist baord > containing as few "extras" as possible. By that, I mean that I don't need > a ton of memory, USB, wireless, firewire, IDE, Compact Flash, or any of > those features. I really just need a microcontroller with enough power > for real-time MP3 encoding and a TCP/IP stack, an AC97 codec, ethernet, > and a UART. Although I was initially considering using ucLinux, I'm > starting to think that an OS might not even be necessary and may > needlessly increase my hardware requirements. Any thoughts or > suggestions? > > Alex
"Sonic" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message 
news:wx0df.3068$rP3.568@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>I think there is some really cool stuff going on with the Blackfin. > > There is a low cost board called the stamp and it can be used with all the > free stuff (compile, debug, uClinux) until your application needs > something more (or less, depending on how you look at it). > > ADSP-BF533 STAMP - http://www.camsig.co.uk/datasheets/DSPStamp.pdf the > board is about 1 inch square with all th epinouts you need. > > "Okay Alex" <nospam@forme.com> wrote in message > news:5TKcf.7454$AS6.2323@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net... >> larwe wrote: >>> Depends on your form factor. If you are just playing around at this >>> stage of the game, I'd suggest using whatever spare PC you have lying >>> about. Otherwise look at one of the Eden-based SBCs like EBC-3610 from >>> www.bcmcom.com or the equivalent product (the part# eludes me) from >>> Advantech. >> >> I'm not really playing around at this point, I'm just doing the initial >> research for a commercial product we plan on creating. I'm trying to >> find out what's available for our application, so I can determine the >> cheapest/easiest/quickest solution(s). It seems like the Eden-based SBCs >> from BCM would be overkill. I'm looking for a fairly minimalist baord >> containing as few "extras" as possible. By that, I mean that I don't >> need a ton of memory, USB, wireless, firewire, IDE, Compact Flash, or any >> of those features. I really just need a microcontroller with enough >> power for real-time MP3 encoding and a TCP/IP stack, an AC97 codec, >> ethernet, and a UART. Although I was initially considering using >> ucLinux, I'm starting to think that an OS might not even be necessary and >> may needlessly increase my hardware requirements. Any thoughts or >> suggestions? >> >> Alex >
Or the opensource hardware blackfin stamp 500MHz BF533 + 128MB ram + ethernet http://blackfin.uclinux.org/ http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=buy_stuff http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0%2C2877%2CBF533%25252DSTAMP%2C00.html BF533 http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0%2C2877%2CBF537%25252DSTAMP%2C00.html BF537 Very good for the BF533 US$170 from digikey.com audio module is a bit pricey at US120 but the whole thing works well (got one sitting on the desk here) Try one online (doesn't have audio hooked up) http://www.techonline.com/community/prod_eval/devel_systems/37200 Alex