Need DSP Board with Ethernet and Audio

Started by Okay Alex November 9, 2005
Alex Gibson wrote:
> "Sonic" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message > news:wx0df.3068$rP3.568@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk... > >>I think there is some really cool stuff going on with the Blackfin. >> >>There is a low cost board called the stamp and it can be used with all the >>free stuff (compile, debug, uClinux) until your application needs >>something more (or less, depending on how you look at it). >> >>ADSP-BF533 STAMP - http://www.camsig.co.uk/datasheets/DSPStamp.pdf the >>board is about 1 inch square with all th epinouts you need. >> >>"Okay Alex" <nospam@forme.com> wrote in message >>news:5TKcf.7454$AS6.2323@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net... >> >>>larwe wrote: >>> >>>>Depends on your form factor. If you are just playing around at this >>>>stage of the game, I'd suggest using whatever spare PC you have lying >>>>about. Otherwise look at one of the Eden-based SBCs like EBC-3610 from >>>>www.bcmcom.com or the equivalent product (the part# eludes me) from >>>>Advantech. >>> >>>I'm not really playing around at this point, I'm just doing the initial >>>research for a commercial product we plan on creating. I'm trying to >>>find out what's available for our application, so I can determine the >>>cheapest/easiest/quickest solution(s). It seems like the Eden-based SBCs >>>from BCM would be overkill. I'm looking for a fairly minimalist baord >>>containing as few "extras" as possible. By that, I mean that I don't >>>need a ton of memory, USB, wireless, firewire, IDE, Compact Flash, or any >>>of those features. I really just need a microcontroller with enough >>>power for real-time MP3 encoding and a TCP/IP stack, an AC97 codec, >>>ethernet, and a UART. Although I was initially considering using >>>ucLinux, I'm starting to think that an OS might not even be necessary and >>>may needlessly increase my hardware requirements. Any thoughts or >>>suggestions? >>> >>>Alex >> > > Or the opensource hardware blackfin stamp > 500MHz BF533 + 128MB ram + ethernet > http://blackfin.uclinux.org/ > http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=buy_stuff > http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0%2C2877%2CBF533%25252DSTAMP%2C00.html BF533 > http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0%2C2877%2CBF537%25252DSTAMP%2C00.html BF537 > Very good for the BF533 US$170 from digikey.com > audio module is a bit pricey at US120 > but the whole thing works well (got one sitting on the desk here) > > Try one online (doesn't have audio hooked up) > http://www.techonline.com/community/prod_eval/devel_systems/37200 > > Alex > >
Is there any SBC under 100 USD? I just need 1 or 2 functions, eg. firewall, dhcpd and routing. Sam
bsder wrote:

> Is there any SBC under 100 USD? I just need 1 or 2 functions, eg. > firewall, dhcpd and routing.
And audio I/O and enough processing power to handle the MP3 encoding. No, you are not going to meet this price target with a COTS board.
"Okay Alex" <nospam@forme.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hello everyone, > > I'm looking for an SBC with on-board 100Mbps Ethernet, a stereo 16-bit, > 48-kHz audio codec, and a DSP for MP3 encoding/decoding. Available > software libraries for a TCP/IP stack and MP3 codec would be a bonus. I'm > currently only in the research stage, so I'm not tied to any particular > processor. As far as DSP speed is concerned, I'm not quite sure. The > device will need to be capable of encoding a stereo audio feed and > streaming it to a remote computer in real-time. Does anyone know of any > companies that manufacture such a board? I've tried searching on Google, > but I've found it difficult to get results based on my specifications. > Are there any other sites I could use to find a board with these > specifications? > > Thanks, > Alex
Not sure about the Encoding performance of an ARM7, but otherwise the AT91SAM7X256 could be a good choice. There are ARM versions of MP3 from Spirit, and plenty of TCP/IP stacks. You need to run an I2S codec, not AC97. Next step up in the Atmel ARM family, would be an AT91RM9200. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may bot be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference