RTOS porting

Started by abhiraj11 November 28, 2005
Hi,
    Can any one tell me how to start porting a RTOS on ARM. I mean what
exactly should i Study to port a RTOS.
Thank You.
Abhiraj

"abhiraj11" <abhiraj11@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi, > Can any one tell me how to start porting a RTOS on ARM. I mean what > exactly should i Study to port a RTOS.
I'm not a porting expert, but I think I have a few useful clues for you: - Make sure that it isn't already ported. - Determine how portable the various parts of RTOS code are. - Use as much as possible a high level language like C. - Use a popular compiler/assembler/linker toolchain. - Get a popular reference board, a popular JTAG debugger and a popular IDE that supports your toolchain and debugger. - Look at standalone sample IDE projects for ARM and for architectures that you are familiar with. - Look at RTOS sample IDE projects for ARM and for architectures that you are familiar with. - Look at other ports of the RTOS. - Look at other RTOSes ported to ARM. BTW, which RTOS are we talking about?
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:09:09 +0100, "Boudewijn Dijkstra"
<usenet@bdijkstra.tmfweb.nl> wrote:

>"abhiraj11" <abhiraj11@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht >news:_ZOdnb1WGJYtZhfeRVn-iQ@giganews.com... >> Hi, >> Can any one tell me how to start porting a RTOS on ARM. I mean what >> exactly should i Study to port a RTOS. > >I'm not a porting expert, but I think I have a few useful clues for you: > >- Make sure that it isn't already ported. >- Determine how portable the various parts of RTOS code are. >- Use as much as possible a high level language like C. >- Use a popular compiler/assembler/linker toolchain. >- Get a popular reference board, a popular JTAG debugger and a popular IDE >that supports your toolchain and debugger. >- Look at standalone sample IDE projects for ARM and for architectures that >you are familiar with. >- Look at RTOS sample IDE projects for ARM and for architectures that you are >familiar with. >- Look at other ports of the RTOS. >- Look at other RTOSes ported to ARM. > >BTW, which RTOS are we talking about?
Since some (small?) portion of the RTOS is likely to be written in assembly language, study the ported-from architecture and its instruction set(s) in addition to the same for the ARM. -- Dan Henry
"abhiraj11" <abhiraj11@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > Can any one tell me how to start porting a RTOS on ARM. I mean what > exactly should i Study to port a RTOS. > Thank You. > Abhiraj >
The FreeRTOS WEB site has reproduced a report written by two students that details their porting efforts. Take a look at the ColdFire port pages, also the "How FreeRTOS Works" might be of interest. URL in signature below. Regards, Richard. http://www.FreeRTOS.org
Your development board should come with startup assembler code for
getting RAM, etc. to work.  And your compiler vender should give you
the rest to get a c/c++ environment up & running.  I always get a small
c/c++ program up & running first.  Then, I port the RTOS.  Note, each
RTOS has it's own porting guide.

If you lack experience with an RTOS, you might find the book
MicroC/OS-II by Labrosse helpful.  It's a real small RTOS and I'm sure
it's been ported to arm.

Jim