Cheapest micro running linux?

Started by Andreas December 1, 2004
Hi,
I ask me what is the cheapest micro capable of running (�C)Linux. I know
many ARMs, H8, Motorola Coldfire... Is there anything else? What derivat
is suggested? No special needs for power consumption, clock/MIPS,
integrated peripherials.

Thanks!
Andreas
> I ask me what is the cheapest micro capable of running (�C)Linux. I know > many ARMs, H8, Motorola Coldfire... Is there anything else? What derivat
Is this strictly for a technology demonstration? The limiting factor tends to be memory. A cheap micro will require off-chip RAM and flash. A more expensive micro will require only one of those off-chip devices. Lowest overall system cost, probably I would say you're looking at ~$10 for the micro and $3 for RAM (in small quantities), for a low-end ARM7 and say 16Mb RAM.
"Andreas" <somewhere@else.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi, > I ask me what is the cheapest micro capable of running (&#4294967295;C)Linux. I know > many ARMs, H8, Motorola Coldfire... Is there anything else? What derivat > is suggested? No special needs for power consumption, clock/MIPS, > integrated peripherials. > > Thanks! > Andreas
For ARM, the cheapest alternative from Atmel is the AT91M40800 + Add Flash + PSRAM -- Best Regards Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.
Andreas wrote:

> Hi, > I ask me what is the cheapest micro capable of running (=B5C)Linux. I k=
now=20
> many ARMs, H8, Motorola Coldfire... Is there anything else? What deriva=
t=20
> is suggested? No special needs for power consumption, clock/MIPS,=20 > integrated peripherials.
Perhaps a VIA board with a 386 complatible ? For one-of, with the leats work, with plenty of peripherals and everything. from 69$US As far as I know, VIA is the successor of Cyrix. We onve measured 8Watt for Linux including a 3.5" harddrive. Rene --=20 Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net
http://www.compulab.co.il/armcore-gx.htm ?
$51 per 1000, with Linux already configured.

"Andreas" <somewhere@else.com> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message de news:
colj25$pni$02$1@news.t-online.com...
> Hi, > I ask me what is the cheapest micro capable of running (&#4294967295;C)Linux. I know > many ARMs, H8, Motorola Coldfire... Is there anything else? What derivat > is suggested? No special needs for power consumption, clock/MIPS, > integrated peripherials. > > Thanks! > Andreas
Maybe a linksys WRT54G Wireless router.

200-Mhz MIPS-CPU ,  4M-Flash , 16M-Ram , 5 x ethernet ports ,
1 x 54Mb Wi-Fi , allready runs uC-linux , and Linksys GPL'ed the code,
as required , and even included a full MIPS Linux Toolchain(binary) in
the Sourcepackage.

If you add a MAX233 , to the board (solder pads are there) , then you
get 2 x Rs232.

The WRT54GS , has double Ram+Flash , but costs a little more.

Think WRT54G  around $70

Carsten
Well the cheapest ARM based board that you can put uClinux on are:
Dlink DI614+ Rev A. About ~$US20 off of ebay, Compaq CP-2E/2W ~$US15 off of
ebay, and other (i.e. WAP11, AP9000, CompUSA 4 port router (FMI)). Some
soldering required.

--
Greg Holdren
greg (dot) holdren (at) <initials of company> (dot) com