LPC2101 development kit, which one?

Started by Joerg December 6, 2005
Hello Folks,

The Philips ARM series had been out of my price range but the LPC2101
finally seems to be in reach, meaning under $2 in quantity. Now if one
wants to try it out which kit would work? I'd have no problem if it was
for another one of the ARM chips as they seem to be quite compatible.

The only kit for the lower number parts I found at Digikey was the
KS2106 LPC210x Kickstart kit. It is listed to be for the LPC2104 through
2106. Unfortunately there is no data sheet on it and the IAR site
doesn't find it. What I'd need for kicking the tires would be the IAR
suite or something similar, a small experimental board (which seems to
be in that kit) and a USB programmer (no word about that one).

Does anyone use this KS2106 kit? Is it the complete deal to get started?

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Given that I know (from the msp430 list) that you want the ADC, you could go for the LPC-H2138 from www.olimex.com. A lot more ROM and RAM than 2101, but it has the ADC, and it's always good to have extra headroom when developing. Should be under $100, shipped to you with JTAG adapter.
"Joerg" <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote in message
> Hello Folks, > > The Philips ARM series had been out of my price range but the LPC2101 > finally seems to be in reach, meaning under $2 in quantity. Now if one > wants to try it out which kit would work? I'd have no problem if it was > for another one of the ARM chips as they seem to be quite compatible. > > The only kit for the lower number parts I found at Digikey was the KS2106 > LPC210x Kickstart kit. It is listed to be for the LPC2104 through 2106. > Unfortunately there is no data sheet on it and the IAR site doesn't find > it. What I'd need for kicking the tires would be the IAR suite or > something similar, a small experimental board (which seems to be in that > kit) and a USB programmer (no word about that one). > > Does anyone use this KS2106 kit? Is it the complete deal to get started?
The new Keil board might be better. The LPC2104/5/6 are the oldest LPC2000 chips, and the LPC2101/2/3 are the newest, with quite some differences. http://www.keil.com/mcb2103/ Karl Olsen
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 08:48:04 +0100, the renowned "Karl Olsen"
<kro@nospam.post3.tele.dk> wrote:

> >"Joerg" <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote in message >news:Fmslf.32100$tV6.4515@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net... >> Hello Folks, >> >> The Philips ARM series had been out of my price range but the LPC2101 >> finally seems to be in reach, meaning under $2 in quantity. Now if one >> wants to try it out which kit would work? I'd have no problem if it was >> for another one of the ARM chips as they seem to be quite compatible. >> >> The only kit for the lower number parts I found at Digikey was the KS2106 >> LPC210x Kickstart kit. It is listed to be for the LPC2104 through 2106. >> Unfortunately there is no data sheet on it and the IAR site doesn't find >> it. What I'd need for kicking the tires would be the IAR suite or >> something similar, a small experimental board (which seems to be in that >> kit) and a USB programmer (no word about that one). >> >> Does anyone use this KS2106 kit? Is it the complete deal to get started? > >The new Keil board might be better. The LPC2104/5/6 are the oldest LPC2000 >chips, and the LPC2101/2/3 are the newest, with quite some differences. > >http://www.keil.com/mcb2103/ > >Karl Olsen
That's the one I have. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
Joerg,

right now the Keil Board as mentioned is definitely the best choice
(the only one on top of that ;-).
You can order one here:  www.lpctools.com  for $99.
LPCtools ships usually next day from CA, so you might have a board in 2
days.
p.s. you do NOT want to use the LPC2104/5/6 board because those devices
do not have an ADC nor a 32 kHz Real-Time Clock nor Counter inputs nor
Fast I/Os nor a buffered SPI....
As Karl mentioned, the 2101/2/3 are the newest Philips ARM chips, the
2104/5/6 the oldest.

An Schwob

Hello Clifford,

> Given that I know (from the msp430 list) that you want the ADC, > you could go for the LPC-H2138 from www.olimex.com. A lot more > ROM and RAM than 2101, but it has the ADC, and it's always good > to have extra headroom when developing. Should be under $100, > shipped to you with JTAG adapter.
Sparkfun has that one in the US for $65. But you'd need a USB programmer. Those 'new and improved' laptops are USB only. The 2101 also has the ADC but it's not in the data sheet (yet?). The whole section 6.8 where its TOC says the ADC is spec'd was missing from the data sheet on the Philips server. Really strange. Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
Hello Karl,

> The new Keil board might be better. The LPC2104/5/6 are the oldest LPC2000 > chips, and the LPC2101/2/3 are the newest, with quite some differences. >
Working directly with the 2101 would be best indeed. Any version above 2103 is off limits for most of my projects because of prohibitive cost. I'll check that out. Keil has no pricing on their web site so one has to go through the stone age quoting rigamaroo. A bit strange, oh well. Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
Hello Spehro,

>>http://www.keil.com/mcb2103/ > > That's the one I have. >
How do you program it? Through the Keil ULink USB adapter? Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
Hello Spehro,

> Actually, I misspoke. I have the mcb2130, which has a serial port for > download. Have not picked up the ULink USB JTAG. >
Most laptops don't have any ports other than USB. That often puts a crimp into things. Anyway, what do you think about ARM? I was never interested because of the high prices until someone on the MSP430 forum pointed out the new Philips devices that can be had for around $2. If that kind of pricing sticks maybe this could become the next 8051 generation. Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:38:51 GMT, the renowned Joerg
<notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote:

>Hello Spehro, > >>>http://www.keil.com/mcb2103/ >> >> That's the one I have. >> > >How do you program it? Through the Keil ULink USB adapter? >
Actually, I misspoke. I have the mcb2130, which has a serial port for download. Have not picked up the ULink USB JTAG. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference